Two inches of snow didn't put off many cyclists in central London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LinusR

Two inches of snow didn't put off many cyclists in central London

Post by LinusR »

Despite the lack of grit on the road and freezing conditions many cyclists managed to stay upright on their commute this morning into central London. Cyclists were leading the way on Tottenham Court Road, Torrington Place and Goodge Street.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24FYpSC]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23oDT3R]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21ZM5wu]Image

I saw only one rider take a tumble and I was surprised to see how many seemed to have better traction on the road than many motor vehicles.
Postboxer

Re: Two inches of snow didn't put off many cyclists in central London

Post by Postboxer »

I managed 20 miles yesterday as trying to hit 100 miles a month, waited til after lunch when snow mainly gone from roads then stuck to main roads. Although a blizzard started as soon as I set off, the roads were clear of ice and were even dry in some places in the sun. I wouldn't have fancied conditions like in the pictures above though, too slippy and you never know where the next extra slippy patch is.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Postboxer wrote:I managed 20 miles yesterday as trying to hit 100 miles a month, waited til after lunch when snow mainly gone from roads then stuck to main roads. Although a blizzard started as soon as I set off, the roads were clear of ice and were even dry in some places in the sun. I wouldn't have fancied conditions like in the pictures above though, too slippy and you never know where the next extra slippy patch is.

You are far braver than me. I really suffer in the cold and have a poor sense of balance and bike handling skills in slippery conditions. I saw one young woman take a tumble on Tottenham Court Road. But she just got up again, dusted herself down and re-mounted and was on her way. Me, I'm on foot and treading carefully and trying to keep the sensation in my fingers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Most precarious bit for my ride was getting off my driveway then don't think I rode on any snow, gritted roads and the morning traffic had melted it all, then it was just the balance of picking a route that would have been gritted and clear and wouldn't be too busy, the forecast of freezing conditions all night and all today meant I thought I'd risk it yesterday rather than today. I would probably benefit from some winter tyres though, on Hypers which are practically slick. Came back along the same roads so a bit boring but I knew what the roads would be like, also slightly downhill on the way home.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The two people on hire bikes seems wise; chunky tyres and if you do take a tumble, somebody else pays for the damage to the bike! :shock:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Think I would have been a bit more wary of those junction areas where there appears to be icy stuff on the roads. but have always enjoyed riding on fresh snow... that is the easiest to ride on.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

This a photo from lunchtime today: Goodge Street (A5204) near the junction with Charlotte Street in central London. Despite it being a main road it is not on the gritting priority route.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23F8mzy]Image
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The two people on hire bikes seems wise; chunky tyres and if you do take a tumble, somebody else pays for the damage to the bike! :shock:

Not necessarily: the hire terms say users agree to pay up to £300 towards damage to the bike.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I suppose the weather was too bad for the gritters to be out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Audax67 wrote:I suppose the weather was too bad for the gritters to be out.

wrong kind of snow!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

This year I took a brush along, stuffed into a bottle cage. Useful for unclogging the bike (doesn't help that I'm using close mudguards).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm not of an age where I want to fall of bikes, but I have noticed that bikes can be surprisingly stable in conditions that look slippery if ridden with care.
A young lad was cycling down our road today (1 in 10? hill) using the back brake periodically to slow and of course sliding on the ice, but he stayed upright. Some motor vehicles could not climb the hill.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Doesn't look like it's two inches of snow the cyclists are riding through. More like slush, or compacted snow.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

snowing AGAIN in streatham london
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

De Sisti wrote:Doesn't look like it's two inches of snow the cyclists are riding through. More like slush, or compacted snow.

well for pansy Londoners it is "2" inches :lol: :wink: