The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Post by kwackers »

On my way home last night there's a quiet section of road I like to 'fartlek'.

It's a set of lights with a slight downhill in a 30, I push as hard as I can (probably going a little over 30) then it bends to the left, then goes straight for a little while then over a railway bridge with a sharpish right turn all of which is a 20 (with double white lines).
I use my ill gotten speed to climb the bridge standing on the peddles and can usually be a little over 20mph at the apex, I then push hard down into the 30, through a set of lights into a 40 and then try to hold the speed as long as I can.

I did the same again last night then in the 40 I was overtaken by a little red car with a yoof hanging out of the passenger window shouting "get the *bleep* out of the middle of the road" (I was about 1.5m from the kerb and it's a wide and empty road).
He then turned left 50 yards ahead (although I wasn't that far behind him).

I figured I'd check the footage from my tail light camera to see what had pee'd them off.

They're behind me at the lights then as I accelerate down the hill they slowly drop back, catching up slightly coming up to the 20 and the hill and then in the 20 drop right back, by the time I hit the 40 they're nearly 100m further back before slowly catching up, passing me and then turning left.

Very obviously they had a black box fitted and were obeying the speed limit.

The footage was funny for its juxtaposition of the aggressive loudmouth youth keeping to the speed limit and losing ground to a bicycle before finally the speed limit is raised enough for them to catch up and voice their grievance.
Last edited by Graham on 13 Feb 2018, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So . . . . So . . . . So . . . . & FFE family-friendly edit
Postboxer

Re: The 'tragedy' of black boxes...

Post by Postboxer »

I bet the insurance company would like to hear about it, even if they were obeying the speed limit.
Graham

Post by Graham »

It is a great shame that all motor vehicles are not fitted with black box recorders.

The motoring voters would squeal like stuck pigs. . . . Anything to avoid being held to account.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What does "fartlek" mean?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Where's the tragedy?
Oiks shouting out of windows predates car black boxes by many decades, are you suggesting the two are linked?
How do you think they would have been driving if they weren't having their speed recorded?
I'm not in any way trying to justify their behaviour, but I'd rather have an antisocial driver obeying the speed limit than not.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What does "fartlek" mean?

As far as I known, runners use it to mean varying terrain or inervals, to improve fitness, prevent getting bored, etc.

In Scandinavian languages, it means 'speed play'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PH wrote:Where's the tragedy?
Oiks shouting out of windows predates car black boxes by many decades, are you suggesting the two are linked?
How do you think they would have been driving if they weren't having their speed recorded?
I'm not in any way trying to justify their behaviour, but I'd rather have an antisocial driver obeying the speed limit than not.

The "tragedy" (note the quotes) is the antisocial behaviour reigned in by the forced obedience of the speed limit.

I fear my post hasn't quite got across my amusement at watching idiots in a car being unable to keep up with a bicycle and then essentially complain about it being in the way.
I'm pretty sure had they not had a black box they'd have passed me on the way down the initial hill at speed. Whether they'd have felt the same angst I can't say...

I'm all for black boxes btw, in fact I'd mandate them for all vehicles.
PH

Post by PH »

kwackers wrote:The "tragedy" (note the quotes) is the antisocial behaviour reigned in by the forced obedience of the speed limit.

You've lost me, still don't understand where the tragedy is, we must have different definitions of the word.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PH wrote:You've lost me, still don't understand where the tragedy is, we must have different definitions of the word.

I guess it depends on how you see the situation.

I see it as a yoofs trying for the dizzy heights of Mad Max or Marlon Brando in The Wild One in their little red car but being thwarted by a black box.
The tragedy being the failure of their aspirations.

As I said I've probably failed in my op to get across how it seemed to me - you probably had to be there.
I notice graham has popped up with one of his bizarre quotes so I'm guessing he probably agrees with you...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?

Not sure, but the insurer sends you regular reports on your driving.
They normally don't just measure speed, they also have accelerometers and measure braking, cornering etc etc.

I was on the train the other day and some woman was complaining about her son being turfed off the scheme. He'd had a final warning and finally they gave him the boot for doing 35 in a 20 (well, they gave him the option of paying another £1500 for continued insurance apparently).
She was outraged because "everyone does 35 in a 20 and if you try to go 20 you just get cars up your *bottom"

(*edited to please graham).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Even without boxes you can experience that especially down hill.
Part of the problem is of course that I can and will exceed the speed limit as I only have myself to worry about or blame.
And that its easier to out corner cars without recklessness but a car would need to be reckless.
Fun when you hit the road speed limit and leave them behind.
I always adjust my speed for the conditions, many used to overtake me coming home from work and say next day, don't you drive slow in the wet, well you do on two wheels don't you, the remark was always on motorcycles.
All car drivers should be made to ride two wheels, you appreciate road holding better.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Does the black box make a noise if one tries to exceed the maximum speed limit?

Not sure, but the insurer sends you regular reports on your driving.
They normally don't just measure speed, they also have accelerometers and measure braking, cornering etc etc.

I was on the train the other day and some woman was complaining about her son being turfed off the scheme. He'd had a final warning and finally they gave him the boot for doing 35 in a 20 (well, they gave him the option of paying another £1500 for continued insurance apparently).
She was outraged because "everyone does 35 in a 20 and if you try to go 20 you just get cars up your *bottom"

(*edited to please graham).

One of my pet hates "Everyone does that" that's a self demeaning of the person who says that, sheep come to mind.
35 in a 20 :roll:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Foreign :mrgreen: Oldish saying for interval running.