Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by honesty »

I had a rubbish February, 2 week family holiday then 2 weeks of rubbish weather, jet lag, snot filled hacking cough, and snow. Did a total of 30 miles... hopefully March will be better. Got an audax booked for the 18th which will add some miles.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm currently 100 miles ahead of schedule. Today is the 66th day of the year and I've done 772 miles. A week in the Canaries and 200 miles in 7 days warm weather riding has put me back on schedule.

Weather at home is looking better - been out today and done 42 miles.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Mick F wrote:First, I was ill.
Second, I was well but the weather was bitterly cold.
Third, we had snow and ice plus bitterly cold.
Fourth, it's chucking it down with rain and will be for much of the day.

This cycling lark is no fun at all. :cry:

Today, Monday, is where I could cycle for a decent ride. Tomorrow, I'm busy, Wednesday too, so it'll be fingers crossed for reasonable weather for Thursday.

I feel for you , off the bike all last week as i am on nights so unless i commute in the week i dont get any riding till the weekend as my body says " you have got to be kidding sleep ".
Had a work mate ask for a lift ( he gives me one if its really bad on days ) and he had to push the car through a snow drift in ahowling blizzard so there was no way i was cycling.
Back on the bike this week as there are still snow drifts making the road 1 car width on sections of my commute .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 - March update

Post by foxyrider »

What a month, no illness but no chance of a ride on 6 days due to snow and ridiculous amounts of rain!

Did manage to ride on 12 days covering 1263km (785mi) and climbing 13525m (44373ft) whilst doing so. Average ride in March was 105km/1127m (65mi/3698ft).

So far for 2018 as a whole, i've covered 3606km/40910m (2240mi/134219ft) with the average ride 97km/1105m (60mi/3625ft). For the first 90 days of the year it's 39km/450m (24mi/1476ft) per day.

Will April keep up the momentum? How're the rest of you doing?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RickH

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 - March update

Post by RickH »

foxyrider wrote:How're the rest of you doing?

A slow start for me as I had flu over Christmas & New Year (& something similar in early November which didn't help fitness levels)! :(

My tally is 588 miles/ 28,494ft for the year so far but picking up mileage slowly so, hopefully, will do better in the coming weeks. :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm well ahead. I think today is day 92 and I'm currently on 1127 miles for the year, an average of 12.25 miles per day. Rode to Skegness last Thursday (71 miles) but caught the train back. Last week was my best week of the year - 176 miles.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Just checked and I’m surprised to find that I’ve done 1,181 miles so far. Better than I feared because the weather has been pretty lousy and seemed to keep me off the bike quite a bit. But I need to step things up because the longest ride I’ve managed was only about 36 miles.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

1457 miles so far, looks to be a bit down on last year's figure at the same date. The last couple of weeks have been a bit frustrating, I was hoping for some longer rides now there is more daylight but the weather has limited my cycling activities.
Si

Post by Si »

Im wellbehind. Only just managed my first teo 70mile weeks this year thanks to illness and injury.

Hoping am now in the start of a better period...but lots of catching up to do....need around 100 miles per week for next three months to catch up to 70 average.
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 April updates

Post by foxyrider »

Another month and hopefully everyone has had some better riding weather. I did miss a day due to bad weather and several more as I was on a road trip but overall not too bad.

So 9592m of climbing spread over 1051km in 11 rides during the month. For the year i'm up to 51578m and 4716km over 48 ride days so at the moment i'm on 39km a day with 426m which puts me ahead at the moment and hopefully on target for my 12000km target for the year.

I've got a couple more sportives lined up into June so I need to keep the riding up through the next few weeks and a big event in September won't allow me much slack in the summer either!

So how is everyone else doing, hitting targets? Having issues? Got stuff coming up? Don't be bashful let us all in on your glee or woes!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm still well ahead. As of today I've done 1571 miles so far this year and we are on day 121. I've managed to get 3 70 milers in the last few weeks, which has helped boost the mileage.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My target is a lowly 100 miles every month, which I've only just been hitting, did 12 miles yesterday, the last day of April to get finished, then realised I was 0.6 miles short so popped around the block just to get done.
Hoping to get started on reaching May's target this week and maybe finishing it next week. The lighter nights mean I can now go out for a bit once the kids are in bed and I only have one more game of rugby this season which makes it possible to ride any day of the week, without needing to recover from cycling in time to play rugby, or to recover from rugby to go cycling. I should probably prepare my summer bike too.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I am a full time care giver so my time just like most people is limited to get out and ride, I have found the only way to relieve the responsibility and stress of being a carer is to get on my bike, so I set a minimum of 60 miles per week, sometimes I manage 80 but like a lot of you this year the weather, snow, gales, ice, life! is playing havoc with my goal and a couple of weeks ago saddle sores so had to rest off the bike. Last week I did 86 miles and now off the bike again because the sores are back, i didn't wait long enough but I will get there.
Patrick
whoof

Post by whoof »

Just totalled up the first four months of the year and 3527 miles or 29.4 mile per day. Commuting adds to the overall total as I still get 25 miles in on days when I wouldn't ride if I didn't have to commute such as today.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I am a full time care giver so my time just like most people is limited to get out and ride, I have found the only way to relieve the responsibility and stress of being a carer is to get on my bike, so I set a minimum of 60 miles per week, sometimes I manage 80 but like a lot of you this year the weather, snow, gales, ice, life! is playing havoc with my goal and a couple of weeks ago saddle sores so had to rest off the bike. Last week I did 86 miles and now off the bike again because the sores are back, i didn't wait long enough but I will get there.
Patrick

I was in a similar position until a few weeks ago and I ended-up a prisoner in the house (as those I was caring/responsible for would do something daft left unattended) - so my cycling target for the year has disappeared. Hopefully, when weather improves and/if I get to do a tour then I'll pick-up enough miles to make any target viable.

Ian