First flies of the year!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gbnz

First flies of the year!

Post by gbnz »

One fly in the mouth, two flies in the eyes!

Spring is definitely here, though slightly undermined by the 3' snow drifts still apparent on some of the roads this afternoon.

(Nb. Oh yeah and had the first "It must be so hard without a car" from a well meaning neighbour; I couldn't be bothered to point out my car around the corner and the fact I cycle to work, shops etc, etc by choice. Still slightly better than the "when are you getting your licence back" - I'm never aware of having lost it :roll: )
Cyril Haearn

Re: First flies of the year!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I took a holiday in March a few years ago, some ladybirds had hibernated in my bedroom, the heating woke them up :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

No flies here today but I did my first ride of the year not wearing my Buffalo. That means it was over 8C.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Funny how flies know where your eyes are, isn't it? (For "funny" read "aggravating") It's those little, hard shelled black 'uns that do the eyes damage.

edited to correct a word
Last edited by JohnW on 12 Mar 2018, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

JohnW wrote:Funny how flies know where your eyes are, isn't it? (For "funny" read "aggravating") It's those little, hard shelled black 'uns that do the some damage.

Yeh, I'm sure plenty hit my chest, arms, et al. But it's easier to notice them when they have that crunchy after taste :wink:. I suppose they're a decent source of low fat protein......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

First shield bug of the year in the kitchen on Sunday evening. These you never, ever squash: they also answer to the name of stink bug.

A friend of ours once thought that her herbal tea was a bit more bitter than usual. In an Agatha Christie she'd have died in convulsions and Monsieur Leek would have treated us to a dramatic dénouement in the library, but as it was she was just somewhat nauseated* to find a dead one at the bottom of the cup.

But hey, it was 100% natural.

*erratum: she threw up
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

gbnz wrote:Yeh, I'm sure plenty hit my chest, arms, et al. But it's easier to notice them when they have that crunchy after taste :wink:. I suppose they're a decent source of low fat protein......

Shouldn't this be meerged with the eating on the bike thread?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Swallowed my first fly of the year yesterday.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pedalsheep wrote:Swallowed my first fly of the year yesterday.

One of summer's joy's!

Last weekends flies reminded me why cycling without decent cycling glasses, is a false economy - the replacements I should have ordered a year ago, arrived today (I'd made do with a cheapo £1.99-2.99 pair last year, in reality never using them because they didn't fit properly)