Should you have lights on during the day?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Should you have lights on during the day?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As has been said repeatedly - there is actually no evidence to support your assumption that a yellow top is less like to be subject to saccadic masking or cbdr or any other failure to observe.

People are not invisible, even when wearing a suit.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As has been said repeatedly - there is actually no evidence to support your assumption that a yellow top is less like to be subject to saccadic masking or cbdr or any other failure to observe.

Not invisible, but less noticeable. Just going off the evidence of my own eyes, Bob.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As has been said repeatedly - there is actually no evidence to support your assumption that a yellow top is less like to be subject to saccadic masking or cbdr or any other failure to observe.
True. My club colours are yellow with a bit of red. It does not stop people failing to spot me. On one occassion I was wearing my great big old yellow cycling cape, like a great yellow pimple coming down the road; it did not stop the POLICE driver from pulling out on me.

Ok, that's 3 incidents in about 7 years so hardly regular.
pwa

Post by pwa »

tatanab wrote:
True. My club colours are yellow with a bit of red. It does not stop people failing to spot me. On one occassion I was wearing my great big old yellow cycling cape, like a great yellow pimple coming down the road; it did not stop the POLICE driver from pulling out on me.

I know that nothing you wear, or any lighting, will stop all numpty drivers doing their worst. It's just a matter of tilting the odds more in your favour.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pwa wrote:
tatanab wrote:

I know that nothing you wear, or any lighting, will stop all numpty drivers doing their worst. It's just a matter of tilting the odds more in your favour.

But there is no evidence that it does so. You believe it should, but the evidence does not support that belief.
pwa

Post by pwa »

AlaninWales wrote:
pwa wrote:
tatanab wrote:True. My club colours are yellow with a bit of red. It does not stop people failing to spot me. On one occassion I was wearing my great big old yellow cycling cape, like a great yellow pimple coming down the road; it did not stop the POLICE driver from pulling out on me.

But there is no evidence that it does so. You believe it should, but the evidence does not support that belief.

The only reliable evidence I have is that of my eyes. I have seen analysis of data obtained from road accidents, and that only leaves more questions than answers. So I carry on using what seems best from my own experience.
Bez

Post by Bez »

pwa wrote:If anyone is using daytime lights but not using bright clothing, I suspect you may be miscalculating. From a driver's perspective I think a bright yellow top catches my attention better than a front light in daytime and good light.

From my perspective as a driver I find lights much more effective than coloured clothes.

There are a number of scenarios where, IME, clothing fails but lighting still works. One is when clothing blends in: I have a number of times seen green or even yellow "hi-vis" tops blend in with surrounding foliage. Another is one of the most challenging situations for a driver in terms of visibility, which is going in and out of tree cover in bright sunlight: the effect of the lighting change combined with the glare on the windscreen renders anything in the shadows very difficult to see. IME clothing makes no difference here whereas lights do. Similarly in mist, clothing doesn't make a large difference to conspicuity but decent lights do.

This is all quite aside from the moral or systemic benefits or drawbacks of lighting; the above remarks are purely pragmatic (and largely relate primarily to rural rather than urban environments).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Excellent word:
conspicuity
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Slhould you have lights on during the day?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
(Archaeologists saying)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:
pwa wrote:I know that nothing you wear, or any lighting, will stop all numpty drivers doing their worst. It's just a matter of tilting the odds more in your favour.

Worse, there's evidence that it does not, and theories about the possible reasons why.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bez

Post by Bez »

mjr wrote:there's evidence that it does not

Go on then :)
[XAP]Bob

Re: Slhould you have lights on during the day?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
(Archaeologists saying)

Unless said evidence *ought* to be visible.

The absence of evidence for a second moon sized satellite of the earth is indeed evidence of absence - because we would expect to see such evidence.

There is no evidence for a massive steel spike in the centre of Stonehenge. That is actually evidence of absence, because we would expect to see it.

We ought to see that those wearing yellow are significantly underrepresented in accident statistics, and we don't - that is evidence that the wearing of yellow doesn't actually make a difference in the real world.

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.com/ ... the-roads/
RickH

Post by RickH »

pwa wrote:I know that nothing you wear, or any lighting, will stop all numpty drivers doing their worst.

Although wearing nothing might get people's attention! :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Daytime Lights, hi-vis noddy hat and this is your average every day occurrence :twisted:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1612071403
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember an experiment reported in the cycling press during the 70's

Guy tried cycling the same route at the same time each day wearing different clothing, then recorded close passes and other incidents

Apparently the safest outfit was a dark suit with silver buttons sewn on the shoulders and a toy policeman helmet!