road surfaces after the winter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: road surfaces after the winter

Post by thirdcrank »

With apologies for total thread drift. I read this and saw "Pothole murder.............."

Porthole murder: Did Gay Gibson die from natural causes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-43478495

(To save following the link, it's a trailer for a BBC programme, dressed up as a news item.)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Whaddaya mean, "after" the winter? :(
Have we got time for another cuppa?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

More BBC reporting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43407167
About 37,000 kilometres (22,990 miles) across England, Wales and Scotland fell below top standard in surveys carried out on behalf of the Department for Transport.

The RAC said the road network had suffered from years of underinvestment

And another injured cyclist :(
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Unfortunately a club mate and friend of mine came off this week on an evening ride after hitting a pothole, if you can call it that... Photos taken in daylight with a measuring tape have confirmed it was whopper, 90cm across and 13cm deep! It was dark and filled with water and was right next to a drain cover so in attempting to avoid the drain cover she didn't even realise there was a hole as the (black) water was doing a very good job of looking like wet tarmac at the time.

Her bike is in the shop being assessed and she's due back at the hospital next week to decide on the best course of action for re-attaching her collarbone to her shoulder, not going to be a quick recovery :-(

Be careful out there everyone.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I was out in the Surrey Hills yesterday. I rode from Woking, out into the Hills at Newlands Corner, Leith Hill, Whitedown Lane, Ranmore Common, Box Hill, and back to Woking. Some of the pot holes on that route ( particularly towards Send / West Clandon, and on the return around Brooklands / Old Woking) we’re beyond belief, you’d have needed a rope and crampons to get out, if you’d hit some of them. Still, the councils had spray painted around them, so that’s okay :roll: