Getting hit from Behind

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Getting hit from Behind

Post by ianrobo »

This happened to me a week before Xmas (excuse the language !!) and yes I had lights on, hi vis and and an helmet and at 5AM in the morning is inexplicable !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkyDfCk966Q

When people say we are at fault I will rant and rant about it forever ....
mjr

Re: Getting hit from Behind

Post by mjr »

Crap driving. It seems like he saw you fine and went for a left side overtake when there wasn't room. Next time read the number plate into the camera. As soon as the brake lights come on, the number plate vanishes into blurs and you've no frames close enough without brake lights AFAICT. My camera's similar. :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:Crap driving. It seems like he saw you fine and went for a left side overtake when there wasn't room. Next time read the number plate into the camera. As soon as the brake lights come on, the number plate vanishes into blurs and you've no frames close enough without brake lights AFAICT. My camera's similar. :-(

I know mate but I was so shocked I just forgot that the plate may not be visible !! Thing is I like the cycliq camera but the night images are pretty damn poor for number plater reading compared to others I have seen
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's a difficult balancing act to get plates readable in low light without it washing out in daylight. I don't think they've all got it right yet. Maybe in a year or two, the camera firmwares will have a mode that detects numberplates and self-calibrates.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I have a pair of cycliq's an old 6 for the rear and a new 12 for the front.
I find the 12 washes out on number plates too much. I need to play with the exposure, perhaps reduce it slightly (there's also a setting that mentions HDR, if it genuinely is then it might be worth a go).
The rear though is usually pretty stirling for number plates though, think it may be because it doesn't have the headlights reflecting back at it(?)
Colour isn't as good as the front but tbh who cares.
In some ways we'd be better off with b&w cameras, they're more sensitive and better at handling stuff like this.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Interesting ! waiting for the new rear one to come out before getting it, maybe will have a play around with the settings as you suggest. maybe the light close by is an hindrance as well ?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The driver did stop. I understand you were shocked, but without the camera you may have been more likely to stop and hear what they had to say for themselves and/or take their number. Though even with video evidence the police usually do nothing, so without it there would be no hope.

To tell you the truth, that roundabout looks like one I would try to avoid on a bicycle. Too big and fast for comfort.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Samuel D wrote:
To tell you the truth, that roundabout looks like one I would try to avoid on a bicycle. Too big and fast for comfort.
Yes. And how fast was that JCB going? :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Samuel D wrote:The driver did stop. I understand you were shocked, but without the camera you may have been more likely to stop and hear what they had to say for themselves and/or take their number. Though even with video evidence the police usually do nothing, so without it there would be no hope.

as any Brummie on here will testify that to get through the City centre we are surrounded by what are circuses here ... no real option, thing is they have lights on and get turned on at 6 which makes it much safer, this was at half 5
Username

Post by Username »

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the cyclist using the wrong lanes in that vid? Also why did she continue waiting at the junction to the roundabout when there was nothing coming? There more to this than I can make out.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Username wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the cyclist using the wrong lanes in that vid? Also why did she continue waiting at the junction to the roundabout when there was nothing coming? There more to this than I can make out.

well it was me !!! three lanes there , left hand to go towards Aston Expressway and middle lane to go straight on - as I did, to make it worse the left hand lane is also a turn left one as well so take a position to ensure I can tell if someone wants to do that

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 21.51.18.jpg

Now why did I wait ? because traffic comes off the Island and at speed and can not tell if going to go straight on or turn left so have to wait for the right gap
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

has happened to my on my MOTOR BIKE whilst stopped at the TRAFFIC LIGHTS, by a van. And my m/c not a moped but a 1000c jobby. If they dont see a m/c do you think they will see a cyclist (scum) :cry:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ianrobo wrote:... three lanes there , left hand to go towards Aston Expressway and middle lane to go straight on - as I did, to make it worse the left hand lane is also a turn left one as well so take a position to ensure I can tell if someone wants to do that ...

Is this google map sattelite shot the location?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.49253 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If so, I presume you meant something like "to make it worse the middle lane is a combined turn left and straight ahead lane "

I'm not familiar with the junction so I'm trying to get the situation clear so I can understand what happened.
=============================================
PS Put another way:

Lane 1 = left turn only
Lane 2 = left turn or straight ahead.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:Lane 1 = left turn only
Lane 2 = left turn or straight ahead.

You should see the new junction they're putting in at Widnes for the new bridge. It's full of "left or straight on" lanes and all with high speed exits.
No cycling facilities other than the tedium of navigating it using pavements (and thus several light changes) and it's such a large junction I doubt any but the fastest of cyclists could make it across before the lights change.

Even if you stay to the right side of the "straight on or left" lane then that becomes the left of two lanes with the lane to your right becoming "straight on or left" so you've got high speed traffic with fast exits and you have no option but to move across the lanes as you try to go straight on at the junction and because of the size of the junction the way you'd handle it in a car or motorbike (by approaching it in the right hand lane) on a bicycle you'll end up in the middle of traffic which is under and over taking and changing lanes around you.

It looks like a nightmare and sadly I have to use it every day.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm only trying to get a clear understanding of the road layout at this junction. I understand the problems caused for cyclists by this type of roundabout and for anybody who doesn't it's clearly explained in Cycle-friendly Infrastructure. The follow-up document Guidelines for Cycle Audit and Cycle Review was intended to guide highwaymen but as I've said so many times before, the big misters who plan for motor traffic killed it off at birth.