Weather

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Weather

Post by foxyrider »

So far this winter i've missed one days riding - it was larraping down last Tuesday. Only had one ride in January where temp was above 0c even yesterday's mild weather was -1c average! (that was for a stupid 160 plus km!)

Getting out the door when it's wet is always a job, anything else I don't mind but wet, urgh! Not bothered so much if i'm already out. Wind can be a bugger, worst of all those strong gusty winds that scour the moors around here.

Biggest problem if you wimp out all the time is that you miss bike time and you are less able to cope when you get caught out in condition X.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rain here in London last 2 days = I dont go out, just close the curtains :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ossie wrote:This winter seems more severe than others of late.

Likewise retired but always looking for a window that doesn't involve ice.

No worse than any other,wetter perhaps,but if you live north of say Lancaster,it'll be a little showeryer.
Your retirement may have something to do with your disgruntlement of the weather,I know mine has at times :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

No excuses next week,its forecast a balmy 7-10c but with some rain so I'll try a short 25 mile circuit near home so I can get back if it turns pear shaped.
I know of folks who ride their turbo in the garage all winter, full marks for their single mindedness
They must have some goal they are aiming towards,whereas I just want to keep fit and healthy.
I am on strava,but these days prefer just to get out and ride..showing my age I guess.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

cycleruk wrote:This time last year - 6 rides = 225 miles.
This year - 2 rides = 73 miles.
No snow, just wind and rain all the time. :x
Did 3 sessions on the turbo - 1 mile each time. mind blowing :oops:

Half a chance tomorrow but going to be hard work against the 17mph headwind coming back. :(

I was surprised what a difference the head/tail wind made on my last ride - it was a steady 18-20 mph and I took over 3 hours to do 21 miles on the way out, and 2 1/4 hours to come back. Tbf back had more downhill, but considering the state I was in after the route out (and a bit of hill walking in between) that shouldn't have made that much difference. :P
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
whoof

Post by whoof »

When I raced I would go out on a Sunday club run regardless of how much it was raining but would only do a couple of hours. I also use to ride a turbo-trainer and do intervals rather than the chain-gang if it was raining.

As I no longer race then riding in the pouring rain doesn't appeal. On Saturday me and Mrs Whoof went for a long walk, which I don't mind in the rain On Sunday I didn't venture out of the house for the entire day and did a bit of bike maintenance.

Commuting to work the only weather that stops me from riding is if the wind is that strong large lumps of tree might land on me.

As for the turbo-trainer these days is been used as a bike stand and that's about it.
Debs

Post by Debs »

There are different types of rain, a few spits and spots or very slight drizzle don't bother me especially if i'm all ready on the ride and warmed up, but horizontal rain [windy] is more problematic, and when rain gets heavy it's 'wet' rain and seems to make the journey less safe in traffic - i think motons can have visibility problems and/or don't tend to slow down and take more care in the rain. And then there's temperature, i find at 4 degrees C or lower the dampness makes it feel even colder and one can get wet, then cold, then miserable. The machine can suffer too, so much road muck around which gets slippery to ride on, and plasters bike and rider in brown filth [or rock salt] and one can't see pot-holes clearly on a wet road so the ride can get more uncomfortable
I have a view of a hill some two miles away from my home, if i can't see the hill [fog or mist or misty rain obscures it] it puts me off going out on my bike, too much moisture in the air, not good for breathing deeply, if i can see the hill clearly but there is some overcast and perhaps slight drizzle i may go out for a ride if feel the need for one.

I'm lucky to be retired and can pick my cycle ride days, i don't tend to pick the rainy ones :wink:

Funny thing is i always feel a lot warmer at 0 degrees C in snowy weather when it *feels* fairly dry, than when it's 6 degrees C on a wet rainy day.
This is the problem with the UK, it's often too damp which makes it feel colder and generally less healthy :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The biggest issue for me with rain is that all those nasty potholes rush and hide under the nearest puddle! And plenty of potholes camouflaging themselves awaiting passing "prey".

Ian
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

Saturday was cold (1c) and sunny, with rain forecast for Sunday so off I went. It was fine until I turned off onto the single lane roads I normally prefer. Completely covered in hardpack snow! After another 5 miles or so the inevitable happened. Gingerly I continued very slowly and made it back without another fall. Now I want another set of wheels with grippy tyres on...
robing

Post by robing »

I took up running in winter time when I wasn't so keen to go out on the bike.
Before you know it I joined a running club and did my first marathon last year! :D
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

cycleruk wrote:Did 3 sessions on the turbo - 1 mile each time. mind blowing :oops:

How long does it take to do a mile on your turbo trainer?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We’ve had a great thaw overnight. I can see black roads and green fields again :D
Been over a week since I turned a wheel. I’m ready to go out but not in that! Throwing it down out there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

ANTONISH wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Did 3 sessions on the turbo - 1 mile each time. mind blowing :oops:

How long does it take to do a mile on your turbo trainer?

Only a few minutes, by which time I have run up and down the gears a few times to check if they still work. I only do it to warm the muscles in the legs by which time the mussel in the head has gone dead.

Managed to get out yesterday for the 3rd ride this year. (35 miles and an hour in the caff ' :) )
And now that the forecast is for warmer weather :roll: the turbo has now been confined back of the garage.
(In fact I have put the turbo up for sale on a local web-site.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve a similar mindset to cycleruk regarding turbos. I put a bike on mine just after Xmas with the full intention of using it through icy weather. Used it for 15 minutes which was long enough to remind me why I don’t use it.
Out on the bike today and thinking, as you do, if someone said you can’t ride your bike in the summer unless you do xy hours / week on a turbo during winter then you aren’t allowed out in the summer. I wouldn’t be a cyclist :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Occasionally I can manage 20 minutes on the turbo. That's enough to put me off for a few weeks.
I wonder how long people can endure the turbo if they have one of these "all singing all dancing" machines with a display where you can ride a virtual route competing with virtual cyclists ?