Cycling the North York Moors – a galaxy on my doorstep

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Cycling the North York Moors – a galaxy on my doorstep

Post by mercalia »

"Looking for an adventure with a cosmic feel, our writer reckons a new cycling centre in the wonderfully named Great Fryup Dale will fit the bill"

Hey Ho the Guardian takes to cycling :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/feb/04/north-york-moors-new-cycling-hub?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=262906&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Tiberius

Re: Cycling the North York Moors – a galaxy on my doorstep

Post by Tiberius »

It's absolutely fabulous up there....Life as it used to be....Hardly any traffic and NO sirens.

It's not mega isolated, Whitby is not too far away, but it's isolated enough....A really stunning part of the world.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

It is good there.

The Cycle Rally used to organise a ride out there and back from York, maybe still does. One of my favourite rides, when going well and not in the depths of winter, taking in some really challenging hills. Terrington Bank, Caulkleys Bank, Blakey Bank(!), down to Danby and then struggling up Little Fryup Dale (next to Great Fryup Dale) before hurtling down to Rosedale and attempting Rosedale Chimney climb, with plenty more up and down before levelling off for the return to York. Of course, there are many good cafes but some are unfortunately positioned before the big climbs making any subsequent attempt doomed.

By the way, the Howardian Hills are also very good and shouldn't be overlooked.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Tiberius wrote:It's absolutely fabulous up there......A really stunning part of the world.

It's going to be a fantastic spring & summer on the Moors and the Dales!

I may not have enjoyed the forced employment relocation over Christmas at a few days notice. Or the 50% reduction in real wage.

But having got bored silly with the same 60 mile radius of home on the bike for the last nine years, it's an incredible experience to be based half way between the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales, until I move on. I've passed through the region many times and have a fair idea of the main routes. But even on a trial run last weekend and the one just gone, seeing signposts for idyllic locations which I'd normally only consider during a 150 mile diversion (6 miles this way, 6 miles that), makes the experience worthwhile!
Last edited by gbnz on 5 Feb 2018, 7:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Chat Noir wrote:
By the way, the Howardian Hills are also very good and shouldn't be overlooked.

Yep, they used to be on my Northern "day limit" when living further down South. Superb
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The last thing we need is the Guardian encouraging more people to the area!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hercule

Post by hercule »

I used to live in the Howardian Hills - a great place for cycling. Haven’t been there for many years but another fantastic place for cycling (don’t tell anyone) is the Wolds a bit to the east. Completely overlooked by tourists and the sort of place that you feel you have gone through a time warp and are going to find Frank Patterson sketching round the next corner...