Left or right foot de-cleating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Debs

Re: Left or right foot de-cleating?

Post by Debs »

NUKe wrote:reminds me of the Hendon shuffle. (One for the motorcyclists)

I've often thought that hybrid bikers [those of us who can ride motorbikes and bicycles] employ some motorcycle riding techniques to their bicycling.
I'm sure it's the reason i insist on having bicycle front brake on the right, my life depends on it :D

And i seem to be far more left foot down and right foot clipped in ready to push away, but can be ambidextious if circumstances present a better option for right foot down... just like i'd do on a motorbike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Spot on.
Mick F. Cornwall
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I uncleat left foot first and get off on the left.
When on the continent I try and uncleat on the right and get of on the right but it is a bit ungainly so if there is not much traffic I get off on the left.
Is it just me that has a bit of a Problem with dismounting on the right with a laden bike?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Left unclipped first and down first. I get on from the left as that's best on the road. So right leg over and clip in with one movement. Left has to be last. Also as a motorcyclist you wait with your left foot down and the right covering the foot brake. How did it work in the old days with brake pedals on the left?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mattsccm wrote:Also as a motorcyclist you wait with your left foot down and the right covering the foot brake. How did it work in the old days with brake pedals on the left?
Old days! Only 25 years ago for me. I would hold with the front brake. My left foot on the ground meant I could select gear with my right foot to move off since of course I would not sit at traffic lights holding the clutch in. When I rode machines with the modern layout, left foot gear lever, I would have to do a swift change of foot on the ground or sit there with both feet down.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We're all different eh?

Chatting about this yesterday regarding the left/right thing, it brought up other subjects.

I cross my legs left-over-right. The other way is very uncomfortable.
Arm folding, I cross my left arm above, with my right hand on top, left hand tucked in. The other way feel lop-sided and twisted.
Hand clasping, my left thumb is over my right thumb. Other way is very weird indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I think of the number of polls on here, this thread might have merited one, but having said that, I'm lost as to who would be interested in the result.

FWIW, I've always mounted from the left, which seems a no-brainer if you ride on the left, but I wouldn't be prescriptive. Dismounting on the left naturally follows, but again, I wouldn't be prescriptive. Putting a foot down eg in traffic is neither one nor the other but it seems instinctive to use the same foot. I'm right-handed so I've no idea if that affects it, but I do prefer to push off with my right leg. The only time this has had any effect was a little bit when riding fixed-wheel, when you can't simply lift your preferred foot ready for the off, but a combination of track-standing and occasional lifting the back wheel to be able to get the preferred foot up works for me; and with a coaster - back-pedal - brake. This was a bit of a nuisance when I first got my shopping bike, especially as I was often using fully-laden panniers. There were a couple of times when I had the "wrong" ie left foot at the top and restarting was irritating. I soon got into the habit of braking with my left foot so my right was at the top when I stopped, ready to push off.

Re the thing about training beginners to use one foot or the other, what a load of rubbish. I'd take a lot of convincing that this wasn't just another of those things that is easy for an examiner to observe, so work backwards to justify its inclusion. It's being unnecessarily prescriptive. :wink:
Debs

Post by Debs »

My 12 year old birthday prezzy was a beginners horse riding lesson.

We were taught to mount the horse [or ponies in our case] on their left hand side; put your left foot in syrup and swing right leg up and over saddle...

So i can only think it all makes good horse sense :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Debs wrote: ... So i can only think it all makes good horse sense :D

I hope that's not the cue for some "nay" jokes. Oh dear :oops:
nick12

Post by nick12 »

We were taught to mount the horse [or ponies in our case] on their left hand side; put your left foot in syrup and swing right leg up and over saddle... :D

The syrup must make your foot a bit sticky. :lol:
Debs

Post by Debs »

We were taught to mount the horse [or ponies in our case] on their left hand side; put your left foot in syrup and swing right leg up and over saddle... :D

The syrup must make your foot a bit sticky. :lol:

i'm just glad the pony didn't have a auto spill chucker :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:Re the thing about training beginners to use one foot or the other, what a load of rubbish. I'd take a lot of convincing that this wasn't just another of those things that is easy for an examiner to observe, so work backwards to justify its inclusion. It's being unnecessarily prescriptive. :wink:

Well, I think mounting from the left and starting and stopping with the left foot down in Bikeability were meant to get people to move / lean away from traffic.

But I never bothered too much about which way people did it, as long as they did it safely.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve always clipped in / out primarily on the left. Usually because any raised surface ( kerbs etc) are on my left when stopping.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm surprised by how many people seem to want to stop in a gutter to use a kerb...

I actively avoid doing so - taking the lane at the point I need to stop - because if I'm stopped that probably means traffic as a whole is stopped, and I want to control what happens as I set off.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm surprised by how many people seem to want to stop in a gutter to use a kerb...

I actively avoid doing so - taking the lane at the point I need to stop - because if I'm stopped that probably means traffic as a whole is stopped, and I want to control what happens as I set off.

Yep - wonder how all these kerb proppers get on with right turns. In any case most roads don't have a gutter and a kerb - only usually found in towns and cities. I prefer to cycle in the countryside.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker