Weather

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roberts8

Weather

Post by roberts8 »

Just cancelled a ride due to cold, wet and miserable weather. When I commuted I would just go but now I have retired I do not go out in rain etc as I must be going soft in my old age. Rain when I am on a ride is no problem, it is just getting out of the door. Just sharing this guilty admission. Roll on Spring.
rjb

Re: Weather

Post by rjb »

Me too, I did my fair share of all weather commuting 24/7 as I was a shift worker. I managed a 10 year spell of not taking the car on my commute a 15 mile round trip. Experienced everything the weather could throw at me, winds, rain, hail, lightning, ice and snow. (Fortunately not a lot of the latter in Somerset). Now I am retired I don't have to go out in the rain. :mrgreen:

Can't sit around the house all day though so will be out for a walk, brolly in hand. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Same here, have commuted in all weathers but now don't need to, turbo session beckons then cinema with son, there will be better days for cycling so do in door stuff on bad days...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Me too.

Commuted by bike for 43 years + racing and audaxes in all weathers. 2.00am start of a 300k in a torrential storm is a particularly vivid memory (it stopped raining after 200k)

Like roberts8 I've cancelled today and looking at the forecast will not be doing anything for much of this week :(
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I turned up for a club ride today expecting to be the only idiot there but found that 4 of my clubmates were equally daft. However enthusiasm soon waned and we called it a day after about an hour!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I really don't mind the cold and wet...less people around, less dogs giving me grief....I can wrap up and I'm in a world of my own.

It's the wind that kills cycling for me, and at this time of year (up on NE coast) there is much less day to day wind than there is in summer. April through to early September the wind NEVER stops, but hit winter...it's like flicking a switch...Bliss !!

Today...1 degree and almost no wind. Wrapped up and had a lovely rattle around the lanes....21 miles, lovely.

Turbotrainer ??....Never... ever.....ever.....EVER......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tiberius wrote:I really don't mind the cold and wet...less people around, less dogs giving me grief....I can wrap up and I'm in a world of my own.

It's the wind that kills cycling for me, and at this time of year (up on NE coast) there is much less day to day wind than there is in summer. April through to early September the wind NEVER stops, but hit winter...it's like flicking a switch...Bliss !!

Today...1 degree and almost no wind. Wrapped up and had a lovely rattle around the lanes....21 miles, lovely.

Turbotrainer ??....Never... ever.....ever.....EVER......

Positive thread alert, remember how in summer one sweats so much, has to carry several liters but it is hard to drink enough, and lots of other people, cyclists and dogs are about :?
Rare indeed that I regret going out, one of the best things about cycling is getting home exhausted and wet.. and diving straight into the bathtub
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

Having read the start of this thread, while sitting under a blanket, in front of the fire, staring at the sleet, i said "buggrit, i'm going for a ride". Afterall, there will come a day that i will no longer be able to ride and will regret all those missed opportunities.

Sleet turned to snow and started to stick. I came back two hours later, cold, covered in mud, damp, filthy bike, and very very content after a lovely ride on snow covered trails. Thawing out now, kit in the washing machine, bike dripping in kitchen , mug of hot choc laced with single malt in my mitt.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

snowing here, white over, no Sunday ride, so I dragged the dog out of bed instead, I wont suffer alone!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My path to the street has hard packed snow with sleet on top and about force 5 wind, lethal! Street has deep slush on top of more hard snow. Bake bread experimentally as on some posts elsewhere is best option. Problem then is I eat the stuff. Certainly not cycling weather here.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Bike maintenance in 'man cave' today :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Its a bit ruddy cold in my man cave today, and as Mrs Dopestrong is home there's no sneaking the stand into the house either :(
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

Same here.
Not been a ride for 10days. and started to get a bit more grumpy than usual.
Did 1 hour on the turbo today,and absolutely hated it.
I've actually resorted to the ubiquitous daily 10k steps,around 5.5 most for me..at a brisk pace of 4mph it's not quite as easy at you may think,and my poor old springer spaniel is knackered.
Must be different muscles used than for cycling,but better than nothing I suppose.
As said, roll on Spring
ossie

Post by ossie »

This winter seems more severe than others of late.

Likewise retired but always looking for a window that doesn't involve ice.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

This time last year - 6 rides = 225 miles.
This year - 2 rides = 73 miles.
No snow, just wind and rain all the time. :x
Did 3 sessions on the turbo - 1 mile each time. mind blowing :oops:

Half a chance tomorrow but going to be hard work against the 17mph headwind coming back. :(
You'll never know if you don't try it.