Altercation with a bus

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Altercation with a bus

Post by thirdcrank »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ... You could have mentioned that you are a retired police officer
Do you ever do that, do you have any powers?
I would try never to talk to them, just ignore them

Even had I still been working, I doubt if I'd have mentioned my job: it's too easily construed as abuse of authority, although in retirement, the authority is nil/zilch/ zero: powers the same as every other member of the public. I didn't invite conversation with this person. I just said enough to avoid being assaulted. It's not easy to ignore somebody who jumps out of a car and confronts you. I do like to think that if I was in a position to intervene to prevent a serious offence I would do so, but I'm an old man with a dodgy ticker and I've never been one for fisticuffs, so I cannot be sure.
=========================================================================
PS The only reason I refer on here to being a retired police officer is that a dozen years ago on the old - unmoderated - CTC forum I was identified as such by somebody who must have known me personally through my cycle campaigning in Leeds, when I used the pseudonym Thirdcrank, but who preferred to skulk behind the anonymity of an internet forum.

viewtopic.php?p=14472#p14472

I've survived various trolls on here.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Even the wonderful "gar" was on that thread! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

And when you spoke to the driver you did not get abuse from the bus driver - wow you were lucky.

I had a stage coach driver overtake me where there was no room in front for him to do so. He then just pulled in on me until I was forced to brake. I tried very politely suggesting he should not pull in on me and all I got was an unhinged rant back and a slamming shut of his window.

In Cambridge we have had 3 cyclists/pedestrians killed by buses or coaches but all our newspaper ever prints about is the Aniston case.

95% of motorists are very good. Because of the other 5% cyclists/pedestrians need full grade separation from motorists.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

thirdcrank wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: ... You could have mentioned that you are a retired police officer
Do you ever do that, do you have any powers?
I would try never to talk to them, just ignore them

Even had I still been working, I doubt if I'd have mentioned my job: it's too easily construed as abuse of authority, although in retirement, the authority is nil/zilch/ zero: powers the same as every other member of the public. I didn't invite conversation with this person. I just said enough to avoid being assaulted. It's not easy to ignore somebody who jumps out of a car and confronts you. I do like to think that if I was in a position to intervene to prevent a serious offence I would do so, but I'm an old man with a dodgy ticker and I've never been one for fisticuffs, so I cannot be sure.
=========================================================================
PS The only reason I refer on here to being a retired police officer is that a dozen years ago on the old - unmoderated - CTC forum I was identified as such by somebody who must have known me personally through my cycle campaigning in Leeds, when I used the pseudonym Thirdcrank, but who preferred to skulk behind the anonymity of an internet forum.

viewtopic.php?p=14472#p14472

I've survived various trolls on here.

I'll take the opportunity here to say I find your contributions to this forum to be some of, if not the, best and most useful on any forum I visit- partly because of your professional knowledge and training, and party because, well, you just sound like a good bloke. :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You are too kind. Thank you. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:You are too kind. Thank you. :D

+1
It might be hard to post thousands of posts without revealing a bit about oneself :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies