Did I do something wrong?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jdpalmer

Did I do something wrong?

Post by jdpalmer »

Hi everybody,

First time poster here, based in Leeds. After getting fed up of waiting for buses that don't show up, I started to cycle to and from work about 6 months ago. On the whole, I love it. I feel much fitter and alert at work and my commute takes me about half the time as the bus.

Like a lot of people, I was worried about the risks of cycling on busy roads. Barring one incident in which a car pulled out on me at a junction, I've significantly gained in confidence.

I feel a little bit shaken up/tense after a slight incident this morning, however. I was in a cycle lane and had just reached a point where the cycle lane ends in the run-up to a set of traffic lights. This is a bit of a bottleneck and I often overtake stationary traffic on the outside, but this morning it was moving fairly quickly. Two cars ahead of me were turning left, so I assumed the 'primary position' in the middle of the lane. A young man on a road bike had whizzed up behind me and began to shout at me for 'sitting in the middle of the road', and he then undertook me. Was I doing something wrong here?

I feel that If I'd have remained on the left, I feel like I would've been too close to the curb and would've had to slow down or even stop in order to avoid getting in the inside lane whilst cars was turning left.

Apologies if similar threads have been posted before - I've just got into work and need to get something off my chest before I get going.

Thanks
Rusty Rider

Re: Did I do something wrong?

Post by Rusty Rider »

In my eye's you've done nothing wrong, but some people think they own the road and have a different take on it. BTW was the other cyclist what I dub a lycra lout all I'm in a hurry and has a foul mouth to match?
Peter
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If there were two cars turning left in front of you what did he do after he'd undertook? Turn left, move out and overtake them or sit behind?

If I was in your position I'd have been about 2/3rds of the lane over to the right but there probably wouldn't have been enough space in front of me for anyone to realistically squeeze into.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Rusty Rider wrote:In my eye's you've done nothing wrong, but some people think they own the road and have a different take on it. BTW was the other cyclist what I dub a lycra lout all I'm in a hurry and has a foul mouth to match?

Imagine how foul it would be if he'd been left hooked 5 seconds later.
I certainly am happy to take the lane if I think that's the safest option even to the extent I'll hold my place in a queue of traffic if I'm not absolutely certain it is safe to overtake it.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

CliveyT wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:In my eye's you've done nothing wrong, but some people think they own the road and have a different take on it. BTW was the other cyclist what I dub a lycra lout all I'm in a hurry and has a foul mouth to match?

Imagine how foul it would be if he'd been left hooked 5 seconds later.
I certainly am happy to take the lane if I think that's the safest option even to the extent I'll hold my place in a queue of traffic if I'm not absolutely certain it is safe to overtake it.

Agreed and a lot better put than my post :)
Peter
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sounds like you were doing the right thing - I'd not fret about it too much...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jdpalmer

Post by jdpalmer »

Thanks for the responses all. I feel reassured I was doing the right thing but wanted to hear from more experienced riders - to my mind, it was a potentially dangerous situation, more so for having a couple of speedy cyclists right behind me, so I wanted to make myself as visible as possible.

Kwackers, I recall that the other rider slowed up as the cars turned and then sped up again once they had entered the junction. That prevented me from actually getting to the left again until he'd passed, as he seemed to want me to.

I quite like the term 'lycra lout' in this instance - he did seem to be very entitled. But I wouldn't want to generalise. I've mostly found other cyclists to be friendly and respectable which is another plus to cycling to work. Although I do find it off-putting when somebody speeds up right behind me as if I'm a nuisance for being on the road too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

jdpalmer wrote:Thanks for the responses all. I feel reassured I was doing the right thing but wanted to hear from more experienced riders - to my mind, it was a potentially dangerous situation, more so for having a couple of speedy cyclists right behind me, so I wanted to make myself as visible as possible.

Yep, you did right AFAICT. Taking primary is a much more important part of making yourself visible than what you wear or put on the bike. Don't worry that the other rider was fast and on a road bike - they don't check your qualifications before letting you buy one.

As an aside: people on road bikes are IME more likely to join British Cycling than Cycling UK and BC's training videos currently call secondary position "default" and primary "taking the lane" which I think discourages use of primary and encourages poor/risky riding... note how the riders in their "default" position are almost always at risk of being hit if any parked vehicle's door opens, except for the bit when they specifically warn about it:
[youtube]BapFZkvQHmY[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/BapFZkvQHmY

To be clear: don't do what that video says. Much of it is incorrect. Look instead for the great advice from Cyclecraft, Bikeability and even BC's ambassador Chris Boardman which describes better ways.

...but anyway I doubt someone who thinks it's OK to shout at other riders has even watched any training videos.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bez

Post by Bez »

You were fine. You got shouted at by a ****. Ignore the ****s and keep yourself as safe as you can. Hope for fewer ****s tomorrow ;)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

jdpalmer wrote:I feel that If I'd have remained on the left, I feel like I would've been too close to the curb and would've had to slow down or even stop in order to avoid getting in the inside lane whilst cars was turning left.

Spot on mate.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bez wrote:You were fine. You got shouted at by a ****. Ignore the ****s and keep yourself as safe as you can. Hope for fewer ****s tomorrow ;)

I expect many will get left-hooked in due course, based on the OP's story :?
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

As said,you did nothing wrong,your 1st priority is to make sure your safe.
IME the vast majority of cyclists are friendly and helpful,but as in all walks of life you always get the odd ****.
It will probably never happen to you ever again.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

mjr wrote:
jdpalmer wrote:Thanks for the responses all. I feel reassured I was doing the right thing but wanted to hear from more experienced riders - to my mind, it was a potentially dangerous situation, more so for having a couple of speedy cyclists right behind me, so I wanted to make myself as visible as possible.

To be clear: don't do what that video says. Much of it is incorrect. Look instead for the great advice from Cyclecraft, Bikeability and even BC's ambassador Chris Boardman which describes better ways.

I like what Chris Boardman says about road riding, its very similar to what I had forced into my brain about motorcycle riding.
Peter
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mjr wrote:To be clear: don't do what that video says. Much of it is incorrect. Look instead for the great advice from Cyclecraft, Bikeability and even BC's ambassador Chris Boardman which describes better ways.

I'm curious as to what you think is wrong with it. It looks okay to me, looks in line with National Standards Cycle Training, and that's based on... Cyclecraft.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

No, you weren't doing anything wrong at all, the road cyclist was.

Where I arriv at lights where the lead car is signalling left, and without an advance stop line I stop behind the first car in case the driver doesn't see me (making eye contact with the driver of the second car in the lineup). And I have been told off by "roadies" who wizz straight past ignoring the obvious dangers - and usually jumping the red light in the process.

Trucks and busses I keep well to the rear, and wait until I can see which direction they are going as they move off.

I've even been shouted at/nearly rammed by roadies who seem to think that the one-way pinch points you often see on entering villages don't apply to them!

Such people on bikes are no different to impatient drivers - or runners, for that matter.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !