Snow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Snow

Post by thirdcrank »

Our next-door neighbours have a dog which I think is a Finnish Lapphund: very thick and long white fur. She always seems unhappy in warmer weather, which given her coat and what I presume is her natural habitat is not surprising, but she's in her element now, camouflaged against the snow and charging about like a puppy, even though she's now quite old, especially in dog years.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

What snow ?
what snow (Medium).JPG

None-zilch. We had a flurry Tuesday morning and gone by afternoon.

Waterfall on fishpond still flowing (just) and temperatures down to -5C at night.
DSC_0162 (Small).JPG

Too cold for me to ride. Can end up with a persistent cough that takes a couple of weeks to go away if I'm not careful.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Giles Pargiter

Re: Todays commute.

Post by Giles Pargiter »

You are absolutely right Cyril Haearn. Are you anywhere nearby? I sometimes have a lot of "doings" in the Eryri area and consequently commute to there from here not infrequently - usually in the warmer months.

Has to be said today if I had to go anywhere - which I don't - I would weigh up shanks pony or take a bike, thing is the more heavily used roads are (mostly) pretty easy to cycle but you have to get to them first.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Parallel thread alert but otherwsie great stuff Giles:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120418
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

horizon wrote:Parallel thread alert but otherwsie great stuff Giles:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120418

Sorry Horizon, did'nt realise. What happens about that then?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Giles Pargiter wrote:You are absolutely right Cyril Haearn. Are you anywhere nearby? I sometimes have a lot of "doings" in the Eryri area and consequently commute to there from here not infrequently - usually in the warmer months.

Has to be said today if I had to go anywhere - which I don't - I would weigh up shanks pony or take a bike, thing is the more heavily used roads are (mostly) pretty easy to cycle but you have to get to them first.

I live in Luebeck Germany now, I lived in Llandrindod many years ago
I describe myself as half Welsh, half German & half English (in that order) :wink:
I am fluent in German but not in Welsh yet

I even remember winter 1981-82 in Wales..

Welsh saying:
Llyfr gorau, cof
The best book: ones memories
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Giles Pargiter wrote:What happens about that then?

Somebody may alert the mods and request that the threads are merged. In fact, it's already been done.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

From BBC News.

You need to spend more than a penny to clear the streets
Urea, the colourless compound in urine, has been used to de-ice pavements in a town centre.

Reading Borough Council said its Highways Team was "well stocked" with urea in advance of heavy snowfall.

The council told the BBC the team had been out using the crystalline compound this morning, but admitted it hadn't worked as well as grit and salt due to the subzero temperatures.

To clarify, the urea used is created in laboratories, not lavatories.

NOTE: We do not recommend people use their own urea to de-ice their streets!
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:From BBC News.

Urea, the colourless compound in urine, has been used to de-ice pavements in a town centre.

Reading Borough Council said its Highways Team was "well stocked" with urea in advance of heavy snowfall.

The council told the BBC the team had been out using the crystalline compound this morning, but admitted it hadn't worked as well as grit and salt due to the subzero temperatures.

Back in the day we used urea pills to de ice the runways, when that was overwhelmed it was the MRD .....
MRD'S where 2 ex aircraft jet engines mounted on a steel fabrication side by side with an unfortunate operator sat in a cab in-between them fixed to the front of an F-34 Avtur bowser .....The ice and snow where blasted away by the jet efflux
And the operator was often in a state of constant fear !!!! ......... :shock:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Just seen a huge snow plough, on the WCML, on the down line from Carlisle. Looks to me trains will be running again in the morning. The snow has gone a bit softer and isn’t blowing as easily.
I ventured out for a walk this afternoon and some lanes are blown in depending on orientation. Too deep for a plough so will need diggers unless it thaws.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

I'll admit to not commuting to work this week, the first time in a long time. I'm lucky enough to have a van available so rather than risk the ice on regular tyres opted to drive.
I have been cycling though, these conditions are ideal for the recumbent trike, and there is some great scenery out there
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cosmicbike wrote: I'm lucky enough to have a van available so rather than risk the ice on regular tyres opted to drive.

I'm at a loss to understand how people can consider it safe to drive when ice prevents them cycling.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:From BBC News.

Obviously a Yellow snow warning :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

horizon wrote:
Cosmicbike wrote: I'm lucky enough to have a van available so rather than risk the ice on regular tyres opted to drive.

I'm at a loss to understand how people can consider it safe to drive when ice prevents them cycling.

Someone at work asked on Wednesday if I was going to drive on Thursday due to the weather forecast. My response was if I couldn't cycle in with studded tyres I wasn't going to try and drive for mine and everyone else's safety.