Punctured after 43,208 blissfully airtight miles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
deliquium

Punctured after 43,208 blissfully airtight miles

Post by deliquium »

Fortunately discovered whilst wheeling a bike out of the bike shed this morning. Very small slit in the centre of a rear moderately worn Randonneur Pro tyre tread, the actual culprit not in evidence.

The mileage, spread over several bikes was covered on either Vittoria Randonneur Pros (mostly and my fave ever tyre, sadly discontinued but have a few saved) in both 700C and 26" + Continental SportContact II in 700C, 26" and 20" versions.

I opened 3 (previously used) Rema Tip Top puncture repair kits before I found one with the glue still usable and a patch whose foil didn't lift off without peeling the actual patch with it :roll:

Time to bin the 6 bikes' worth of aging puncture repair kits and restock with new. CRC are doing Rema Tip Top Touring 002 @ £2 each at the moment :)

ps: yes I do always carry a new spare inner tube in case of glue or patch failure out 'on the road'
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Cyril Haearn

Re: Punctured after 43,208 blissfully airtight miles

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1
What is your secret, do you check the tyres after every ride, do you use high pressures or what?
My last p******e was about 2 000 miles ago
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Those North Wales roads are cleeeaaannnnn :)
A tip when using rubber solution tubes,after using squeeze the tube until you have a blob of glue on the nozzle then replace the top over the glue blob,an air left in the tube disolves the glue,since being informed of this tip by Si (I think)of this parish some years ago I havent had any problems :D
When the patch has been applied to the tube,fold the tube in the middle of the patch and the cellophane breaks where it's perforated in two,then peel it off from the middle out to the edges :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is your secret, do you check the tyres after every ride, do you use high pressures or what?

No secret. Never check tyres after any ride. Pressures are checked regularly and certainly NOT high - comfort is the goal.

See reohn2 below for a possible explaNation ;)

reohn2 wrote:Those North Wales roads are cleeeaaannnnn :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Don't suppose you have any favourite numbers do you, about 6 of them between 1 and say 59? :wink:
rjb

Post by rjb »

My trick with rubber solution is to open the other end of the tube by unfolding the folded end and refolding when finished. I think this also excludes air from getting in to the tube. A tip picked up from another poster on this forum. :wink: and you don't have to worry about loosing the screw cap :lol:
Don't they trim the hedges in Wales, and where are the yoofs who throw their empties in the road. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Some of the roads in North Wales may be clean, but the wiggly waggly lanes can be covered in mud at this time of year and there were shedloads of broken glass on the cycle path along the River Clwyd yesterday. It looked as if some youths had had a boozing session on a bench then smashed every bottle to smithereens on the cycle path. Luckily a dog walker warned me about it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

deliquium wrote:Fortunately discovered whilst wheeling a bike out of the bike shed this morning. Very small slit in the centre of a rear moderately worn Randonneur Pro tyre tread, the actual culprit not in evidence.

The mileage, spread over several bikes was covered on either Vittoria Randonneur Pros (mostly and my fave ever tyre, sadly discontinued but have a few saved) in both 700C and 26" + Continental SportContact II in 700C, 26" and 20" versions.

I opened 3 (previously used) Rema Tip Top puncture repair kits before I found one with the glue still usable and a patch whose foil didn't lift off without peeling the actual patch with it :roll:

Time to bin the 6 bikes' worth of aging puncture repair kits and restock with new. CRC are doing Rema Tip Top Touring 002 @ £2 each at the moment :)

ps: yes I do always carry a new spare inner tube in case of glue or patch failure out 'on the road'

clearly the puncture pixies has been asleep on the job.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

What state are your spare inner-tubes in?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Postboxer wrote:What state are your spare inner-tubes in?

Unwrapped from their clingfilm and inflated every now and then when I think about it

rjb wrote:Don't they trim the hedges in Wales, and where are the yoofs who throw their empties in the road. :mrgreen:

Up here in the mountains there aren't any hedges, it's all stone walls. Possibly the bottle throwing yoofs are too lazy to leave town and venture into the dark scary hills?

My last puncture, all those miles ago was possibly an intentional smashed glass shard on a cycle path near town :(

This Vittoria Randonneur Pro spent its entire life without deflation . . .

Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
See reohn2 below for a possible explaNation ;)

reohn2 wrote:Those North Wales roads are cleeeaaannnnn :)

It is noticeable,in the hill country of North Wales there's very little in the way of arable farming as it's mostly sheep farming,so roads don't get the dose of mud off farm machinery except the odd 4x4 or quad exiting the fields.
What's also noticeable is the lack of general litter,and other than the odd washout here and there after heavy rain it's a clean road environment and beautiful area of the country.
I sometimes finding myself envying where Deliquium lives :wink:
That said we can be in North Wales in an hour from our abode and we take the caravan there at various times throughout the the year so I shouldn't be peevish :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Gogledd Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ellieb