Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lorrimer12
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Jun 2018, 3:51pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Lorrimer12 » 14 Aug 2018, 4:53pm

It’s a mess. WSCC have stated in meetings that pedestrian and cycle access is permitted throughout the road closures. I think we are going to see hundreds of walkers using the roads as well as other cyclists; not to mention the protests that are planned. A mess but mor than that, dangerous. How di I let Velo South cyclists know.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10973
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby brynpoeth » 14 Aug 2018, 6:16pm

Perhaps the Lords Day Observance Society has organised it to Keep Sunday Special
If so: Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

ambodach
Posts: 827
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby ambodach » 15 Aug 2018, 3:40pm

Not a sportif but the European Championships in Glasgow. In today’s National newspaper ( you will not get it in England ) there is a report that three villages and part of another north of Glasgow had all access closed off for over 12 hours for the cycle race. A taxi driver coming off shift in early morning was apparently told to park 4 miles away and walk home. There was apparently no consultation. Lots of unhappy people who may not all blame cycling but lots will. Don’t know who organises these things but certainly a lot of arrogance.

flat tyre
Posts: 463
Joined: 18 Jul 2008, 1:01pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby flat tyre » 16 Aug 2018, 11:53am

Oh dear, our local rag (Petersfield Post) has now jumped on the "stop Velo South" bandwagon with links to the website etc. Petersfield Post is an anti cycling rag so nothing new here. Personally I was fairly ambivalent about the event itself but I can see it being used as a rallying call for the anti cyclist brigade so will probably end up doing more harm than good, though I suppose those who've stumped up the £85 may enjoy themselves.

Lorrimer12
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Jun 2018, 3:51pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Lorrimer12 » 17 Aug 2018, 7:55am

Some have paid significantly more than that. The event company have taken close to 2 million for the day with T&Cs that state that they reserve the right to change the date and place; no refunds. Stop Velo South say yes to cycling, no to road closures of 8 to 9 hours. Our ‘local rag’ is allowing local people to know about the event and what they can and cannot do which is more then the events company has done. This event is going to be dangerous in communities that struggle, on an ordinary day, to get an ambulance. Promises have been made so that profit can be made and nothing else. The day will be what it becomes but it won’t be what has been promised and CSM don’t care.

User avatar
squeaker
Posts: 3549
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby squeaker » 22 Aug 2018, 2:44pm

Lorrimer12 wrote:It’s a mess. WSCC have stated in meetings that pedestrian and cycle access is permitted throughout the road closures.
That's not what's been requested; just pedestrian access (which presumably includes pedestrians pushing cycles...), despite what the council leader wrote earlier :roll:
I agree it's a mess, though and, if a recent South Today piece is to be believed, there's a risk that our learned friends might be drafted in - AKA an expensive mess...
"42"

ArgusCompetitor
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Aug 2018, 4:59pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby ArgusCompetitor » 27 Aug 2018, 9:10pm

I think the issue with Velo South is that the organisers somehow managed to persuade WSCC to support the event without them actually considering or consulting the people affected by it. That may well mean that the correct process associated with obtaining the necessary TTRO’s (the closed road bit) was not followed, so the antis have a case that they think they can win on a technicality - for that you can blame WSCC.

My bet is that the race will go ahead with closed roads for the elite at the front of the race, with the rest of us following on open roads. A bit of a con given the entry cost paid to CSM Active. With better planning, it might work in future, but not on a 100 mile closed road circuit.

Lorrimer12
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Jun 2018, 3:51pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Lorrimer12 » 29 Aug 2018, 3:52pm

Not for CSM. They have sold cyclists a lie, they are calling it an intent. Now, it turns out, that any resident who cannot access their property will be allowed to with an escort. The closed road will be busier than it would have been if left open. God help us all.

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4511
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby foxyrider » 29 Aug 2018, 10:11pm

Lorrimer12 wrote:Not for CSM. They have sold cyclists a lie, they are calling it an intent. Now, it turns out, that any resident who cannot access their property will be allowed to with an escort. The closed road will be busier than it would have been if left open. God help us all.

It will be amazing how many journeys 'need' to be made by people who never go anywhere the rest of the year.
Call me a cynic but this whole thread has revolved around [inappropriate word removed] stirring by a few people most likely not affected by the closures. You lot really think there would be no access for emergency services? When was the last time you saw farmers doing anything on a Sunday and let's face it, it's hardly the farming centre of the country. No it might inconvenience a few Chelsea Tractor drivers for a time - so what?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Lorrimer12
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Jun 2018, 3:51pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Lorrimer12 » 1 Sep 2018, 9:07am

Limited parking, refused B&B, one lane closures, more crossing points, protests, escorted access for residents, escorted access for careers and deliveries, other cyclists riding clockwise, this event is going to take two days to complete. Thanks CSM.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9490
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Sep 2018, 11:44am

My problem is that these are private companies making a massive profit..... they are not really cycling events, but a business venture

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9490
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Sep 2018, 11:52am

I wonder what the response would be if a large company did the same thing for motorcycles or cars?

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4511
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby foxyrider » 1 Sep 2018, 12:49pm

Cunobelin wrote:My problem is that these are private companies making a massive profit..... they are not really cycling events, but a business venture


Your point being?

Pretty much any event these days is a commercial venture on some level. Music Festivals, town carnivals, 'fun' runs and yes, even cycling events.

I've ridden closed road events that have 'inconvenienced' a lot more people than this thing is and i'm sure there are some grumbles in those communities but the vast majority seem to want to get involved either by spectating or actually helping with the event.

Pretty sure that given the location you'd get a similar response to almost any big event in the area regardless of what it was for.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9490
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Sep 2018, 2:48pm

foxyrider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:My problem is that these are private companies making a massive profit..... they are not really cycling events, but a business venture


Your point being?

Pretty much any event these days is a commercial venture on some level. Music Festivals, town carnivals, 'fun' runs and yes, even cycling events.

I've ridden closed road events that have 'inconvenienced' a lot more people than this thing is and i'm sure there are some grumbles in those communities but the vast majority seem to want to get involved either by spectating or actually helping with the event.

Pretty sure that given the location you'd get a similar response to almost any big event in the area regardless of what it was for.

I can think of hundreds of events that I do not need to pay excessively to enter, have not incurred the wrath of the local population and actually have their support

But hey..... how can you fleece people with rides like tat?


Portraying it as an us and them with cyclists and MIMBYs.... when it is in fact big multi million pound business closing the area for profit against NIMBYs

Perhaps some of the profits could be used to compensate locals?

What remains unanswered is would we all support a nine hour road clinic sure for a motorcycle event, Rambler’s event, or a car rally

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4511
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Velo South closed roads sportive - good idea?!?

Postby foxyrider » 1 Sep 2018, 3:44pm

Cunobelin wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:My problem is that these are private companies making a massive profit..... they are not really cycling events, but a business venture


Your point being?

Pretty much any event these days is a commercial venture on some level. Music Festivals, town carnivals, 'fun' runs and yes, even cycling events.

I've ridden closed road events that have 'inconvenienced' a lot more people than this thing is and i'm sure there are some grumbles in those communities but the vast majority seem to want to get involved either by spectating or actually helping with the event.

Pretty sure that given the location you'd get a similar response to almost any big event in the area regardless of what it was for.

I can think of hundreds of events that I do not need to pay excessively to enter, have not incurred the wrath of the local population and actually have their support

But hey..... how can you fleece people with rides like tat?


Portraying it as an us and them with cyclists and MIMBYs.... when it is in fact big multi million pound business closing the area for profit against NIMBYs

Perhaps some of the profits could be used to compensate locals?

What remains unanswered is would we all support a nine hour road clinic sure for a motorcycle event, Rambler’s event, or a car rally


I'm sure it would have support from whichever group it was for - this whole thread would just be on a different fora!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!