Squashed in by First Bus Bristol.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Spicy

Squashed in by First Bus Bristol.

Post by Spicy »

I was cycling home the other night, my usual route.
A bus passed me on Park Street, a bit closer than I like, but I am used to it.
I passed him when he stopped at the next bus stop.

A few minutes later on Whiteladies road, he overtakes again. This time coming up to a bus stop, then stops at the bus stop forcing me to slow right down to creep past him. Whilst trying to get to the bus stop before me, he tailgates the car in front.

A short while later I have pulled out to pass some parked cars. He starts overtaking, then whilst besides me, he swerves to the left. I have to pull very close to the cars. He then has to slow down for the traffic in front.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6L6vap4o9YU[/youtube]

EDIT : Graham : Be aware that this video has been removed from Youtube.
Last edited by Graham on 24 Jan 2018, 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Youtube status update
thirdcrank

Re: Squashed in by First Bus Bristol.

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link to your vid that works on here (at least for me)

https://youtu.be/6L6vap4o9YU
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

thirdcrank wrote:Welcome to the forum. Here's a link to your vid that works on here (at least for me)

https://youtu.be/6L6vap4o9YU

Thankyou.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

He's far too close the 3rd time he comes alongside you particularly given how steep Whiteladies Road is and therefore how slow and possibly wobbly cyclists can be cycling up there. The driver should know better. Can you get the registration number off your video? I'd recommend writing to the bus company but don't admit to having the video until you get a response in case the driver denies it, then you can produce your evidence. It will help if you can identify the bus though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

AMMoffat wrote:He's far too close the 3rd time he comes alongside you particularly given how steep Whiteladies Road is and therefore how slow and possibly wobbly cyclists can be cycling up there. The driver should know better. Can you get the registration number off your video? I'd recommend writing to the bus company but don't admit to having the video until you get a response in case the driver denies it, then you can produce your evidence. It will help if you can identify the bus though.

This - way too close there.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

That is an appalling overtake by the bus. He is operating mGIF (must get in front). Once his cab is past you then he thinks it is MR (My Road).

He needs to give you a cars width when overtaking i.e. the space of a car between him and the road or you. His other fault is that he does not ensure before there is room in front for the bus to overtake.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:He's far too close the 3rd time he comes alongside you particularly given how steep Whiteladies Road is and therefore how slow and possibly wobbly cyclists can be cycling up there. The driver should know better. Can you get the registration number off your video? I'd recommend writing to the bus company but don't admit to having the video until you get a response in case the driver denies it, then you can produce your evidence. It will help if you can identify the bus though.

This - way too close there.

+1
It's the 'might is right' attitude exerted by idiots behind the wheel of powerful vehicles beyond the mental capabilities.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

Thankyou. That is the flat (or very slightly downhill) section where I normally manage 20mph.
Bus registration is redacted
Last edited by Spicy on 23 Jan 2018, 11:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Take it off youtube and hide the reg no here and let the police have first refusal at https://forms.avonandsomerset.police.uk/forms/dcu

Keep the original card and record onto another, just in case that's evidence, until you hear it's no longer needed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

The police will want the unedited video mind.

The squash looks more negligent than deliberate to me, they'd moved back in due to the planter/reservation sections and like some large vehicle drivers seem to think the back 70% of the vehicle doesn't exist. :roll:

If you use that route regularly you might want to consider taking the lane a little more. For the third one I'd probably have moved into the middle of the lane after the taxi passed, there was a queue ahead so no point for anything else to overtake, might as well remove the temptation entirely. I usually use the back streets up into clifton though and avoid park st/whiteladies altogether, the airs much cleaner for a start. Diesels + steep hill is not pleasant.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Can't see the video, but the way we have dealt with local buses, is to email the footage to the bus company, with observation that it will be sent to the police if there is not a favourable response from the company etc....
This ensures everyone is aware we are carrying cameras etc., hopefully the driver(s) are spoken to regarding their responsibility to other road users. It is bad publicity for the bus company to have these videos around so they will be glad to sort it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

eileithyia wrote:Can't see the video, but the way we have dealt with local buses, is to email the footage to the bus company, with observation that it will be sent to the police if there is not a favourable response from the company etc....

Cunobelin says he has emailed companies to report the close pass but not mention the footage, let them get the driver's habitual denial, then send the footage unmasking the liar. Apparently more companies are willing to discipline dishonesty than dangerous driving :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spicy wrote:[youtube]https://youtu.be/6L6vap4o9YU[/youtube]

When posting a youtube video if you remove everything but just leave the video id (in your case the "6L6vap4o9YU" rather than the entire URL) then it will automagically place the video inline.
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

mjr wrote:Take it off youtube and hide the reg no here and let the police have first refusal at https://forms.avonandsomerset.police.uk/forms/dcu

Keep the original card and record onto another, just in case that's evidence, until you hear it's no longer needed.

Its been put on private on youtube. I am attempting to send the files on the above form, but it keeps failing.

Note, if a file fails, resend the same file, as the server seems to keep some of the failed upload. I did not realise this on my first attempts, and just restarted the procedure.
pwa

Post by pwa »

eileithyia wrote:Can't see the video, but the way we have dealt with local buses, is to email the footage to the bus company, with observation that it will be sent to the police if there is not a favourable response from the company etc....
This ensures everyone is aware we are carrying cameras etc., hopefully the driver(s) are spoken to regarding their responsibility to other road users. It is bad publicity for the bus company to have these videos around so they will be glad to sort it.

I didn't use to be a fan of cameras, but yes, if a professional driver gets the idea that other road users are likely to send footage to his/her employer and the police, that is going to help them focus on their standard of driving. And that is what matters in the end.