Two inches of snow didn't put off many cyclists in central London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Two inches of snow didn't put off many cyclists in central London

Post by horizon »

LinusR wrote:Despite the lack of grit on the road and freezing conditions many cyclists managed to stay upright on their commute this morning into central London.

I saw only one rider take a tumble and I was surprised to see how many seemed to have better traction on the road than many motor vehicles.

It baffles me that people don't use studded tyres.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mercalia wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Doesn't look like it's two inches of snow the cyclists are riding through. More like slush, or compacted snow.

well for pansy Londoners it is "2" inches :lol: :wink:

:lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

horizon wrote:
LinusR wrote:Despite the lack of grit on the road and freezing conditions many cyclists managed to stay upright on their commute this morning into central London.

I saw only one rider take a tumble and I was surprised to see how many seemed to have better traction on the road than many motor vehicles.

It baffles me that people don't use studded tyres.
The reason maybe because lying snow of any kind is rare in central London.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
horizon

Post by horizon »

MikeF wrote:
horizon wrote:It baffles me that people don't use studded tyres.

That's true (and and you can add expensive to that and the need for spare wheels) but there have been several "offs" reported on the forum recently due to ice. And that can be a bit of ice around a corner on a frosty morning - that's several days per winter, not just in severe spells like the current one.

Studded tyres aren't culturally normal in the UK (and more obviously in London) but I wonder if more people would get and use them if they knew more about them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

horizon wrote:
MikeF wrote:
horizon wrote:It baffles me that people don't use studded tyres.

That's true (and and you can add expensive to that and the need for spare wheels) but there have been several "offs" reported on the forum recently due to ice. And that can be a bit of ice around a corner on a frosty morning - that's several days per winter, not just in severe spells like the current one.

Studded tyres aren't culturally normal in the UK (and more obviously in London) but I wonder if more people would get and use them if they knew more about them.

The problem is, that they do cost a lot, and it doesn’t take long for them to get badly damaged if you ride on unaffected tarmac, which will probably be a vast majority of most rides in the U.K. Cost vs benefit, doesn’t stack up for most people.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One needs them so rarely, in some winters not at all
The rubber would probably perish before the tread is worn out
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One needs them so rarely, in some winters not at all

I think that's the issue,not only that but riding on snow,especially compacted or icy roads,shared with motor traffic my worst fear is being hit by out of control cars driven by idiots,without appreciation of conditions or going down in front of one,only for the driver not used to such conditions to panic,hit the brakes and skid into me.
I witnessed a typical example of driver idiocy a couple of days ago on a wet potentially icy motorway in sub zero temps where almost all traffic was reduced to sub 60mph,to be overtaken by a Golfalike who was doing 75mph+ and if that wasn't bad enough his nearside front wheel was a spacesaver emergency spare wheel which are rated at 50mph max :shock: .
There's no accounting for loonies and there's more than the fair share of them driving cars.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The London commuters may also be pressed for space in their tiny London flats for storage of extra bike parts.

My brother fell off in the snow/ice a few years ago, after skidding along for a bit he thought 'that was lucky' then looked up to see a van's bumper, a few feet from his head, that had only just managed to stop in time. The rest of the van was there too!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When driving on snowy slippery roads near people one should go dead slow
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Fun i had last week
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

CyberKnight wrote:Fun i had last week , note not my piccie as i dont take photos when driving, screen grab from someone else on facefluff using the same road
Last edited by CyberKnight on 7 Mar 2018, 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
horizon wrote:Studded tyres aren't culturally normal in the UK (and more obviously in London) but I wonder if more people would get and use them if they knew more about them.

The problem is, that they do cost a lot, and it doesn’t take long for them to get badly damaged if you ride on unaffected tarmac, which will probably be a vast majority of most rides in the U.K. Cost vs benefit, doesn’t stack up for most people.

Really? What cost are you attaching to the various ice crash injuries?

And I doubt the "it doesn’t take long for them to get badly damaged if you ride on unaffected tarmac" - I suspect Schwalbe's Winter compound on cold roads doesn't wear out much more quickly than SBC or Endurance does on hot summer roads, and more slowly than Speedgrip does. The studded tyres were similar price to Marathon, cheaper than M+ or One, and I expect them to last maybe three winters.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The snow didn't stop me atall. When it first hit Bristol I was in work with 25c tyres on my bike, I left work 2 hours early and rode the 10 miles home carefully and slowly taking over an hour to complete the ride. Cars were overtaking me but I wasn't the slowest on the road, that honour went to a large motorbike I passed as the rider was virtually walking home astride his machine at 4mph as I rode past him at 10mph with much narrower tyres but more control on the power available at the rear wheel. I did put the bike on the tarmac twice but that was on a quiet road where the snow hadn't been driven on and this was within 100 yards of home. The following 2 days I was riding on 38c studded tyres but no mudguards.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One needs them so rarely, in some winters not at all

Again, that’s a good point.