Getting hit from Behind

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Re: Getting hit from Behind

Post by ianrobo »

thirdcrank wrote:
ianrobo wrote:... three lanes there , left hand to go towards Aston Expressway and middle lane to go straight on - as I did, to make it worse the left hand lane is also a turn left one as well so take a position to ensure I can tell if someone wants to do that ...

Is this google map sattelite shot the location?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.49253 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If so, I presume you meant something like "to make it worse the middle lane is a combined turn left and straight ahead lane "

I'm not familiar with the junction so I'm trying to get the situation clear so I can understand what happened.
=============================================
PS Put another way:

Lane 1 = left turn only
Lane 2 = left turn or straight ahead.

spot on Mate !! from Newtown middle way, left is towards Aston expressway and I have to go straight on. TBH I have other routes to work but I love this one as after this it is fast dual carriageways and I do feel safer on these, the problem are the islands you see there, especially when not traffic lights controlled, others strangely are 24 hours on the ring road.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For the future, I wonder if there's possibly some benefit in lobbying for the traffic lights to be switched on earlier, or even 24/7. (I was a bit slow on the uptake when you mentioned them being switched on at 0600 and initially, I thought you were referring to street lights. :oops: ) I don't know what criteria they use to decide this. It's a long time since I was cycling to and from work at these unsocial times, but I am called on to do Dad's taxi service for things like airport travel and it's my impression that traffic is much heavier much earlier in the morning than it was even five years ago. I get the impression that they've scrapped sensors at lot of these big junctions - possibly to improve reliability (?) - and have fixed timings, which can lead to people sitting and fuming when there's no other traffic around, but the part of the night when that might happen is rapidly shrinking.

IMO, anybody approaching stationary traffic waiting in front of them has a duty not to collide with it.

Beyond that, there are a couple of things that aren't very clear to me from your vid:-

While you were waiting, where were you in your lane?

Fortunately, the collision was not so severe that you were unable to ride on. (In other words, it's good that you weren't knocked off and/ or shunted in front of traffic racing round the roundabout.) What form did the collision take? eg Was it something like a mirror hitting your arm?

After the driver had stopped and you eventually rode on, there seems to be some sort of verbal exchange. Either it's my ageing lugs, rubbish speakers, or a combination of both, but I cannot work out what was said. :? Using @*!&@ to replace any bad language, I'd be interested to know if anything relevant was said.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

thirdcrank wrote:While you were waiting, where were you in your lane?

Fortunately, the collision was not so severe that you were unable to ride on. (In other words, it's good that you weren't knocked off and/ or shunted in front of traffic racing round the roundabout.) What form did the collision take? eg Was it something like a mirror hitting your arm?

After the driver had stopped and you eventually rode on, there seems to be some sort of verbal exchange. Either it's my ageing lugs, rubbish speakers, or a combination of both, but I cannot work out what was said. :? Using @*!&@ to replace any bad language, I'd be interested to know if anything relevant was said.

OK good questions !!

1) was on the left hand side of the middle lane, maybe could have been towards the middle a but but there you are !

2) nothing hurt or injured on me other than a bruised elbow, he lost a wing mirror

3) I never stopped as I was pretty wound up and could have easily lost control, I was hoping the camera could pick up the plate, but alas no .... I should have stopped of course. The shouting was just me, no idea what he said, nor do I care !!

The point about this is that it is about sheer carelessness on driver part, as for point about the lights, good q and will ask BCC
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for explaining this. A I tried to make clear, I wasn't suggesting that the driver drove well.

It's certainly more by good luck than good management - or rather good driving - that you were not seriously injured: people have been killed by wing mirrors.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

thirdcrank wrote:Thanks for explaining this. A I tried to make clear, I wasn't suggesting that the driver drove well.

It's certainly more by good luck than good management - or rather good driving - that you were not seriously injured: people have been killed by wing mirrors.

really ? what happened glass wing mirror shattered and punctured a crucial vein ???
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

"Head hit by wing mirror of HGV" is one I've seen in accident reports a few times, things like truck stationary on hard shoulder, driver climbs up offside to secure load, hit by mirror of passing HGV. Obviously, that's generally at some speed, but a few years ago I was shopping in Leeds when I came across the aftermath of a pedestrian being seriously injured - IIRC fatally - when their head was hit by a bus mirror. That was at a relatively low speed but enough to cause the injury. Around here, most bus mirrors are bright yellow these days and I presume that type of danger has something to do with it.

I always worry about children's heads in this connection since at a certain age they are at wing mirror level. I encourage my grandchildren to keep well away from the kerb.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

ajh OK, I think those on buses lorries etc are more solid, car wing mirror generally will bend in on contact
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ianrobo wrote:ajh OK, I think those on buses lorries etc are more solid, car wing mirror generally will bend in on contact

I'd not want my swede hitting with a car wing mirror - bendy or otherwise - but I think you are right about the mirrors on larger vehicles.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

it bloody hurt on my elbow to be fair !!