Left or right foot de-cleating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisF

Left or right foot de-cleating?

Post by ChrisF »

If you use cleats or clipped pedals, when you slow down to stop at a junction, do you unclip your left or right foot? I've always used my left foot, but noticed on today's ride that two of our group of 4 de-cleat on the right.
Thinking about it, maybe because I started my cycling in an urban environment there was nearly always a kerb to put my foot on when I had to stop. But I can't see any advantage (in the UK) of removing the right foot from the pedal, unless your left leg is stronger for the subsequent push off.
Any thoughts?
Chris F, Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Re: Left or right foot de-cleating?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I think I favour left too, but one advantage I could see in unclipping the right would be to stop any uncontrolled tumble into the vicinity of motor vehicles, in the UK, I hasten to add.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've always unclipped my right foot and left the left attached but now after 25 years of clipless riding I'm having to relearn the process as my left knee doesn't like the initial thrust when accelerating away from a stop.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Left for me.
It's because the kerb is there, or a bank, or a low wall. I won't unclip if I can lean on a railing/wall/lamp post etc.

I get on from the left too, and also walk with the bike on my right. The left side of a bike is the Get On and Get Off side.
Mick F. Cornwall
jezer

Post by jezer »

I’ve always unclipped my right foot, although on club rides I see most riders doing the opposite. At the moment I have a broken right ankle, so cannot ride anyway. I’ll have to see how flexible it is after healing.
Power to the pedals
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Left. Because I am right handed/right sided I want to lead off with my dominant leg - the right one.
Mick F wrote:I get on from the left too, and also walk with the bike on my right. The left side of a bike is the Get On and Get Off side.
Me too. I am amazed at the number of people who walk with a bike to their left, meaning their leg is closest to the potentially mucky stuff. Probably the same sort who lay bikes on the ground chain side down.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Left as curb is on that side. Pros tend to unclip with the right leg I’ve noticed.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I was taught to get on from the left and it's then only natural to use the left leg as balance. So clip in/out with left. The majority of people I see on the continent do the same, due i'm sure to right leg dominance for setting off.

That said I do unclip the right foot to use the kerb when i'm abroad sometimes - if I then have to dismount I get in a right pickle and setting off is a bit messy too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I realised when I first started cycling in a group that all my club mates put their left foot down when stopping, analysing it I totally got it.. made sense there is usually a kerb to put your foot on.... I had spell where I taught myself to put left foot down.... but it is not a natural instinct from being a child... so have naturally reverted to right foot down.

It probably saved my foot / ankle a few years ago... as it means when coasting to a stop I freewheel with right foot up..... I was doing this when hit from the right side by a right turning car..... the bottom bracket was damaged.... but we believe the bumper had gone under my foot.... if I had had my right foot down it is highly likely that, as well as a smashed shoulder, I would also have had a broken ankle...... now that would have made rehab fun.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

I'm left, Mrs T is right. We've never tried riding a tandem together but I can see this being a problem
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

left always have. Similarly always mount from the left and find it virtually impossible to mount from the right.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

CliveyT wrote:I'm left, Mrs T is right. We've never tried riding a tandem together but I can see this being a problem

Although I rode a tandem once, I was on it by myself!
(at the front, of course!)

If you watch motor-cyclists with pillion passengers at junctions etc, it's only the "pilot" who puts a foot down. The passenger just sits there both feet up.

Is this not the case with tandemists?
Does the stoker not keep both feet on the pedals?
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Left for me. I learnt to ride in Norn Iron. I also prefer a tight left-hand turn to a tight right-hander.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mick F wrote:Is this not the case with tandemists?
Does the stoker not keep both feet on the pedals?
That was always my preference, but not all pairings do that.
Si

Post by Si »

We are meant to teach people toput theleftfoot down because ifit slips they fall onto the pavement rather than in front of the traffic. But for me it's like schools in the old days forcing kids to write with their right hand. Id rather they put the foot down that they feel most comfortable with , especially if doing a hill start where they need more power on thw pedal to gwt going.