Surrey Hills

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Surrey Hills

Post by ianrobo »

Always been a bit skeptical of what people say about these but rode it today and it was FANTASTIC

https://www.strava.com/activities/1411779280/analysis

OK of course the weather was great so a lot were out and it was great to see and the car drivers, no issue apart from one idiot !

But it is great to ride there but the road surfaces compared to Wales and other areas are shocking, I know money is tight for the council but the guys I was riding with says it has been like that for years.

So yes I would recommend anyone to ride there regardless of skill levels !
Last edited by ianrobo on 18 Feb 2018, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeF

Re: Surrey Hills

Post by MikeF »

Good road surfaces in Surrey are a rare thing - I can think of 2! Some are impassable on foot let alone a cycle, but Surrey CC refuses to/wont repair them. As you note some are horrendous.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

The likes of Box hill and the route on ride longan is fine but get off these and it is pot hole hell ....

What does Surrey officially say (of course noting they had to be bailed out because of the massive social care bill for that council as the population grows much older than mean) ?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

https://www.relive.cc/view/1411858990

I did this on Saturday ( ignore the bit that was recorded on the train home ). Most of the popular Surrey Hills routes used by cyclists are ‘Challenging’ for most leisure cyclists. Then there’s White Down Lane. Whoever decided to put a road straight up the middle of that hill, like that, needs someone to have a word. I usually do this route, but without White Down Lane in it, on a bike with a 53-39 Chainset, and 11-28 cassette, and it’s about right. It was a very bad choice for that particular road. :lol:.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

It was a gorgeous day eh !!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: Most of the popular Surrey Hills routes used by cyclists are ‘Challenging’ for most leisure cyclists. Then there’s White Down Lane. Whoever decided to put a road straight up the middle of that hill, like that, needs someone to have a word. .

Ouch. I am afraid that hill is always get-off-and-walk before I topple over.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

this makes Whitedown look easy but I have been up some brutes in the UK (not Lake District ones) and this was as hard as any of them and I had low gearing on !
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 14.29.32.gif
Marcus Aurelius

ianrobo wrote:this makes Whitedown look easy but I have been up some brutes in the UK (not Lake District ones) and this was as hard as any of them and I had low gearing on !

That is White down Lane, now you know what I mean. :lol:
Marcus Aurelius

ianrobo wrote:It was a gorgeous day eh !!

Yep, it certainly was.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
ianrobo wrote:this makes Whitedown look easy but I have been up some brutes in the UK (not Lake District ones) and this was as hard as any of them and I had low gearing on !

not many I look up and think that looks a stopper !!

and then does not help as a local club (clearly some very good riders) breeze past chatting and there is me at max !
Marcus Aurelius

ianrobo wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

not many I look up and think that looks a stopper !!

and then does not help as a local club (clearly some very good riders) breeze past chatting and there is me at max !

I had some local clubbies trying heroics on the bit before the hairpin, funnily enough, they went quiet on the following bit :lol:
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

luckily the guys I were with warned me about this one