Why do we need space when being overtaken?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Why do we need space when being overtaken?

Post by kwackers »

Because even on a straight road we might suddenly end up horizontal.

This was yesterday, minor tramline in the road that unfortunately had icy edges.
Nice man stopped to see if I was OK.

(Sorry for the lack of preamble, it happened just as the camera had started recording a new clip and I couldn't be bothered editing in the previous one - in fact I need to find a proper editor the one I'm using degrades the video far too much).

[youtube]MuAJrlGkTNY[/youtube]
foxyrider

Re: Why do we need space when being overtaken?

Post by foxyrider »

You okay?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

foxyrider wrote:You okay?

Oh yeah, I'm fine (should have said that in the original post).

Bruised hip where I banged it and a constant nagging feeling that I should have spotted the hazard...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

kwackers wrote:Bruised hip where I banged it and a constant nagging feeling that I should have spotted the hazard...
Hmmm, know those feelings - mend soon!
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

How's the bike?

Getting studded tyres yet?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:How's the bike?

Getting studded tyres yet?

Bike was fine, pannier on that side provides a nice soft landing, so just a scrape on the peddle and the brake lever. It's a bike I 'use' rather than clean and it's done 30k miles or so, so I'm not precious about it.

Studded tyres; there's a pair in the garage. Every time I fit them there is no ice that year, if I don't fit them then we get ice...
I might try fitting them to a different bike - see if I can 'game the system'.

I've had a good look at the tram line since, it shows up a lot better on the video than it does from head height.
It really is nothing - just a 1/4" dip in the tarmac.
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:Studded tyres; there's a pair in the garage. Every time I fit them there is no ice that year, if I don't fit them then we get ice...
I might try fitting them to a different bike - see if I can 'game the system'.

Sounds like other local people should be paying you to fit them as a public service! ;-)

kwackers wrote:I've had a good look at the tram line since, it shows up a lot better on the video than it does from head height.
It really is nothing - just a 1/4" dip in the tarmac.

I can't even see the metals on the video.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:I can't even see the metals on the video.

In case it's a local colloquialism, tram lines are any line in the tarmac that a bicycle (or motorcycle) wheel can fall into (as well as the obvious 'real' tram lines).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Glad to hear you didn't suffer too badly.
Linear tramline-like gouged,potholes,etc are a PITA for two wheelers especially when wet or icy.
Widening the thread subject slightly,since the "age of austery" got into full swing I'm noticing a lot more of them where lanes of tarmac are laid on dual carriageway and motorways,and I fear for motorcyclists safety,some can be 10cm wide and tens of metres long,quite scary looking.

FWIW a confession,since having my hip replaced last May I've developed a real fear of falling or being knocked off the bike,or walking on icy surfaces.I haven't ridden all winter as a result and at times wonder if I'll return to riding at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
climo

Post by climo »

reohn2 wrote:Glad to hear you didn't suffer too badly.
Linear tramline-like gouged,potholes,etc are a PITA for two wheelers especially when wet or icy.
Widening the thread subject slightly,since the "age of austery" got into full swing I'm noticing a lot more of them where lanes of tarmac are laid on dual carriageway and motorways,and I fear for motorcyclists safety,some can be 10cm wide and tens of metres long,quite scary looking.

FWIW a confession,since having my hip replaced last May I've developed a real fear of falling or being knocked off the bike,or walking on icy surfaces.I haven't ridden all winter as a result and at times wonder if I'll return to riding at all.

I'm also afraid of falling due to poor balance so I bought a recumbent trike. Problem solved. The best thing I'd done for years.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thank goodness the car avoided you. Another one might not have done. Four weeks on I’m still nursing a “duck egg” on my shin where I did acrobatics on black ice and the frame or saddle smacked into my leg (bloodied elbow was soon better). I slid towards a lorry passing the other way at that precise moment, could have been very nasty. Just a couple of weeks previously I’d skidded on black ice and managed to get my foot to the ground without falling, but only at the cost of wrenching my back (and I was on my way to a physio appt at the time :( ). My remedy is not to ride in such conditions again.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

climo wrote:I'm also afraid of falling due to poor balance so I bought a recumbent trike. Problem solved. The best thing I'd done for years.

Yes,the thought had crossed my mind but I'm not convinced about trikes or 'bent TBH,perhaps if a had a day's ride on one it may change my mind.
Presently I'm sitting the long drawn out wet winter out before making any decisions I may regret later :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

My tuppenceworth(s):

1. kwackers - glad you're OK
2. "Tramlines": alyrpal had a similar accident and it has made me more alert - so thanks for sharing.
3. Studded tyres: I put one on the front wheel of my bike the other day (see Sheldon Brown :) ) and felt the better for it - really no loss in performance. Although there was no ice (that I could see), the gritters were out so why not? But yes, put them on and hey, presto - no ice! Note: QR wheel ready so just a two minute pit-stop.
4. Recumbent trikes (this is for reohn2): magic - I had a try out last year. I can't have one for practical reasons but if it means that or not cycling then get one - they are amazing and it takes away that fear of falling.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Upright trikes have the same issue with "tram lining" due to the high centre of gravity. A section near me has caused me some anxious moments. An extreme example is at the start of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k-o2-1IA4A
horizon

Post by horizon »

Here's something a bit more stable (and electric!!) for reohn2 :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--JGQhvvlo
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher