Hartside cafe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
oldmanonabike

Hartside cafe

Postby oldmanonabike » 6 Mar 2018, 9:33pm

On the C2C route between Penrith and Alston the Hartside cafe has been burnt down
Last edited by oldmanonabike on 6 Mar 2018, 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

Paulatic

Re: Hartside cafe

Postby Paulatic » 6 Mar 2018, 10:08pm

For the second time. :D
There’ll be a lot of bikers homeless this summer but a marvellous opportunity for a fast food van on a Sunday. I was never taken with it and last time I cycled past I did so without stopping. ...there’s a first!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 6 Mar 2018, 10:42pm

Arson or ''electrical fault '' :roll: :roll:

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 6 Mar 2018, 10:44pm

Guess it will depend on cause and how quickly they can re-build. I imagine any 'fast food van' would be run by the owners. Seems a shame, hardly a culinary 'experience' but good basics and always a friendly welcome.... they did an amazing job feeding everyone at the TOB stage finish a few years ago.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 6 Mar 2018, 10:46pm

always found it expensive.....I appreciate it was on top of the hill but they really milked the monopoly

Flite

Postby Flite » 6 Mar 2018, 11:02pm

Considering Hartside had been closed for over a week due to snow, I think electrical fault is more likely than arson.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Mar 2018, 8:05am

Did it have water/mains utilities?
Something similar happened in Malvern, the cafe on the Worcestershire Beacon burnt down. Rebuilding was not allowed!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 Mar 2018, 8:20am

The fire appliances had to follow the snow plough to get there

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 7 Mar 2018, 10:46am

What a shame, not the best but the location is perfect and the food substantial. The whole of the Pennine section of C2C route is still under serious snow.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 7 Mar 2018, 5:46pm

We stopped there for a cuppa/cake in Autumn 2016 on a wet and windy day.They didn't bat an eyelid at two cyclists dripping water all over their floor :mrgreen: I have stopped there numerous times over the years on the Motorbike and don't really get why some folk think it's expensive :?: The cake portions were huge!We actually wrapped half of ours to save for later on in the day!
Hopefully it will return 8)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is the future.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 7 Mar 2018, 8:51pm

I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

And it's not as if the building was attractive; a grotty, half baked cafe stuck in a car park, rather similar to an old fashioned truck stop

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Mar 2018, 8:59pm

gbnz wrote:I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

And it's not as if the building was attractive; a grotty, half baked cafe stuck in a car park, rather similar to an old fashioned truck stop

-1!
Why did you stop, for a picnic? I think I might need a rest after the climb, even from Alston
Do like to read dissenting views :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 7 Mar 2018, 10:05pm

cyclemad wrote:Arson or ''electrical fault '' :roll: :roll:

If it was arson the arsonist must have had a snow plough. The fire was spotted by a gritter driver.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 Mar 2018, 10:11pm

Amazingly gets 4 stars in tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html
I just read the terrible ratings made interesting reading. :D

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 8 Mar 2018, 7:34am

brynpoeth wrote:
gbnz wrote:I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

-1!
Why did you stop, for a picnic? I think I might need a rest after the climb, even from Alstonk:

Well on the 110 mile ride between a walk in the Lakes and home, the blocks of stone on the edge of the car park always made a useful stopping point for a rest and quick bite (And with the attraction of the next twenty miles on a slight downhill gradient)