Getting blinded from behind

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Getting blinded from behind

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Such as a common sense reading of the HWC, for instance.

The common sense reading of the HWC is that MUST NOT means don't do it, which seems to be what you are arguing against.

For clarity, as one comes up behind a cyclist at night on an unlit road, is it a reasonable common sense reading of the HWC that there is a risk of dazzling by using high beam such that one should (or must) always dip?

FWIW I'd use dipped beam as I would when approaching another car in similar circumstances,I may flash the main beam to let them know I'm there and will be overtaking,but depending on the road I may do that to another car too.Once alongside the cyclist or car I may switch on main beam should I need to.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What do with pedestrians walking in the same direction as us?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Such as a common sense reading of the HWC, for instance.

The common sense reading of the HWC is that MUST NOT means don't do it, which seems to be what you are arguing against.

For clarity, as one comes up behind a cyclist at night on an unlit road, is it a reasonable common sense reading of the HWC that there is a risk of dazzling by using high beam such that one should (or must) always dip?

Yes (must). How can you read "You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders" in any other common-sense way?

Are people arguing that it's fine as long as the lights dip each time a cyclist looks backwards? Or that being dazzled is the cyclists' own fault for daring to look backwards like trained to do?

ETFA
Just to be clear, are you saying main beam from 2-3 miles behind is dazzling?

No, only that main beam is dazzling on such straight roads much further than they provide any "better view". I've not tested the boundary and hope I don't need to.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote:What do with pedestrians walking in the same direction as us?

They are a road user, so you do the same. Dip until past.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:What do with pedestrians walking in the same direction as us?

Dip your headlights. And to complete the set: what must you do when approaching a horse rider from behind?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH a rarety,but I afford them the same courtesy.

FWIW,yestrday on street lit urban dual carriageway in rushour,aka loads traffic,a Nissan Joke came up behind us(in car) at a TL with dlr,dipped headlights and fog lights,six BRIGHT lights in all,I found I was able to see it well enough :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Jan 2018, 1:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:It's not at the expense of the cyclist. The cyclist also benefits from the better view - unless they choose to look back at what would obviously be full beam lights. It would also be of help to cyclists who were hard of hearing.

It *is* at the expense of the cyclist.

It's either detrimental to my sight *now* or detrimental to my sight when you pass - I have my own lights, I don't want yours.

I have wing mirror(s) and your lights are absolutely detrimental...

A D/deaf cyclist is arguably *more* likely to have mirrors, besides which I can see your dipped beams quite happily thanks.

I'm interested to understand why this is the case.

Because full beam lights into my mirror into my eyes is damned uncomfortable - whether on a bent or not. The only difference the bent makes is that people who drive *far* too close, or drive tanks with poorly adjusted dipped beams are also a pite.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Because full beam lights into my mirror into my eyes is damned uncomfortable - whether on a bent or not. The only difference the bent makes is that people who drive *far* too close, or drive tanks with poorly adjusted dipped beams are also a pite.

A while ago in the car,I was in traffic jam in the dark that wasn't going anwhere anytime soon,behind me was a newish,lazer lamp Range Rover.
After about 10 minutes I got out and asked the driver to turn off his headlights as they were burning a hole in the back of my head!
He was oblivious to the problem,even though the inside of my car was light up like a football stadium :? :roll:
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I get the same when driving, and I drive a grand scenic, so not exactly a low slung car.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:A while ago in the car,I was in traffic jam in the dark that wasn't going anwhere anytime soon,behind me was a newish,lazer lamp Range Rover.
After about 10 minutes I got out and asked the driver to turn off his headlights as they were burning a hole in the back of my head!
He was oblivious to the problem,even though the inside of my car was light up like a football stadium :? :roll:

Why did you complain? Didn't you enjoy benefitting from a better view of what's inside and beside your car? ;-)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:The common sense reading of the HWC is that MUST NOT means don't do it, which seems to be what you are arguing against.

Yes (must). How can you read "You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders" in any other common-sense way?

Are people arguing that it's fine as long as the lights dip each time a cyclist looks backwards? Or that being dazzled is the cyclists' own fault for daring to look backwards like trained to do?

ETFA
Just to be clear, are you saying main beam from 2-3 miles behind is dazzling?

No, only that main beam is dazzling on such straight roads much further than they provide any "better view". I've not tested the boundary and hope I don't need to.

I am grateful for your emboldened sections, it helped me understand you better. I think I was making a more nuanced point. Allow me to explain (excuse the lack of caps/bold - I'm assuming you won't need the help you offered me).

I note the HWC says "would", not "could". That's an important distinction and to me suggests that a "risk of" dazzle perhaps falls short of that standard. A plain reading would suggest it's hard to dazzle someone facing the other way.

We all, as road users, have some reciprocal responsibilities. I am contending that an offence may not have taken place if in the circumstances someone used main beam, seeing a road user was moving away from them with their back to them. If a walker or cyclist, seeing, as they would, the level of illumination provided by a set of car main beam headlights chose to look at those main beams such that they were dazzled (glancing is of course entirely possible without dazzle, as in Vorpal's "life saver" example), then would that constitute an offence? I think, on balance that it would not.

I have no idea if that's ever been tested, I suspect not, but would one really seek a prosecution in that circumstance? I imagine the conversation might run thus:

"I'd like to report an offence contrary to Rule 114"

Misc back-and-forth clarification...

"So sir, you were cycling in the same direction as the car?"

"Yes"

"The motorist had his main beams on, and you looked back at them and were dazzled?"

"Yes"

"Why?"

"Because I'm trained to"

Add your own ending to suit - mine ends in a vanishingly small chance of any action being taken, yours may not...

Whilst we're on the subject, a horse is a very different proposition to a more rational road user, and indeed, can see rearwards as its eyes are set on the side of its head, so absolutely a dip is required, because a horse would be dazzled.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Because Ibhave to look back to check that your client, and other idiots, aren’t doing anything stupid and risking my life.

Sorry - but you don’t put full beams on behind another car, why would you do it to any other road user?
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I note the HWC says "would", not "could". That's an important distinction and to me suggests that a "risk of" dazzle perhaps falls short of that standard. A plain reading would suggest it's hard to dazzle someone facing the other way.

So you would use your hi beams with other vehicles going the same way? I think not.

3 out of my 4 bicycles have rear facing mirrors ... so how would you determine if the bicycle had one or more rear facing mirror/s? Wait for them to fall off? Your going to have to get very close to see my revision mirror ... by that time I'll probably be blind, stopped and very angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I too dislike main beams from behind. I can see nicely with my lights, if they are swamped from behind then there are more shadows and I cannot necessarily see the line through corners. Not usually a real problem, but definitely an irritation. Some years ago I was riding to a country pub down a pitch black and winding lane. A car came from behind and main beams stayed on. When we all arrived at the pub, the passenger commented on how fast I was going; I replied that I would have been faster if the fool driver had been on dipped so that I could see my way around the corners instead of having vison dominated by where his lights were pointing at the time. I think the point was made.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:Living, as I do, in the land of electric cars, I would not ever rely only on hearing, even if I could be certain of hearing every vehicle behind me.

I often find that wind noise in my ears keeps me from hearing motor vehicles very well, anyway. That obviously doesn't apply if I am stopped and waiting, but it certainly can if I am approaching a junction on a down hill or moving quickly to keep up with traffic. The noise doesn't die down sufficiently to hear everything until I slow down quite a bit.

Lastly, there is a damn good reason that motorcyclists call the last look over your should before a turn, the 'lifesaver', and it honestly has prevented me crashing, likely seriously, on at least two occasions when some idiot dangerously overtook me at the last moment.

The land of electric cars..
I thought Norway was the promised land (went there once!) but I just read that some e-car owners claimed compensation cos their vehicles did not have 700kw as claimed, only 470kw :(
70kw is plenty

Don't the tyres make some noise?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies