Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by Mick F »

Only done 60odd miles this year so far.
10miles a day?
I should have done 320 by now. :cry:

I'm not well, and down with the Lurgy. I'm asthmatic and this is giving me a great deal of difficulty breathing deeply enough for cycling.

I'm active ok, and not bed-ridden at all, and I've even been hacking and slashing our jungle of a garden and even chainsawing and hauling logs, but cardo-vascular exercise like cycling is just too much for me. :oops:

Been ill since the turn of the year, and I can see it lingering and lingering though into February. I can also see me going to see the doc as it'll be affecting my lungs.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:I'm not well, and down with the Lurgy. I'm asthmatic and this is giving me a great deal of difficulty breathing deeply enough for cycling.

Have you got a TUE yet ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, lost me there.
TUE?

I do have a glass of beer though. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

630, but not in the region of 30/day that i have done previously between bad weather and nursing those with 'man-flu'
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Mick F wrote:Sorry, lost me there.
TUE?

T.U.E = Therapeutic Use Exemption. A certificate issued to a Pro' cyclist that allows him to take a banned drug/jollop and race on.

Ask Bradley...... :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TUE?

I do have a glass of beer though. :D

They are a slightly odd aspect of pro cycling (and other sports?)...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The result has been 14 ride days, averaging 91km (56.5 miles) each with 1063m of ascent. Over the whole month of 31 days it's 41.1km (25.5 miles) and 480m climbing. (total 1274km (791.6m miles)/14888m) So yup I'm smashing the 10 miles a day so far, yay for me.

What's the aim? To get out every day and ride at least 10 miles, or is it the average over the year/week/month?
My commuting/utility mileage means I'm likely to manage either, but this hasn't been a good year so far and could do with some motivation...

Mt personal motivation - well there are several threads to it. Firstly to return to a level of fitness I was maintaining prior to ill health in 2017. I put on best part of 20kg while off the bike, the riding has contributed to losing most of that, it would be nice to get a bit extra off too!

Hopefully that should all keep me healthier in the future so i'm around for the grand child that's arriving in a few weeks.

The last bit, well as some encouragement rather than full on competitiveness, I enjoy riding sportives and i've got a few entered and most of them are quite hilly! (I do the long routes up to @ 200km and often with 1500/2500m of climbing - you need to be quite fit to do them) When you are out there you can't hide from the weather so I don't when I go 'training'.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tiberius wrote:T.U.E = Therapeutic Use Exemption. A certificate issued to a Pro' cyclist that allows him to take a banned drug/jollop and race on.

I'm on a varying mixture of beer, pots of tea, Beecham's Hot Lemon, Ventolin, fresh air, gentle walks, and tender loving care.

The TLC is the best bit.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife struggles in the cold weather, due to her asthma. Breathing in cold air is not good for the condition. She just about survives the winter, but she rides much better when the warm weather comes.

I've had a cold this week, with a nose like a dripping tap on Monday and Tuesday, but it's pretty much cleared up now and not gone onto my chest.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You're lucky then, but your wife less so.
I was in bed at 19:30 yesterday evening, and didn't get up until 06:30 this morning ................ but still feeling crap. :cry:

The weather is forecast to be ok for this week coming, so I may force myself out on a gentle bike ride. The difficulty is the "gentle" bit of it as we have hills even before I've done a quarter of a mile.

I could take the bike in the car to Lydford and go along the Granite Way to Okehampton and back. Fairly flat disused rail bed.
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

4th consecutive year cycling all 31 days in January - 758 miles in total, much less than 2017 and 2015, similar to 2016 though. Weather not so kind this year.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Si

Post by Si »

My kan bearlymade 5 miles a day thanks to a bit of flu and now waiting for a wounded arm to recover. Ho hum, maybe do it feb to feb!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:You're lucky then, but your wife less so.
I was in bed at 19:30 yesterday evening, and didn't get up until 06:30 this morning ................ but still feeling crap. :cry:

The weather is forecast to be ok for this week coming, so I may force myself out on a gentle bike ride. The difficulty is the "gentle" bit of it as we have hills even before I've done a quarter of a mile.

I could take the bike in the car to Lydford and go along the Granite Way to Okehampton and back. Fairly flat disused rail bed.

Take the car, have a late breaky at the railway cafe :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm trying for a modest 100 miles every month, at least, which I suppose will be over 3 miles a day. Looking at my records I'm too much of a fair weather cyclist and don't keep up cycling all through the year.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tiberius wrote:
TUE?

T.U.E = Therapeutic Use Exemption. A certificate issued to a Pro' cyclist that allows him to take a banned drug/jollop and race on.

Now I understand: super TUEsday!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies