Hartside cafe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bogmyrtle

Re: Hartside cafe

Post by bogmyrtle »

A lot of the adverse Tripadvisor comments are old. A lot of small seasonal businesses tend to change hands on a frequent basis. How good or bad a food business is at any time is dependent on the people running the business.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bogmyrtle wrote:A lot of the adverse Tripadvisor comments are old. A lot of small seasonal businesses tend to change hands on a frequent basis. How good or bad a food business is at any time is dependent on the people running the business.

I entireley agree. A perfect example I’m aware of is the Glen Cafe beside St Mary’s Loch.
It went from the pits changed hands to the very best. So much so Cycling clubs held the Xmas dinners there. Changed hands again and has progressively fallen into the pits and beyond. Another cafe heavily support by bikers but will be interesting to see if it opens again this year and by whom.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Just tried searching for history of the cafe, I was unde rthe impression it was owned by a family and has been so for quite sometime (might be wrong).... including land around.. hence why it all got used for the hill top finish of the ToB, with all the paraphanalia, and people camping on 'their' ground. Hence why a bit puzzled as to the comments regarding ownership etc.... unless there was criminal activity... I see no reason why the owners would not re-open in time...

Slightly amused / bemused by the comments regarding it not being an attractive building... many buildings high in the Pennines are not especially attractive... they are built to combat severe weather.. regardless of the time of the year... not sure a chocolate box Cotswold style cafe would survive very long up there :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Had to Google that Glen cafe. It reminded me of one u went to in southern Scotland. Turned out to be the same one. Cracking cafe and we were very happy to sit out the last bits of a storm before going on a walk a few miles away. Good food too. Decade ago though.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

eileithyia wrote:Just tried searching for history of the cafe, I was unde rthe impression it was owned by a family and has been so for quite sometime (might be wrong).... including land around.. hence why it all got used for the hill top finish of the ToB, with all the paraphanalia, and people camping on 'their' ground. Hence why a bit puzzled as to the comments regarding ownership etc.... unless there was criminal activity... I see no reason why the owners would not re-open in time...

Slightly amused / bemused by the comments regarding it not being an attractive building... many buildings high in the Pennines are not especially attractive... they are built to combat severe weather.. regardless of the time of the year... not sure a chocolate box Cotswold style cafe would survive very long up there :D

Doesn't matter what the building looks like, one sits inside and looks at the scenery/weather
Indigenous buildings look right, whether of Cotswold Limestone, Millstone Grit or whatever
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

There’s a fund raising event to get them up and running
https://www.facebook.com/events/470203300090092/
I find it strange if they’d no insurance or are perhaps inadequately insured.

E2E info
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Paulatic wrote:There’s a fund raising event to get them up and running

I'm sure I read that this is the second time it's suffered fire damage so maybe they have limited insurance because of this?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Just tried searching for history of the cafe, I was unde rthe impression it was owned by a family and has been so for quite sometime (might be wrong).... including land around.. hence why it all got used for the hill top finish of the ToB, with all the paraphanalia, and people camping on 'their' ground. Hence why a bit puzzled as to the comments regarding ownership etc.... unless there was criminal activity... I see no reason why the owners would not re-open in time...

Doesn't matter what the building looks like, one sits inside and looks at the scenery/weather
Indigenous buildings look right, whether of Cotswold Limestone, Millstone Grit or whatever

Quite agree, a former b/f was upset that i was not ecstatic about the colour of a car we had.... it was secondhand... you take the colour that it is. As my, now partner says, when you are inside it you are not looking at the colour and when it is parked up you are not looking at it anyway. Same with the cafe.... it is functional for where it is.... and not looking at the building when enjoying a brew...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ibbo68 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:There’s a fund raising event to get them up and running

I'm sure I read that this is the second time it's suffered fire damage so maybe they have limited insurance because of this?

Last time was in the 70s if I remember correctly

E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Indigenous buildings look right, whether of Cotswold Limestone, Millstone Grit or whatever

Oh yes, I suppose I could agree that those PVC windows and the litter routinely blowing around in the scrap yard environment surrounding it were gorgeous. And that tacky sign, circa cheap advertising from the early 50's* really set the place up for wistful sighs of appreciation.

I suppose some people tend to appreciate their local environment and go cycling in the dales, lakes, downs, alps et al, linking them with some fantastic bits of "unknown" countryside in between. I've never fancied going cycling around the local council estates, or a tour of the derelict post industrial areas of Britain, though I'm sure some do.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

The owners of the building and land are not necessarily the operators of the food business. A lot of food businesses are leased out to tenants. Anybody can sign a lease or tenancy.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Any update? Has all the snow gone? Are the mad motorcyclists out again?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Posted last week on Twitter. Just a fenced off shell.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SirWilliamD/ ... 28/photo/1

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could be a good informal business opportunity, take a few crates of energy drinks up there are sell to desperately thirsty cyclists who planned to use the cafe €€€!
Or is *perfect knowledge* ubiquitous now?
david7591

Post by david7591 »

There’s a much better cafe at the bottom of the hill in Melmerby