Why do we need space when being overtaken?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
UpWrong

Re: Why do we need space when being overtaken?

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks for posting. I'm noticing a lot more damage to roads now, requiring avoiding action too. I've just reported a pothole on FillThatHole.

+1 for recumbent trikes in winter. No fear of ice, snow and wind. I have a Spa Tourer and a Catrike recumbent trike. The Catrike is my weapon of choice for my commute, particularly in winter.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

UpWrong wrote:Thanks for posting. I'm noticing a lot more damage to roads now, requiring avoiding action too. I've just reported a pothole on FillThatHole.

+1 for recumbent trikes in winter. No fear of ice, snow and wind. I have a Spa Tourer and a Catrike recumbent trike. The Catrike is my weapon of choice for my commute, particularly in winter.

My reasons for posting where to provide video footage should anyone need it to convince someone they know that leaving space was good. As a demonstration to others that it doesn't really take much to throw you off (that 'tram line' is nothing more than an imperfection in the tarmac from when it was laid - not even a pothole or repair).
And obviously a demonstration that despite what people may think, I'm not infallible... :wink:

As for potholes; reporting them on FillThatHole would require more time than I've got left. Liverpool is the absolute dogs when it comes to them, there's barely a section of road I use that doesn't have one or more large holes (by large, I mean big enough to damage wheels or throw you off). Every major junction requires you to plot a path through them.
It's a disgrace.
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

kwackers wrote:(Sorry for the lack of preamble, it happened just as the camera had started recording a new clip and I couldn't be bothered editing in the previous one - in fact I need to find a proper editor the one I'm using degrades the video far too much).

Shotcut is a good video editor. It has a steep learning curve, but is free to use. It won't do some of the fancy things comercial editors do, but will produce output with degrading the video if you chose the "YouTube" export.