‘That’s not right...’

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tigerbiten

Re: ‘That’s not right...’

Post by Tigerbiten »

I had play in the CFT hinge on my Sprint after changing the back section of it to the 'new' model.
It got worse with use.
I solved it by forcing a washer in the side gap.
It's now stiffer to fold as the joint is shimmed tight.
ICE has seen to 'mod' and didn't say anything bad about it.
I think it's starting to go again as I'm starting to hear a creak from around that area again.

Luck ........ :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't use the fold - would be happy with a rigid section there, but hey...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hope you recover well and soon.
Sounds like hit and run.............report as such...............could be the driver swapped with another ?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'm almost the same.
I may use the fold once a year if I transport the trike by car or train.
I'm a bit 50-50 if the old style back boom where the rear forks folded under would work better for me.
But there no rear triangle with that back end so it's harder to lock the back wheel to the frame.
That's important with the Rohloff, hence the 50-50.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Sounds like hit and run.............report as such...............could be the driver swapped with another ?

Pretty confident it's the right driver. The police know what the timings were (I was on the phone to them pretty fast after he drive off, and my footage records the accident and the start of the call, so they can tie times together pretty accurately if needed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Pretty confident it's the right driver. The police know what the timings were (I was on the phone to them pretty fast after he drive off, and my footage records the accident and the start of the call, so they can tie times together pretty accurately if needed.

I am sure you got it all tied up.
Why did they come back, they must of known what they did, those type should be off the road for sure, keep safe [XAP]Bob.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Still struggling to walk, but can ride the tandem... biggest physical issue is mounting it...
I just can’t move my right hip/leg enough.

Had the wound dressed at the GP yesterday, dressing (suitable for up to a week) is already coming off :roll: )
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:Still struggling to walk, but can ride the tandem... biggest physical issue is mounting it...

Had the wound dressed at the GP yesterday, dressing (suitable for up to a week) is already coming off :roll: )

Bad but could on been worse, I am struggling to walk without limping two months on after my fall....Still not been out on bike, I count myself lucky.....Go to physio NHS through your GP, most difficult to diagnose properly, good luck.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:
Si wrote:.....but when a driver is looking straight at you and slowing, then accelerates when you are practically right in front of him there's a not a lot you could have done. It's a frightening thought that no matter how much effort you put into improving your defensive riding, observation and control of the road around you, sometimes there's a bullet with your name on it. That's why we need proper, usable segregated routes on many roads.

I've rapidly come to the same conclusion that good quality seperate infrastructure and reduced and enforced speed limits in built up areas is the only way forward for safer cycling in the UK.
Mixing the speed differential of one tonne+ cars,etc with unprotected people on two and three wheels isn't healthy for the latter however we wish for it to be in the present climate of substandard driving and dire quality policing.
I'm convinced UK government both local and national don't give a fig for cycling in favour of private cars due to the revenue they provide.
Air quality and exercise go out the window when income from private cars is threatened to be reduced.

And yet despite that the Dutch still have around 180 fatalities a year. What we need is to remove motorvehicles from many roads particularly in town and city centres, stop up roads for motors in both directions, one lane for bidirectional cycling and one lane for one way motoring traffic and train and police drivers to a far higher standard.
The continual mention of segregated lanes alongside roads is bonkers, we will NEVER ever get Dutch style/std segregated lanes, just forget about it because it isn't going to happen, not in 50 or even a 100 years. The most effective tool we have is to force drivers to drive better (by whatever method that is, training, speed reductions, better enforcement, street/road design etc) or simply remove them altogether.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wonder if with the advances in affordable technology we are reaching a point where it might soon be practical to require every new motor vehicle to come equipped with cameras to record incidents and hang on to those recordings for long enough for the police to look at them to resolve complaints.

Also, we can't be far off vehicles having mechanisms that will stop a dopey driver pulling out at the wrong moment. It is usually the human being behind the steering wheel that is the weak link.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:And yet despite that the Dutch still have around 180 fatalities a year.

Out of how many kms cycled?
And did those separated cyclepaths contribute to that death toll?

What we need is to remove motorvehicles from many roads particularly in town and city centres, stop up roads for motors in both directions, one lane for bidirectional cycling and one lane for one way motoring traffic and train and police drivers to a far higher standard.
The continual mention of segregated lanes alongside roads is bonkers, we will NEVER ever get Dutch style/std segregated lanes, just forget about it because it isn't going to happen, not in 50 or even a 100 years.

Whilst I agree about stopping private vehicles from entering towns and cities,and a more inventive way of deliveries to shops etc,there is more chance of seperate cycle lanes than there is of stopping up roads for cycle use only.

The most effective tool we have is to force drivers to drive better (by whatever method that is, training, speed reductions, better enforcement, street/road design etc) or simply remove them altogether.

As for driving standards,again I agree they're substandard and something needs doing about it,an effective police force wouldn't go amiss IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PRL

Post by PRL »

pwa wrote:I wonder if with the advances in affordable technology we are reaching a point where it might soon be practical to require every new motor vehicle to come equipped with cameras to record incidents and hang on to those recordings for long enough for the police to look at them to resolve complaints.

Also, we can't be far off vehicles having mechanisms that will stop a dopey driver pulling out at the wrong moment. It is usually the human being behind the steering wheel that is the weak link.

Just been to a demonstration of nearly that - albeit aimed at HGVs. It doesn't actually stop the driver but tracks cyclists and pedestrians and sounds an alarm if collision is imminent.( ? why not auto apply brakes at low speeds ? ) A related technology does have the option to keep cab doors locked if a cyclist is at risk of being doored

https://www.safetyshieldsystems.com/cyc ... ty-shield/
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

PRL wrote:
pwa wrote:I wonder if with the advances in affordable technology we are reaching a point where it might soon be practical to require every new motor vehicle to come equipped with cameras to record incidents and hang on to those recordings for long enough for the police to look at them to resolve complaints.

Just been to a demonstration of nearly that - albeit aimed at HGVs. It doesn't actually stop the driver but tracks cyclists and pedestrians and sounds an alarm if collision is imminent.( ? why not auto apply brakes at low speeds ? ) A related technology does have the option to keep cab doors locked if a cyclist is at risk of being doored

https://www.safetyshieldsystems.com/cyc ... ty-shield/

Not sure about keeping the door locked - there could be any sort of emergency going on in the cab, and a sensor (which can malfunction) to stop the occupants escaping is not something that I would be comfortable with, any more than doors that automatically lock when you drive off, the frightening "limp mode" that some cars go into, or the steering judder that some cars give when you cross a white line (I know of one accident that occrrued due to the latter, the driver was trying to avoid a collision at the time)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Still struggling to walk, but can ride the tandem... biggest physical issue is mounting it...
I'd keep away from the Rapto then, tempting as it might seem :lol:
Heal soon!
"42"
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:And yet despite that the Dutch still have around 180 fatalities a year.

Out of how many kms cycled?
And did those separated cyclepaths contribute to that death toll

What we need is to remove motorvehicles from many roads particularly in town and city centres, stop up roads for motors in both directions, one lane for bidirectional cycling and one lane for one way motoring traffic and train and police drivers to a far higher standard.
The continual mention of segregated lanes alongside roads is bonkers, we will NEVER ever get Dutch style/std segregated lanes, just forget about it because it isn't going to happen, not in 50 or even a 100 years.

Whilst I agree about stopping private vehicles from entering towns and cities,and a more inventive way of deliveries to shops etc,there is more chance of seperate cycle lanes than there is of stopping up roads for cycle use only.

The most effective tool we have is to force drivers to drive better (by whatever method that is, training, speed reductions, better enforcement, street/road design etc) or simply remove them altogether.

As for driving standards,again I agree they're substandard and something needs doing about it,an effective police force wouldn't go amiss IMO.

A lot of miles, my point is that most of those miles are on 23,000 miles of completely segregated cycleways with priority given etc. So how cone despite all that seperation they still have such a high death toll?
It isn't exposure to traffic is it so the number of total miles covered is irrelevant.
So either the Dutch cyclists themselves are qirse than ours re safety, the dutch drivers are worse than ours when it comes to driving around people on bikes (remember safety in numbers mantra) or the segrgation isn't as effective at certain points.

If you think we are going to get seperated infra in the UK to even 5% of what the Dutch have that's pie in the sky it simply isn't going to happen, there's a much better chance of changing driver behaviour and pushing vehicles off certain roads and that having a greater effect than something that simply isn't goung to hapoen nor is there any will to do so even in London where the powers that be have turned yellow in the face of objections by NIMBYS to change.
I won't hold my breath for anything to happen outside of London/Manchester, even Oford, Camvridge and Bristol don't have proper segregated lanes that are truly on a par with NL