A police positive

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

A police positive

Post by Grandad »

ChrisButch

Re: A police positive

Post by ChrisButch »

Another recent 'police positive' was the announcement last week by the newly-appointed Chief Constable of South Wales Police that he intends to commute to work by bike. An example of a 'trickle-up' effect? What was once despised as a form of transport only fit for the impoverished working man became socially acceptable first for prosperous young professionals and now - perhaps as these same young professionals climb the tree - acceptable even for the most senior. And since attitudes to cycling from within professions such as the police, judiciary and the law, highway engineers etc are always going to be more effective in producing change than pressure brought on those professions from outside, that can't be a bad thing.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I wouldn't have described Ernest Marples as impoverished.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Well done the police. It just needs councillors to listen!
It's not just that the cycle lanes can be potholed, but often they are too narrow or have débris in them. I find on this part of the A25 the lane isn't wide enough for travelling at 25-30mph and I stay outside it. (It's a bit wider than it appears on streetview). Also note how wide the centre cross hatchings are so that all those well protected cars don't collide. Maybe one benefit of the cycle markings might be to remind drivers that cyclists also use the roads?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ChrisButch wrote:Another recent 'police positive' was the announcement last week by the newly-appointed Chief Constable of South Wales Police that he intends to commute to work by bike. An example of a 'trickle-up' effect? What was once despised as a form of transport only fit for the impoverished working man became socially acceptable first for prosperous young professionals and now - perhaps as these same young professionals climb the tree - acceptable even for the most senior. And since attitudes to cycling from within professions such as the police, judiciary and the law, highway engineers etc are always going to be more effective in producing change than pressure brought on those professions from outside, that can't be a bad thing.

+1, newyddion da o Gymru
How far will he ride, is it hilly, does he have an e-bike?
Nearly forgot to ask: will he wear a h****t? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

a flash in the pan...once the hype fizzles out so will the money and with the police at an all time low in regards to finances and morale they divert resources to dealing with the off spring from the audience of the Jeremy Kyle show once again !!