Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:How on earth are we halfway through the year?

We’re not :?:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote:

Well, we're into the 6th of twelve months, so we're close enough.
I have been out on the trike just four times since I became ill at the start of February...

The week before that I was sore from having been hit by a car at the end of January, so only had four short rides (mostly ferrying MicroBob about on the tandem).

So that's ~30 miles since January (which had my normal 400+)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just found out today that 100 mile sportive is less than a month away :o :( ..........so the road bike is next ride, only riden once in 25 years.....I have to beat carbon boy.....I must beat carbon boy...............I will beat him.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I'm on 1990 miles up to the end of May, so around the 13 miles/day mark at the mo' and I'm trying to make myself happy enough with that.

The last couple of years I have done more than this, but I found myself going out to chase mileage rather than to simply enjoy the ride. I decided at the start of the year that I would just go along with this 10 miles/day and not to beat myself up chasing daft (for me) mileage.

Circa 4,000 miles for the year will be fine.....I'm nicely on track, hope life doesn't trip me up..... :roll:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What have you been doing to yourself?

Stepped back on garden path missed step, caught side of foot on the edge of the step... slipped (it was when it was dampish last Friday) went down with side of foot pivotting on the edge of the step..... felt sickeningly faint... so in heart of hearts guessed had done something serious-ish... but carried on ... like you do... finally admitted defeat Sat morning ... besides 7am is usually quiet in A+E.....

Get well soon,and keep off the wine in future :wink:

.. contemplating a walk to the gym for upper body workout now that i can walk again

Yer a hard woman :wink:

Cyclist we fall down get up and carry on until we finally have to admit that actually we just might have done a bit more damage than we are admitting... not bliddy footballers. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PH wrote:

About the middle of the year we have paid our taxes and may keep our money for the rest of the year
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In three weeks the sun will start to get lower in the sky :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
In three weeks the sun will start to get lower in the sky :(

+1!
Shame the temperatures will not start falling until later
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm still well ahead. I think today is day 154 and I'm on exactly 2100 miles for the year. Currently averaging 150 miles a week and making the most of the decent weather, though I got caught in a torrential rainstorm on the Tramway Audax yesterday.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ossie

Post by ossie »

1350 miles year to date...548 miles last month, 331 in April so playing catch up for that hard winter.

Must try harder or sort out a tour. I've started extending the road rides up to 65 miles two or three times a week (usually do a 65 / 70 miler a couple of times a month if that ) but the body appears to be rejecting the onslaught of climbing and distance. Might have to cut down the wine damnit.
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 - June updates

Post by foxyrider »

Well what a month! Hereabouts it's been almost wall to wall sunshine all month - think it rained on a couple of occasions but nothing impacted on riding. So for a second month i've not missed a planned ride (a couple were delayed to let weather pass mind but only until later in the day.)

As regards numbers I've done 1509km and climbed 16435m (937.5mi and 53920ft) over a total of 17 riding days. So more distance but slightly less climbing than last month. This is mostly due to some short local rides distorting things a bit.

Numbers for the year to date are however well up, 7421km and 83875m (4611mi and 275180ft). Average over 78 days riding is 95.1km with 1075m (59mi with 3527ft), over the 181 days it's 41km and 463m (25.5mi and 1519ft) - well above the target! I'm not trying to do more than my target of 12000km but it is always nice when you do.

So time to fess up folks, are you hitting your targets? Doing the rides you want?
Last edited by foxyrider on 30 Jun 2018, 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Si

Post by Si »

Ivemanaged to almost half my deficit. Was 400 miles behind, now got it to 210. Managed my first 50miler yesterday....bad knee ached by end but just about held up, and if i stay healthy i hope to get back on target....only to go behind again in aug when 9m off the bike a bit for work. Weather certainly helps.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well I'm back out on the bike and got 30 miles in today :-)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

eileithyia wrote:Well I'm back out on the bike and got 30 miles in today :-)

That's good news :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

I really enjoyed June, started with the wettest ride I've probably ever done, the 400 km Hot Trod Audax in the Scottish borders, it must have been raining for at least 250 of them. Oh well, I'll have to go back another time when the scenery is visible, at least the macaroni pies and Newcastle travelodge made the trip worthwhile :wink: Other than that the weather has if anything been too hot, I've struggled with the heat on some rides, with average speeds well down. Though have also done a couple of shirt sleeve overnighters, which were fun. 970 miles for the month, if I'd noticed that yesterday I'd have popped out for another 30. Most of it (730) has been Audax, Hot Trod, extended Vale of Belvoir, Summer Dart and a York>Derby DIY, the rest - 84 miles utility, 80 CTC rides and 76 other leisure rides. At the half way point, average is a little over 20 a day, bit unlikely I'll finish the year with that, but I'll make it the goal.