road surfaces after the winter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mig

road surfaces after the winter

Post by mig »

after three months off the bike my return last week witnessed a really noticeable deterioration of the road surfaces over winter in and around my local area (manchester.) huge patches of broken tarmac and large potholes. the roads seem to have fallen apart this winter and it hasn't been that frosty & cold, more wet.

is this a trend country wide?
Roadster

Re: road surfaces after the winter

Post by Roadster »

It's certainly the case where I am - I've lived here for 40 years and never seen the roads in such a bad state as they are at present. Judging from BBC news features, this situation is by no means untypical of the whole region nor indeed of the whole country. At this rate, all bikes will have to be suitable for "off-road" use because there won't be any properly maintained road left to ride on!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yep same where ever you go IME
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cheap and cheerful maintenance the last couple of years?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I ride a lot in North Derbyshire - last year they spent a considerable amount of time and money tar and gritting the counties roads. Almost every metre of such treated road has now lost its 'finish' making the roads considerably worse than they were before - they now have piies of chippings as well as potholes and a terrible corrugated surface!

The same has happened in Notts where they put in 'anti skid' surfaces - horrible corrugations and a more dangerous surface than the original.

The least affected roads are those with 'old' surfaces that haven't had 'retrofit' treatments.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mig

Post by mig »

foxyrider wrote:I ride a lot in North Derbyshire - last year they spent a considerable amount of time and money tar and gritting the counties roads. Almost every metre of such treated road has now lost its 'finish' making the roads considerably worse than they were before - they now have piies of chippings as well as potholes and a terrible corrugated surface!

The same has happened in Notts where they put in 'anti skid' surfaces - horrible corrugations and a more dangerous surface than the original.

The least affected roads are those with 'old' surfaces that haven't had 'retrofit' treatments.

you have a large handful of tiny gears right? :wink:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by Paulatic »

NUKe wrote:https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/
run by Cycling UK

Note they say that an update for Ios7 will be out shortly :lol: :lol: :lol: ...that’s nearly 5 yrs ago!

I wonder why they don’t take it down and link to https://www.fixmystreet.com ?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mig wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I ride a lot in North Derbyshire - last year they spent a considerable amount of time and money tar and gritting the counties roads. Almost every metre of such treated road has now lost its 'finish' making the roads considerably worse than they were before - they now have piies of chippings as well as potholes and a terrible corrugated surface!

I've got 34x27 :lol: is that low enough?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bowlander

Post by Bowlander »

mig wrote:after three months off the bike my return last week witnessed a really noticeable deterioration of the road surfaces over winter in and around my local area (manchester.) huge patches of broken tarmac and large potholes. the roads seem to have fallen apart this winter and it hasn't been that frosty & cold, more wet.

is this a trend country wide?
The roads are blooming awful around here in Bowland. Ice has trashed them. The council are fixing the worst ones rapidly, but leaving the lesser ones.

Pretty hard going on the bike.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-A500FU using hovercraft full of eels.
mig

Post by mig »

foxyrider wrote:
mig wrote:

I've got 34x27 :lol: is that low enough?

hopefully!

i rode from manchester to belper one hot summer's day using 53/39 and something like a 12-21 cassette. now i was on a diet on a good few miles per week back then but.....STREWTH!!!
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

After nearly thirty years of driving with zero punctures (and at one stage I was doing 24,000 miles a year), in the last 5,000 miles I've had two tyres killed by potholes.

On the bike, I've been lucky - so far. But a pothole severe enough to kill a car tyre is going to do serious damage to a cyclist and his bike.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

It's almost as if the rock salt destroys the roads :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mig

Post by mig »

Spinners wrote:It's almost as if the rock salt destroys the roads :wink:

that's my point though. there has been only a minimal amount here this year. plenty of water, not much snow and frost. but the roads are wrecked.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mig wrote:
Spinners wrote:It's almost as if the rock salt destroys the roads :wink:

that's my point though. there has been only a minimal amount here this year. plenty of water, not much snow and frost. but the roads are wrecked.

Apparently it's the constant freeze/thaw cycle that does the damage rather than the salt. Once the surface is damaged the melt water then washes out the debris and hey presto a pothole appears, literally in hours.

We've had this cycle going on since November in these parts.