Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 30 Miles a day - 2018

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not even going to look how many miles I didn't do so far.
36 today but I could not keep that up every day at the rate I do it.
Actually a rough calculation puts me at about 10 / day :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
djrikki

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by djrikki »

Hello,

Well I don't have a daily target, because ya know, I like some days off :lol: :lol:

I have a 2000KM target for August and so far so good having clocked up 570km already - long may the great weather continue - if not I get wet.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

So I have been at it for 2 weeks now and amazingly I’m not dead. Though I’m pining for a better bike. The £90 charity shop hardtail mountain bike... well it’s making me work. And I want one of them fancy computers because I -think- I’m getting faster. But truthfully I’m just peddaling my heart out hoping to make it to the other end.
My poor poor bottom
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 August update

Post by foxyrider »

Somehow another month has passed, a bit of a drop off in the weather but here in the south Pennine area i've not had enough wet to need a jacket for more than five minutes! Total of 14 ride days, no cancels due to weather / illness for a fourth month which is good for me!

I've been 'training' for a sportive in Austria so August has been a bit climb heavy, 19.366m (63537ft) of ascent across 1534km (953miles). Apart from a social weekend every ride has been over 100km (62miles)and 1000m (3281ft) climbing with a 201km (125miles) ride and a couple of 2000m (6562ft) climb days for good measure! Average ride for the month is 110km (68miles) with 1383m (4537ft) of up.

Longest ride was that 201km (125miles) ride, most ascent 2257m (7405ft) on a long loop up over Saddleworth and back via the Peak District.

The bigger picture ytd (243 days?) is 50km (31miles) per day with 500m (1640ft) climbing - the challenge will be to keep the momentum up as we head into the autumn and a my non bike trip season!

With 2/3rds of the year gone how are the rest of you going with the 'challenge'?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tykeboy2003

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 August update

Post by tykeboy2003 »

foxyrider wrote:With 2/3rds of the year gone how are the rest of you going with the 'challenge'?

Not that I'm not actually trying to do this but I'm on 8.9 miles a day (my commute is just under 12 miles there and back), I'm probably going to end the year more or less where I am now.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Doing OK.....

3,005 miles for the year so far, so approx' 12 miles/day to date.

Autumn/winter on the way and I always do more miles in winter....it's colder but the CONSTANT summer wind here drops.

Should end up with 4,500 miles (ish) 12 miles/day......That'll do...... :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

7791 which works out at 32 miles per day.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

6958, not worked out the average but it must be about 30.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I should pass 2000 miles this week. To much "life"* going on to do much more. All plans for a few days away on the bike have been thwarted so far.

(*"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" is what John Lennon sang, probably referencing earlier versions of the quote - link )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am on ten miles a day with two 164 milers means that I don't have to cycle for 13 days to keep afloat :mrgreen:

Thing is it all depends on the miles X terrain I am used to averaging 7 mph over the weekend...................but 24 hours in the saddle with a 35 kilo bike on / off road how does that compare with flatlanders........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

608 miles for August, most of it (410) on CTC rides, just the one 200 km Audax and not much utility riding due to work changes. See what September brings, I've already done an Audax and have two more planned, plus a lot of CTC stuff, could be a good month.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

I have not done any “pleasure” cycling. Strictly commuting with is only 3.5miles each way 5 days a week. So I’m WELL behind on 10 miles a day. But I’m happy to say that 2 days after being mowed down by a white van man I did 17 miles today.
My poor poor bottom
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 September updates

Post by foxyrider »

Can it really be a month since the last update? It's certainly been a strange one, very pleasant in these parts for the most part although ending on a decidedly cooler note! I've been on a 10 day motorised road trip - I took a bike to ride the 171km Eddy Merckx Classic near Salzburg and managed to get another three rides in on the excellent Austrian and German roads so I didn't actually lose any ride days.

So to the numbers, 1,352km (840mi), 17,205m (56,447ft) over 14 days riding. Average day was 96.6km (60mi) with 1,229m (4,032ft) climbing thrown in for 12.73m/km (50.1ft/mi). That doesn't look too impressive but given the mix of terrain ridden from quite lumpy Pennines to the lightly rolling North Notts area I don't consider it's too shabby (subtract the downhills and it's double straight away!)

Year to date (273 days) i've averaged 43.9km (27.28mi) with 508m (1,667ft) of ascent. I've also now exceeded the year target of 12,000km (7,456mi) so the remainder of the year gets a supplementary target of 4,000km (2,485mi) - might be a toughie as we go into the bad weather and i've got potentially a couple of no bike weeks in the period - we'll see!

How are the rest of you faring as we go into autumn?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Si

Post by Si »

got back up to 70miles a week for first time since off the bike in mid aug.....I think the season of man flu has started now :-(

Anyway...here's the thing:

Before mid aug I was increasing distance, both of longest ride in the week and overall weekly mileage. I was certainly going further, but I was aching and I didn't seem to be going any faster...indeed loads of people seemed to be overtaking me....not just roadie race snakes, but people in casual clothes on heavy mtbs, etc. Had the best part of three weeks off in Aug then got back on and immediately recorded my two fastest commutes (both ways so not wind assisted) all year (if not for a couple of years). Over training?
honesty

Post by honesty »

400 miles behind the 10 mile a day target at the moment, and it's unlikely I'll make it back before the end of the year. Should get just over 3000 for this year which I'm happy about as I lost the whole of February and most of March to family holidays and weather.