Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pedalsheep

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by pedalsheep »

September on the Isle of Wight has been lovely for cycling apart from a very windy spell the week before last. I'm still using a Cateye computer so no detailed stats like foxyrider but up to 7869 miles for the year.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A couple of audaxes and plenty of club riding contributed to 578 miles in September and a year to date total of 4199, so I've already achieved the 10 miles a day target. My next target is 5200 to see if I can average over 100 miles a week for the year.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

Despite two weekends each with 35 miles riding a trip to Majorca resulted in a 1090 miles month. Daily average for the year so far a bit over 32 miles.
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 October update

Post by foxyrider »

Well, despite a no bike week at the beginning of the month i've managed to stay on target. I rode on 15 days with no weather or health cancellations - that's six months without any unplanned no bike days.

So to the numbers, 1375km (854mi) with 17471m (57320ft) of climbing. That equates to 92km (57mi) and 1165m (3822ft) on each ride day. That in turn works out at 12.7m/km (67.1ft/mi) climbing on average over the month.

On the year to date, that's 304 days, it works out at 44km per day (27mi) with 514m (1686ft) of climbing. Well over the ten miles a day, that I set out to do in January!

How are the rest of you getting on? As we go into the dark months, will you be easing back or ploughing on regardless?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

For all those reading this thread who are in awe of 'foxyrider' (Hello !!) here is a post from a mere mortal.

3786 miles YTD...which I suppose puts to bed the 10 miles/day for the year. My 375 miles/month (ish) mileage will probably increase slightly and so I will probably end the year on around 4500 miles. I'm happy enough with that. I'm 61, I've been cycling for 6 years, no way could I have done this 20 years ago.....How on earth does that work eh ???.... :mrgreen:

'foxyrider'.....big big respect Sir....... :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tiberius wrote:For all those reading this thread who are in awe of 'foxyrider' (Hello !!) here is a post from a mere mortal.

3786 miles YTD...which I suppose puts to bed the 10 miles/day for the year. My 375 miles/month (ish) mileage will probably increase slightly and so I will probably end the year on around 4500 miles. I'm happy enough with that. I'm 61, I've been cycling for 6 years, no way could I have done this 20 years ago.....How on earth does that work eh ???.... :mrgreen:

'foxyrider'.....big big respect Sir....... :)

I'm a mere 55yo - i'm hardly superman!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

There were a couple of very wet and windy weekends so 860 for the month, a little down on previous months. 31.6 miles per day to 31st October.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

986 for the month, pretty happy with that. Just under 9000 for the year so far. Never bothered to work out averages but rides are generally between 30 and 50 miles - the Isle of Wight is quite small!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Start a new post and 30 miles a day , You might get more posters?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 - November updates

Post by foxyrider »

So here we are, the eleventh month is now behind us, the weather has turned from mild and mostly dry to damp and cooler, the best bikes are safe indoors, the legs covered the rain gear on. :(

I've now gone over 7 months without missing a planned ride through weather or illness - pretty good for me. Mind you, this last week i've come pretty close with the incessant wet and low cloud. Maybe it's Karma but I have had more deflation incidents this month than i've had in total for 3 years - one awkward stone strike, one thorn and one I haven't worked out.

So onto the numbers - it's actually been quite a bike intensive month, 20 ride days which has affected the averages as there were 8 short 'commute' days. So total for the month was 1648km (1020mi) with 21197m (69544ft) of climbing. The average ride day was 82km (51mi) / 1060m (3478ft), overall for the 30 day month that's 55km (33mi) / 707m (2320ft).

That gives an overall climb rate of 12.91m/km (68.28ft/mi) - of course it's actually more like double that as @ half the distance is 'downhill'.

The year to date, 334 days average out at 45km (28mi) and 530m (1739ft).

Looks like I might reach 16100km (10000 mi) for the year - unless the weather really closes down during December. I am away over Chrimbo - to Austria but I will be taking a bike so hopefully I can get a couple of Alpine rides in over the festive season!

How are the rest of you going on?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

As of today, I've done 5401 miles, so got my target of 100 miles a week average with a month to spare. With a bit of luck, I should get over 6000 for the year.

My mileage is a bit down on my best years, as I now work mostly from home, so don't get the commuting miles that I used to. I'll be retiring next May so m hoping for a better year next year, with more time available to ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
drossall

Post by drossall »

Some depressingly impressive totals here. Following today's Audax, I've got 210 miles to go to scrape 10 miles a day for the year. I haven't really recorded mileage till the last two years, when the club started a mileage competition. Obviously I'm nowhere in that, but it's still given me some impetus.
whoof

Post by whoof »

802 miles for November giving a year to date total of 10530 or 31.5 miles per day.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've passed 2600 miles for the year but I'm not sure I'm going to make it to 3000 unless I can pack the miles in (unlikely). I should equal, I might even pass, last year's 2848 miles but I doubt there will be too much difference.

Too much life getting in the way of extended cycling this year.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

RickH wrote:I've passed 2600 miles for the year but I'm not sure I'm going to make it to 3000 unless I can pack the miles in (unlikely). I should equal, I might even pass, last year's 2848 miles but I doubt there will be too much difference.

Too much life getting in the way of extended cycling this year.

Distance isn't everything, enjoying your riding is the main thing :D