Baldwin Street cycle path (Bristol)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Baldwin Street cycle path (Bristol)

Post by brooksby »

I went along the cycle path alongside Baldwin Street in Bristol for the first time in ages last week. When did the council decide to paint 'give way' markings onto all those supposedly advisory pedestrian crossings on it??? That means that every fifteen metres or so (don't quote me on that) there's effectively a zebra crossing to which cyclists must give way **in addition to** having to move around all the pedestrians in between those crossings who still haven't worked out that it's not shared-use... I think I'll probably start just riding on the road again along there :(
Pete Owens

Re: Baldwin Street cycle path (Bristol)

Post by Pete Owens »

They shouldn't need to paint give way signs - or indeed zebras - to remind cyclists that they should give way to pedestrians.

Hopefully the Bristol motorists will show a bit less resentment when they have to move around a cyclist who happens to be riding on "their" patch of tarmac than you feel towards pedestrians wandering in "your" bit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yeah, well, they shouldn't need to paint give way signs - or indeed zebras - to remind motorists that they should give way to pedestrians, but they do it anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Is this the same bit of the cycle path where an oncoming fast cyclist forced me off the path into the wall a few weeks ago during the rush hour, while he was overtaking another cyclist who was in turn giving a pedestrian a wide berth?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Pete Owens wrote:They shouldn't need to paint give way signs - or indeed zebras - to remind cyclists that they should give way to pedestrians.

Hopefully the Bristol motorists will show a bit less resentment when they have to move around a cyclist who happens to be riding on "their" patch of tarmac than you feel towards pedestrians wandering in "your" bit.

Its one of the few vaguely properly segregated bits of cycling infrastructure in Bristol.

They didn't need to paint signs: it'd managed fine until now with differently coloured bricks laid out as non-statutory zebra crossing ish recommended crossing spaces (with cyclists "happily" moving around the pedestrians who hadn't realised it isn't shared-space or that they needed to look before walking out into it). I'd never actually seen cyclists speeding along there, only a Deliveroo guy on a motor scooter one time, and the pedestrians with pull-along suitcases were far more of a hazard (and the one time a group all debarked from a taxi and then stood completely blocking the track...).

Actually painting 'give way' lines which pedestrians treat as a 'proper' zebra crossing IMO immediately reduces the convenience and use of the track.

And yes, I am aware of the irony ;-)
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

brooksby wrote:
Its one of the few vaguely properly segregated bits of cycling infrastructure in Bristol.

There's another far too short section on the approach to the Old Market roundabout as you ride in front of the students accomodation coming off Temple Way.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I think I may have spotted the flaw in the design on the pavement and cycle path.

baldwin.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:I think I may have spotted the flaw in the design on the pavement and cycle path.

Are you suggesting it would need to be physically impossible to stop Bristol motorists driving on it? I reckon some would still try, even then.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:I think I may have spotted the flaw in the design on the pavement and cycle path.

Are you suggesting it would need to be physically impossible to stop Bristol motorists driving on it? I reckon some would still try, even then.

In the last census the lowest proportion on the population ever identified themselves as being Christian. However, people at still being buried with crosses on their graves. I believe that these crosses are not signs of religious observance they are merely there to stop someone parking a car on top of the deceased.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

It amazes me that it's somehow allowed to leave scaffolding on the public footway for years.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
whoof

Post by whoof »

Stevek76 wrote:

It amazes me that it's somehow allowed to leave scaffolding on the public footway for years.

This skip has been on Argyll Street in Bath for over four years.

argyll.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:This skip has been on Argyll Street in Bath for over four years.

If they removed it, they'd probably use people walking as traffic calming instead: https://cyclebath.org.uk/2017/11/16/bat ... -cyclists/
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

Typical Bristolian parking. Free legal space on road, but a few metres too far for someone to walk, so shove it on the pavement. I almost collided once with a 'texting zombie' along here. Ironically, the bloke stepped out onto the path while staring down at his mobile, stepping right on top of a big white bike symbol painted on the asphalt!.