Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 April updates

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:So how is everyone else doing, hitting targets? Having issues? Got stuff coming up? Don't be bashful let us all in on your glee or woes!

I took January off, I'd found myself spending too much time riding for the sake of it, so had a break and did other stuff including a fair bit of walking. I still rode to work, though as that's round the corner it only came to 100 miles for the month. February didn't do much either, when there was the will there wasn't the weather. Had a bit of a re-focus and am being a lot more selective about when and where I go, March & April picked up with fewer rides than last year, but more time spent on unfamiliar roads.
Totals for the year so far - Utility 546 miles in 74 rides, CTC group 276 miles in 7 rides, Touring 161 miles in 3 rides, Audax 684 miles in 4 rides, other leisure 306 miles in 9 rides. So a grand total of 1,973 miles in 97 rides, though I haven't ridden every day and some days are multiple rides. That's quite a few rides less than this time last year, though totalling it up I'm surprised it isn't much less mileage, probably helped along by the Audaxing which I haven't done much of for the last couple of years.
I've picked out quite a lot of rides I'd like to do this year, CTC and Audax, no tour planned as work is a currently too precarious to plan around. I'll see how it goes, I've had some really nice rides so far this year and although I'm an unapologetic number collector it's a year for quality over quantity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by Mick F »

January I wasn't well, plus in early February I was involved in the local panto - scene shifting and back-stage, and also in the chorus singing and dancing. :oops: December wasn't good for me. Weather mainly.

Jan 1st and including yesterday, my total is only 489.59miles = 4.046miles per day.

Total for the whole of 2017 was 2,914.64miles = 7.985miles per day.
2016 was even worse. 2558.05miles = 7.185 miles per day.

Terrible.
I must give myself a damned good thrashing. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Terrible.
I must give myself a damned good thrashing. :cry:

yeah, but you do know Cornish miles count double? :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I take that in my stride, but I wonder if other folk actually get it and understand it?
It's a regular thought on here - and with me too ............ how does total ascent effect mileage done on the flat?
Is there a conversion factor?

Can I reduce my miles per day to five plus 500ft?
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:I take that in my stride, but I wonder if other folk actually get it and understand it?
It's a regular thought on here - and with me too ............ how does total ascent effect mileage done on the flat?
Is there a conversion factor?

Can I reduce my miles per day to five plus 500ft?

I reckon my climbing is worth at least 25% extra distance (not that i'd think of claiming that) so a 75km ride in the PD is worth 100km out east from here. This is invariably backed up by ride time.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018 May updates

Post by foxyrider »

Another month has passed us by - where are they going this year?

May is the first time this year and in fact since last October that i've not lost days due to either i'll health or the weather. I've also been using the best bike which means it's summer I guess (even if it's technically still spring!)

The numbers are however nothing that special, 1279km (795 miles) with 17191m (56401ft) of ascent. On average the 14 rides were each just over 91km (56 miles) with 1228m (4029ft) of climbing.

For the year to date it's 5911km (3673 miles)with 67440m (221260ft) of up or put another way, 39km (24 miles) a day with 446m (1463ft) climbing for each of the 151 days of 2018.

With the change of bike ride speed has shot up to an average of 25kph (15.5mph) - doesn't sound too impressive put like that but it's @ 4kph (2mph) up from the rest of the year. This is almost entirely in the southern Pennines with a fair bit of stiff climbing so i'm quite chuffed. Whilst speed isn't everything it's nice to get the wind in your hair as you swoop down the hills after getting the old motor going on the way up!

Well that's me, how are you lot going this month?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

Plenty to enjoy in May, even the weather, that means more to me than the numbers, though I'm pleased enough with them as well:
155 miles commuting and utility - 473 Audax miles, three 200s completed and one abandoned with a mechanical - 152 miles on two CTC rides. That brings the average up to a little over 18 a day, not bad considering I took two months off, though I'm well behind the goals I set myself.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ill health and old age catching up on me has put me at 9 M a day so far.
Perhaps you could start a new thread and call it 20+ Miles a day :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My 10/day is currently on hold due to breaking 5th metatarsal in left foot, at least I have dispensed with crutches after the first few days of non weight bearing and now have a walking plaster/shoe.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:My 10/day is currently on hold due to breaking 5th metatarsal in left foot, at least I have dispensed with crutches after the first few days of non weight bearing and now have a walking plaster/shoe.

What have you been doing to yourself?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

I'm several 100 miles behind still. Just done my first 100miles weeks...very sad, this time 10 years back I was looking at 100mile days not 100mile weeks :-( I thought when I started working part time, and when much of that work would be on a bike, I'd get many more miles in, alas it ain't so.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

How on earth are we halfway through the year?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:How on earth are we halfway through the year?

I read that as where has time gone.................yep summer is here and I still haven't got on the road bike :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:My 10/day is currently on hold due to breaking 5th metatarsal in left foot, at least I have dispensed with crutches after the first few days of non weight bearing and now have a walking plaster/shoe.

Stepped back on garden path missed step, caught side of foot on the edge of the step... slipped (it was when it was dampish last Friday) went down with side of foot pivotting on the edge of the step..... felt sickeningly faint... so in heart of hearts guessed had done something serious-ish... but carried on ... like you do... finally admitted defeat Sat morning ... besides 7am is usually quiet in A+E.... contemplating a walk to the gym for upper body workout now that i can walk again.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Stepped back on garden path missed step, caught side of foot on the edge of the step... slipped (it was when it was dampish last Friday) went down with side of foot pivotting on the edge of the step..... felt sickeningly faint... so in heart of hearts guessed had done something serious-ish... but carried on ... like you do... finally admitted defeat Sat morning ... besides 7am is usually quiet in A+E.....

Get well soon,and keep off the wine in future :wink:

.. contemplating a walk to the gym for upper body workout now that i can walk again

Yer a hard woman :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden