Yellow roads and black numbers.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Yellow roads and black numbers.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If that's an online map, you have to zoom in............something like that.........apparently its a glitch.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The map is wrong ............ but that's not unusual, I suppose.

The spot height isn't next to the place of worship, but maybe 50yds further down the hill. I saw it only a week ago walking home down Chapel St.

It's actually here. Nice big black blob to show. :D
Gunnislake 1-25k spot height.png
Gunnislake 1-25k spot height.png (171.54 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Map nerds, dontcha just luv em! :wink:

Keeps them off the railway stations I suppose!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Map nerds, dontcha just luv em! :wink:

Keeps them off the railway stations I suppose!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
But what does that make us even sadderos that are just enjoying listening in?! [emoji23]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
crabbit wrote:Can someone help? When looking at OS maps there are black numbers at regular intervals alongside yellow roads. Are these altitude indicators for the roads height at that point?

Yes - these are "spot heights" (and indeed you'll see a little black spot on the road, if you look closely).

I originally thought they were potholes, but as the new maps don't have any more than the old ones, obviously not the case. :lol:

Incidentally, when we were cycling in the Cirencester area, specifically roads over towards Bibury and Burford, I kept noticing metal discs in the tarmac at the side of the roads. I couldn't establish if they were equidistant from one another, so not sure if they were a measurement indicator.
Can someone please enlighten me?

fausto.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Boy I am glad I looked in this evening.
Now I know something that I didn't even know I didn't know.
You know?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

fausto copy wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:
crabbit wrote:Can someone help? When looking at OS maps there are black numbers at regular intervals alongside yellow roads. Are these altitude indicators for the roads height at that point?

Yes - these are "spot heights" (and indeed you'll see a little black spot on the road, if you look closely).

I originally thought they were potholes, but as the new maps don't have any more than the old ones, obviously not the case. :lol:

Incidentally, when we were cycling in the Cirencester area, specifically roads over towards Bibury and Burford, I kept noticing metal discs in the tarmac at the side of the roads. I couldn't establish if they were equidistant from one another, so not sure if they were a measurement indicator.
Can someone please enlighten me?

fausto.

They sound like fixed survey points - they may be used to check calibration of EDM's/ Dumpies but not exclusively. There are examples on roads all over the place although they are more common in rural areas - not sure who installs them mind.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Spot heights are fixed points with known heights, closely related to trig points - but, unlike trig points, spot heights aren't necessarily marked on the ground. Putting them in random places makes them hard to locate precisely, so points along roads, footpaths and so on are sensible. High points are also used - not necessarily the absolute top of a hill, but somewhere prominent, since the point is to be able to see it when triangulating. Roads tend to avoid high points, so hjgher spot heights will typically be in open country.

If you use a map with lots of roads, it will appear that all spot heights are alongside roads. If your map shows a more remote area, you'll get them in open country too.
Flite

Post by Flite »

I think spot heights have been accurately determined, and are marked in the terrain by a "bench mark".
Bench Marks are usually carved into buildings and look like an arrow pointing up with a bar on top.
Government property, like prison clothing used to be marked.
We've got a bench mark on our house :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flite wrote:I think spot heights have been accurately determined, and are marked in the terrain by a "bench mark".
Bench Marks are usually carved into buildings and look like an arrow pointing up with a bar on top.
Government property, like prison clothing used to be marked.
We've got a bench mark on our house :D

Are you still im-prisoned by snow? :?
I thought the OS had modernised and no longer used trig points and the like
Triangulation and surveying really are fascinating, I love reading old 1:63 360 maps when I can not concentrate on a book
Heights not surveyed by levelling were shown in italics (how were they surveyed?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
drossall

Post by drossall »

Correct, I believe that the OS don't use them any more. But they are still there.

We started cycling as teenagers by my friend purloining his Dad's set of 1:63360 maps. His Dad was annoyed as he was proud of his complete set of the country, and they didn't benefit from being stuffed in a jersey pocket.

Later I managed to assemble a complete 1:50000 set. Just as digital maps came in and made them irrelevant.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Were there ever people who referred to 1" to a mile as 1:63360?

If ever there was a case of dumbing down it was when the OS decided to start producing maps for people who never paid attention in geography lessons. (I've inserted a new paragraph as these random musings are not connected.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote:Were there ever people who referred to 1" to a mile as 1:63360?

If ever there was a case of dumbing down it was when the OS decided to start producing maps for people who never paid attention in geography lessons. (I've inserted a new paragraph as these random musings are not connected.

When we got maps out at school that was probably the only time they had my full attention. :D
Later in the cadet force we got a map each to play with complete with compass. Happy Days. Also how to find south with your wrist watch.
Now I just get my phone out which is probably more accurate than some f my map reading :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
drossall

Post by drossall »

thirdcrank wrote:Were there ever people who referred to 1" to a mile as 1:63360?

Well there are at least two of us upthread :D Although you're right, I might say 1" to the mile more often.

I came to love maps at Scouts. Before an Audax, I'll look through the whole route on the map. And then still sometimes be vague about where I'm going :roll:
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

drossall wrote:Before an Audax, I'll look through the whole route on the map. And then still sometimes be vague about where I'm going :roll:

Sounds as though you have that perfected to me [emoji6]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.