Should I get an AirZound?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Re: Should I get an AirZound?

Post by brooksby »

NUKe wrote:Though even that can be misunderstood. I remember once at junction about 300 yards from home, I gave a bip on the horn (Motorcycle) . I had just pulled up when this rather red faced, chest puffed out spoiling for a fight motorists turns up "what is your problem" with at least 3 expletives in there. I was totally mystified as to his manner until I looked behind him and realised it was the car from the junction. I just replied your the car from the junction at.. I was just making sure you realised I was there, its getting dark and I wanted to make sure I wasn't invisible. He deflated rather quickly and skulked back to his car. BTW the AIr zounds can be blipped just like a car horn.

The motorist was basically red-faced and angry because you'd used your Airzound in exactly the same way that many motorists do to cyclists (or other motorists). I'm not sure if that's ironic or an Object Lesson... :?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I used the horn to warn of my presence nothing more. He had taken it as a rebuke, because that is what many motorists use there horns for, so they see it as threat.
NUKe

Post by Tilley »

I have an AirZound and a bell fitted to my recumbent trike. The bell is to warn pedestrians especially when on shared paths and cycletracks. The AirZound I fitted to warn drivers of my presence. Fortunately to date I have never had to use the AirZound in anger. However I feel that it is a useful addition on the trike.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Airzounds are awesome 140db and will scare the bejesus and of someone.

I have ping beel and AZ on my town/commute bike, AZ good for use in anger at cars.
On shared paths ping bell generally for peds but have used AZ from a few hundred metres to draw attention that I am approaching. I always politely thank peeps when passing.