Snow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cosmicbike

Re: Snow

Post by Cosmicbike »

horizon wrote:
Cosmicbike wrote: I'm lucky enough to have a van available so rather than risk the ice on regular tyres opted to drive.

I'm at a loss to understand how people can consider it safe to drive when ice prevents them cycling.

Why would I risk riding on ice without suitable tyres? It's nothing to do with snow, and everything to do with ICE. Normal for me to take the van when it's sub zero temperatures and there's a risk of ice. I can't afford to have a silly off just for the sake of saying I cycled to work, simply not worth it IMHO.
I'll be driving to work in the morning too. Sunday will be back on 2 wheels if the forecast is correct, once all the ice is gone...
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Special edition of Winterwatch last night included a 45 minute documentary made in 1963 about the Big Freeze of that year.

Not available on the normal catchup as it was a change from the advertised programme but is on the BBC website here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/winterwatch-1963-the-big-freeze.

We lived in Wolverhampton then and didn't get the worst of the weather but even the main roads were covered in packed down snow and ice for most of the 2 months. I commuted 5 miles on the trike and did enough weekend miles on it to ride a 25 on 3rd March, the first ice free weekend.

We have a photo of pushing the pram on the frozen local canal.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

cycleruk wrote:What snow ?
what snow (Medium).JPG
None-zilch. We had a flurry Tuesday morning and gone by afternoon.

Waterfall on fishpond still flowing (just) and temperatures down to -5C at night.
DSC_0162 (Small).JPG

Too cold for me to ride. Can end up with a persistent cough that takes a couple of weeks to go away if I'm not careful.
I was given a "Hi-Vis Chute" as a Christmas present. Yes, I didn't know what it was until I was told. :roll: I wear it around my neck (like a tubular scarf). I've found it's made a great deal of difference to keeping me warm, and I think because my neck is warm, the air going to my lungs is preheated.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

MikeF wrote:
cycleruk wrote:What snow ?
Too cold for me to ride. Can end up with a persistent cough that takes a couple of weeks to go away if I'm not careful.
I was given a "Hi-Vis Chute" as a Christmas present. Yes, I didn't know what it was until I was told. :roll: I wear it around my neck (like a tubular scarf). I've found it's made a great deal of difference to keeping me warm, and I think because my neck is warm, the air going to my lungs is preheated.

Hi' I have a "tube" (or what ever they are called.) so will give it a try. Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cosmicbike wrote: Normal for me to take the van when it's sub zero temperatures and there's a risk of ice.

This is the bit I queried.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Good to see the fatties out there having fun. Some great surfaces revealed this week but a hidden event was the high tides and east wind which has caused a change round on East Lothian’s beaches.

Funny to see comments about a cyclist being stupid because he was wading through nearly a metre of snow in order to get around a stuck car.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All gone here.
Rain overnight and 5degC now.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We had another dusting of snow overnight but main roads are clear and there seems to be a slow thaw going on. Just been out in the car and the temp was -0.5 C.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

horizon wrote:
Cosmicbike wrote: I'm lucky enough to have a van available so rather than risk the ice on regular tyres opted to drive.

I'm at a loss to understand how people can consider it safe to drive when ice prevents them cycling.

Driving is generally on 4 wheels whereas cycling is generally on 2. So you can't "fall off" your car, like you can on a bike. Also the tyres are much wider on a car, giving a bit more grip.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
horizon

Post by horizon »

TrevA wrote:
Driving is generally on 4 wheels whereas cycling is generally on 2. So you can't "fall off" your car, like you can on a bike. Also the tyres are much wider on a car, giving a bit more grip.

I didn't mean one's own safety, I meant the safety of those you might skid into in a car, despite the extra grip. Rhyl and Looe are two names that come to mind.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Still a little around but it's going fast. Clear sunny day with hardly any wind and temperature 3.7C in shade . Hope it doesn't freeze tonight.
North Downs aren't visible so it looks like some areas have fog.
I don't peddle bikes.
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

Re.Car tyre's have more grip.
In most cases it is the reverse,in snow narrow tyre's have more grip.
Modern cars have such wide tyre's that they are vertically useless in snow.
Look at modern rally cars,when they are on snow/ice they run tyre's something like half the width that they would use on tarmac.
Years ago late sixty's i use to mess about in an old Ford Anglia with 165 x 70 x 13" wheels,a friend had an equally old Austin A35 with standard wheels and tyers,one night we had a heavy snow storm so we went for play around the local(deserted)bus station.(Spalding. Lincs.)Very flat no hills.
Most of my mates were running with wide wheels and tyers.We were going all over the place could not keep going in a straight line and going around the islands the rear end was steeping out with little encouragement.
Friend in Austin A35 just kept going.Nuff said!
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I cycled to work in Burton last night (in the bar at The Coopers Tavern), we closed at ten and I cycled home into the fierce easterly wind and drifting snow. Great fun....
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't peddle bikes.
Username

Post by Username »

Mick F wrote:All gone here.
Rain overnight and 5degC now.

Summer at last!