'Swerve the car' footage shows dangers of 'stupid' game

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: 'Swerve the car' footage shows dangers of 'stupid' game

Post by 661-Pete »

Nothing new.

I seem to recall our school headmaster delivering a salutary warning. Back in those days (and it even goes on now I believe) some kids used to get a thrill out of playing 'chicken' in front of a train. The last one to leap off the track won the pot. One day a certain boy (not from our school) comprehensively won - but didn't live long enough to collect his winnings.... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Comparing kids on bikes as an extension to a lunatic motorcyclist who kills is so far removed.....

Read the post again.

I did, you said "which was a direct extension of the kind of stunts in the linked article", so to me that says you think that 'stupid' kids on bikes will progress forward to a "lunatic" 'kid' on a motorcycle killing someone, doesn't it?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To suggest that all children who misbehave will grow up to be a lot worse would be absurd, but to suggest that adult criminals didn't sometimes develop to that character is no more realistic. To believe that having a connection with a pedal cycle alters everything is on another level altogether.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

AlaninWales wrote:...Kids will (and should) play and it is down to the drivers to control their vehicles responsibly.

I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid the road safety campaigns were about "Mind that child", with the emphasis being on drivers behaving safely around children. That all seems to have gone these days in favour of kids keeping out of the way of traffic.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Comparing kids on bikes as an extension to a lunatic motorcyclist who kills is so far removed.....

Read the post again.

I did, you said "which was a direct extension of the kind of stunts in the linked article", so to me that says you think that 'stupid' kids on bikes will progress forward to a "lunatic" 'kid' on a motorcycle killing someone, doesn't it?

Tony
They very well may do is my point!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:...Kids will (and should) play and it is down to the drivers to control their vehicles responsibly.

I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid the road safety campaigns were about "Mind that child", with the emphasis being on drivers behaving safely around children. That all seems to have gone these days in favour of kids keeping out of the way of traffic.

I blame Tufty and the Green Cross Code man.

Seriously, I do: AFAIR those were the first to blame the kids for being outside their mum's gardens (like, all kids had those safe areas, nicely grassed and just big enough for ball games :lol: ) and the latter appearing beside kids chatting and crossing, chiding them for their inattention whilst the bloke driving the car carried on oblivious to his surroundings.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

You mean you didn't have a large garden,maybe with a gardener? :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by gaz »

AlaninWales wrote:I blame Tufty and the Green Cross Code man.

We need more like this.
https://youtu.be/xmwBLln_VdM?t=1s
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade