‘That’s not right...’

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

‘That’s not right...’

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just got taken out on a roundabout - coming round - driver coming off the A road just didn’t stop...

I’m mostly Ok, footage available when appropriate.

Will investigate damage tomorrow

EDIT: What I meant to say was that 'that's not right' was the thought that went through my head just before the collision... When I realised that the light pattern from the headlights 'wasn't right'.
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 31 Jan 2018, 9:40am, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Re: ‘That’s not right...’

Post by gaz »

Sorry to hear. Hope you move quickly from mostly OK to absolutely OK.

When you say "- driver coming off the A road just didn’t stop..." do you mean SMIDSY collision or hit and run?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hope you're OK Bob and of course the trike's OK too :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SMIDSY, then drive off before returning a few minutes later
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote:SMIDSY, then drive off before returning a few minutes later

At least you have details then. Did you get a Sorry?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Police attended, ambulance attended...

I can’t tell you if he said sorry - I don’t think I would have been in a place to accept it anyway
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

This sort of thing is happening too often to members of this forum lately. I hope you’re not badly injured.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I don’t think I would have been in a place to accept it anyway

You have my sympathy. A few years ago in similar circumstances, lying prone and totally unable to move or speak, I was asked by the guy who'd run me over "are you all right mate?". I remember thinking "do I look ****ing all right??"

Get well soon.

Don't let the [rude word removed] grind you down.
pwa

Post by pwa »

On the one occasion on which I ended up lying on the tarmac I knew more or less immediately that I was alright, but I lay there a bit longer than necessary just to give the offending person pause for thought. That was a very minor incident and my only "injuries" were slight bruising.

Hope you are not too sore today Bob.
robing

Post by robing »

Same thing happened to me last year. It was a SMIDSY. The driver had stopped, but didn't see me and pulled out in to my path. Luckily for me just gravel rash and bruises. Bike was damaged but frame ok. They paid up no question and police did them for careless driving, but just did an awareness course. Hope you and bike are ok.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Poor you, Bob. :oops:
Get well soon.

I've been hit a few times over the years by drivers not looking properly, but nothing that damaged me (other than a bruise or two) or the bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

gaz wrote:Sorry to hear. Hope you move quickly from mostly OK to absolutely OK.
+1
"42"
Si

Post by Si »

squeaker wrote:
gaz wrote:Sorry to hear. Hope you move quickly from mostly OK to absolutely OK.
+1

+2

My first bike-related hospitalisation* was a roundabout based SMIDSY......not only knackered shoulder (that I still suffer with over 20 years later) and knackered bike (friendly bikeshop man was 'creative' in his estimates for repair :-) ), but missed my holiday to see the TdF.

Led to a bit of head scratching and asking myself what could I have done to avoid it? Riding in primary, excellent visibility, indicating where I was going, watching the approaching traffic.....but when a driver is looking straight at you and slowing, then accelerates when you are practically right in front of him there's a not a lot you could have done. It's a frightening thought that no matter how much effort you put into improving your defensive riding, observation and control of the road around you, sometimes there's a bullet with your name on it. That's why we need proper, usable segregated routes on many roads.

* not that I've had that many - and most have been from 'vigorous' off-roading!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:.....but when a driver is looking straight at you and slowing, then accelerates when you are practically right in front of him there's a not a lot you could have done. It's a frightening thought that no matter how much effort you put into improving your defensive riding, observation and control of the road around you, sometimes there's a bullet with your name on it. That's why we need proper, usable segregated routes on many roads.

I've rapidly come to the same conclusion that good quality seperate infrastructure and reduced and enforced speed limits in built up areas is the only way forward for safer cycling in the UK.
Mixing the speed differential of one tonne+ cars,etc with unprotected people on two and three wheels isn't healthy for the latter however we wish for it to be in the present climate of substandard driving and dire quality policing.
I'm convinced UK government both local and national don't give a fig for cycling in favour of private cars due to the revenue they provide.
Air quality and exercise go out the window when income from private cars is threatened to be reduced.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PM999

Post by PM999 »

Commiserations to the OP. Of all road configurations that can provoke cycle/vehicle conflict, I hate roundabouts the most. There also seems to be an inverse proportionality law based on size of roundabout, with mini roundabouts invoking the maximum possible concentrations of driver stupidity.