Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by Grandad »

, I wish road closed signs and detour signs would stipulate whether it's passable by pedestrians and cyclists, some detours are very long.

I always work on the assumption that there will be room for cyclists and pedestrians to get through. Came unstuck when the road was a bridge over a railway and the bridge had been demolished :D

Been turned back by the workmen a couple of times (jobsworths :( ) but this is very unusual.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Grandad wrote:
, I wish road closed signs and detour signs would stipulate whether it's passable by pedestrians and cyclists, some detours are very long.

I always work on the assumption that there will be room for cyclists and pedestrians to get through......

Been turned back by the workmen a couple of times (jobsworths :( ) but this is very unusual.

Likewise. Only once found a road completely closed but 99% of the time room for cyclists & pedestrians. Sometimes workmen on site will move barriers to let me through, even stop a digger whilst I pass and they've always done this as I approach and without being asked and always friendly about it.

Ian
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

It's nice to have targets to aim for, I've previously tried different things over the years:

10miles per day avg. (ie: 3650 a year)
5000 miles per year, then 6000 miles per year
300 days with a ride
350 days with a ride (came so close at 348!)
50/50 split of onroad and offroad in a year
min of 2000 miles on the single speed

and many others! I find changing the goal gives me new motivation, currently sitting at 850miles so far in 2018 over 57 individual rides. I have a few audaxes scheduled in for March and April which always help to bump to totals up but I have a baby due in early May so things may take a downwards spiral after that!

I'll probably still manage the 10miles per day avg. but my target for this year will be simply to manage one 'not commuting' ride per week, as I'll still need to ride to work and back regardless.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

My target is just to get back to being able to do club rides without my arm hurting , 6 months of physio and it still is not 100 % .
I think sportives etc are out as my fitness is down the pan and about half a stone overweight , commuting is 19 miles a day but weather like we are having and night shift = cautious .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

So another month has passed - time for an update!

February has seen 10 ride days, averaging 104km (64.6 miles) average ascent 1224m. Over the whole month of 28 days it's 37.3km (23.1 miles) and 437m climbing. (total 1044km (648.7 miles)/12244m) Totals for the year to date are 2318km (1440 miles) with 26802m of climbing spread over 106.5 hours in the saddle! (that's just over 24 miles a day)

So the monthly totals are a bit down on January but I lost a couple of days nursing a cold which would have made the difference up. Hopefully as the weather 'improves' :lol: I can make up the shortfall.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Managing 3 rides a week,min.Shortest of 15mins(5xhill sprints),longest 2.5hrs.Dalbeattie forest in recent spell of snow and ice so a total of 27 rides,53hrs,average say 14mph so 740mls.I only count hours so offroad efforts can be factored in.Don,t do rain.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

400 miles in January, 9 in Feb. Ok, I’ve been seriously ill in hospital for most of it, but when I get back on the bike I’ve got some catching up to do...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I suspect that this week's weather will have reduced a lot of daily average distances :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:400 miles in January, 9 in Feb. Ok, I’ve been seriously ill in hospital for most of it, but when I get back on the bike I’ve got some catching up to do...

Hope its not too bad [XAP]Bob? Sounds different from your accident.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Grandad wrote:I suspect that this week's weather will have reduced a lot of daily average distances :(

No kidding - not managed a ride yet this month! Hopefully tomorrow if no. More snow falls but there was an extra coating last night here so only the main road is clear.
Oh well, at least I don't have an injury or cold keeping me inside, get well soon Bob
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:400 miles in January, 9 in Feb. Ok, I’ve been seriously ill in hospital for most of it, but when I get back on the bike I’ve got some catching up to do...

Hope its not too bad [XAP]Bob? Sounds different from your accident.

AFAICT at this point - unrelated to the crash...

I’m out of the ‘looking for fatal conditions’ and ‘keeping you alive on IV fluids’ stages, so that’s good...

Current major symptoms are insupressable vertigo and deafness :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Grandad wrote:

I always work on the assumption that there will be room for cyclists and pedestrians to get through. Came unstuck when the road was a bridge over a railway and the bridge had been demolished :D

Come unstuck twice on assuming road would be passable....
Road ended where a new road was being built and we scrambled down the embankment and back up the otherside... it was half a mile to the end of the lane and about 8 miles around...
Barriers across road where it was being dug up, at the start of the lane it did say road closed, half a mile down the road at the road works there was sign saying closed event to cyclists... would have been helpful to put it where we turned on to the lane.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

First, I was ill.
Second, I was well but the weather was bitterly cold.
Third, we had snow and ice plus bitterly cold.
Fourth, it's chucking it down with rain and will be for much of the day.

This cycling lark is no fun at all. :cry:

Today, Monday, is where I could cycle for a decent ride. Tomorrow, I'm busy, Wednesday too, so it'll be fingers crossed for reasonable weather for Thursday.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tues only good day for out on the bike, rest of week its raining.
I am making up my miles or trying to catch up on the boards at the moment, probably on 6/day so far.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:First, I was ill.
Second, I was well but the weather was bitterly cold.
Third, we had snow and ice plus bitterly cold.
Fourth, it's chucking it down with rain and will be for much of the day.

This cycling lark is no fun at all. :cry:

I want to agree but I cannae remember, have not been cycling for eight days
Should be able to cycle tomorrow, the snow has started melting
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies