Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mike Sales

Re: Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:So relatively few. You will see I have earlier posted that the numbers are too high. You will also see I was responding to a specific point made by UC.

If you want to make a point, fine, but do not misrepresent a point I make to suit your agenda please.

Well, "relative" is a matter of opinion I suppose. In absolute terms it is a lot, and the point I think I made was that other forms of violent death and "life changing injuries" as they are called these days, are not tolerated to anything like the same extent.
The danger presented by ordinary drivers is such as to limit road use by other modes. This is not the least of the ill effects of motor use.
I obviously have a point of view on this subject, and I do not think you calling it an agenda diminishes its validity. It is not a hidden agenda.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Dissonance, hmmm...

Part the first: let’s face it, over the past 30 years the onset of the car has pretty much killed it for popular cycling. You’ve got to to be pretty determined, fanatical even, to get on a bike in most populated areas of this country.

Part the second : let’s work on the basis that the independently owned and driven, liquid fuelled car is going the way of the dodo, at least in those populated areas.

Part the third: it’s amazing what people can come to accept/get used to in that period of time. Imagine a world without every town having the heart of it ripped out for traffic management, the centre not locked-in by a layer of ring roads, and car parks all too dangerous to venture through at night; the children walking and cycling to school, the roads not being dangerous “because of all the traffic.”

Part the fourth: yes there are plenty of safe, considerate and consistent car drivers; but it only takes one ditherer, one hot-head or complete idiot to not just ruin your day;

Part the fifth: Private Eye ran a cartoon one of many on a page a couple of editions ago showing two cyclists “holding up the traffic” with associated fuming and with a caption “commuting on our bikes is great for the environment”. I’m pleased to say they published my riposte letter in the next edition.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:So relatively few. You will see I have earlier posted that the numbers are too high. You will also see I was responding to a specific point made by UC.

If you want to make a point, fine, but do not misrepresent a point I make to suit your agenda please.

Well, "relative" is a matter of opinion I suppose. In absolute terms it is a lot, and the point I think I made was that other forms of violent death and "life changing injuries" as they are called these days, are not tolerated to anything like the same extent.
The danger presented by ordinary drivers is such as to limit road use by other modes. This is not the least of the ill effects of motor use.
I obviously have a point of view on this subject, and I do not think you calling it an agenda diminishes its validity. It is not a hidden agenda.

I cared not the exact point you were making, I was using agenda in a purely technical sense. What I challenged was you hanging it, erroneously, on a completely different point I was making, and mis-quoting me in the process.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote:I cared not the exact point you were making, I was using agenda in a purely technical sense. What I challenged was you hanging it, erroneously, on a completely different point I was making, and mis-quoting me in the process.

I don't agree that I was doing any thing erroneously. Relative to what are road casualties relatively few? This is what you claimed and what I take exception to. Do you wish to qualify your claim?
What technical meaning did you have in mind in using "agenda".
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I cared not the exact point you were making, I was using agenda in a purely technical sense. What I challenged was you hanging it, erroneously, on a completely different point I was making, and mis-quoting me in the process.

I don't agree that I was doing any thing erroneously. Relative to what are road casualties relatively few? This is what you claimed and what I take exception to. Do you wish to qualify your claim?
What technical meaning did you have in mind in using "agenda".

Then we disagree.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:Well, "relative" is a matter of opinion I suppose. In absolute terms it is a lot.....

But there are no absolutes other than no KSI and at the other end of the scale every crash involves a KSI.
Reletively KSI figures have gone down,not low enough granted,though they'd go down a lot further if drivers thought there was a good chance they'd be caught and suffer as a result of their criminal behaviour.
That brings us back to the state of traffic law enforcement,which in the UK is dire,that's because it's become politicised and the politicians fear losing votes if they seek to even mention zero tolerance traffic law enforcement,the tail wags the dog and the criminals know it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The number of 'accidents' is still very high
More people survive now thanks to modern medicine, robust vehicles
KSI includes those who die immediately, or within 30 days. So the true K figure is higher than quoted. Anyone who dies later, maybe after years of suffering, is counted as SI
The cops register as SI anyone who goes to hospital, includes those who die later, who are permanently crippled, and some who make a full recovery
The current KSI figures are absolutely unacceptable I think. But I do not know what I am talking about because I have not lost someone in an 'accident' (irony)

It would be quite possible to halve the KSI numbers immediately
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pwa wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Most drivers exercise care and attention whilst driving and drive to a safe standard. It is important not to demonise those, but rather to seek to address those, a minority, whose driving is a danger to others.

Sorry but I simply do not agree with this, 10% ... maybe.

Maybe where you live but around here the dangerous drivers are a minority, and i think they are despised by other drivers. But why does every thread about one very particular issue, in this case driving while unfit due to tiredness, turn into a long list of every possible type of driving infringement?

I assess not just my behaviour as a cyclist but that of motorists and compare to how I would drive with care and attention and to a safe standard, I never mentioned dangerous, you did!
I don't live in a particularly high density area, the traffic does build up at times but it's a small town and lots of countryside on my door step.
My assessment is from the basis of having done advanced driving, being a serial car commuter in London from the Northern home counties and commuted by bike since I was a 17 year old in busy traffic.

Lack of care and attention (at best) = driving above the speed limit, driving too fast for the conditions, impatience, driving too close from behind, overtaking within a metre of my handlebar in a 30 zone, cutting in too soon, left hooks, turning in front from minor to major, cutting across lanes, overtaking within 1.5m of my handlebar in a 40 zone (unless they slow down below 30), not going completely over to the opposite carriageway when overtaking in a 50/60/70 zone and/or not slowing down before passing. This is not an absolute list but some of those that are common in terms of care and attention, "danger" would add a lot lot more.

Do a conscious count of transgressors using my standard, I don't think my standard is overtly bias or incorrect from just a care and attention basis, just what should be the standard all the time. Many experienced cycle riders get accustomed to poor driving standards, you then have the situation upon seeing videos of lack of care and attention as a 'well that's not all that bad' or 'I've seen worse' and more besides because we've being brow beaten so much even poor driving is now thrown aside as just how things are.

As for the why does every thread turn into something else? I wouldn't say every in any case but threads evolve pretty much on any forum on any subject, in this case though it's relevant because someone asked the question regarding driving standards and how motorists see not having to adhere to a certain standard and making decisions to ensure others safety as something that does not apply to them.

That applied here, the driver didn't think their actions were unacceptable (driving tired), just like driving too close, like speeding, impatience etc
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So just to be clear, is your premise that 90% of drivers have, at some point, done one or more of the things on your list?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

David9694 wrote:Dissonance, hmmm...

Part the first: let’s face it, over the past 30 years the onset of the car has pretty much killed it for popular cycling. You’ve got to to be pretty determined, fanatical even, to get on a bike in most populated areas of this country.

Part the second : let’s work on the basis that the independently owned and driven, liquid fuelled car is going the way of the dodo, at least in those populated areas.

Part the third: it’s amazing what people can come to accept/get used to in that period of time. Imagine a world without every town having the heart of it ripped out for traffic management, the centre not locked-in by a layer of ring roads, and car parks all too dangerous to venture through at night; the children walking and cycling to school, the roads not being dangerous “because of all the traffic.”

Part the fourth: yes there are plenty of safe, considerate and consistent car drivers; but it only takes one ditherer, one hot-head or complete idiot to not just ruin your day;

Part the fifth: Private Eye ran a cartoon one of many on a page a couple of editions ago showing two cyclists “holding up the traffic” with associated fuming and with a caption “commuting on our bikes is great for the environment”. I’m pleased to say they published my riposte letter in the next edition.

I read that letter, and I'm glad to have this opportunity to thank you for writing it. I'd missed the cartoon (fortunately for my BP).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flinders wrote:
David9694 wrote:Dissonance, hmmm...

I read that letter, and I'm glad to have this opportunity to thank you for writing it. I'd missed the cartoon (fortunately for my BP).

Could you post the letter text here?
Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

pwa wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Sorry but I simply do not agree with this, 10% ... maybe.

Maybe where you live but around here the dangerous drivers are a minority, and i think they are despised by other drivers. But why does every thread about one very particular issue, in this case driving while unfit due to tiredness, turn into a long list of every possible type of driving infringement?

I assess not just my behaviour as a cyclist but that of motorists and compare to how I would drive with care and attention and to a safe standard, I never mentioned dangerous, you did!
I don't live in a particularly high density area, the traffic does build up at times but it's a small town and lots of countryside on my door step.
My assessment is from the basis of having done advanced driving, being a serial car commuter in London from the Northern home counties and commuted by bike since I was a 17 year old in busy traffic.

Lack of care and attention (at best) = driving above the speed limit, driving too fast for the conditions, impatience, driving too close from behind, overtaking within a metre of my handlebar in a 30 zone, cutting in too soon, left hooks, turning in front from minor to major, cutting across lanes, overtaking within 1.5m of my handlebar in a 40 zone (unless they slow down below 30), not going completely over to the opposite carriageway when overtaking in a 50/60/70 zone and/or not slowing down before passing. This is not an absolute list but some of those that are common in terms of care and attention, "danger" would add a lot lot more.

Do a conscious count of transgressors using my standard, I don't think my standard is overtly bias or incorrect from just a care and attention basis, just what should be the standard all the time. Many experienced cycle riders get accustomed to poor driving standards, you then have the situation upon seeing videos of lack of care and attention as a 'well that's not all that bad' or 'I've seen worse' and more besides because we've being brow beaten so much even poor driving is now thrown aside as just how things are.

As for the why does every thread turn into something else? I wouldn't say every in any case but threads evolve pretty much on any forum on any subject, in this case though it's relevant because someone asked the question regarding driving standards and how motorists see not having to adhere to a certain standard and making decisions to ensure others safety as something that does not apply to them.

That applied here, the driver didn't think their actions were unacceptable (driving tired), just like driving too close, like speeding, impatience etc

I wonder if you and I have a different level of sensitivity to what you consider careless or substandard driving. For example, if a car is passing me at 50mph I couldn't care less of it has all its wheels over the central white lines, or just two, so long as I feel I have been given plenty of space. On some roads around here that would indeed mean all the wheels over the other side, but on some it wouldn't. All I care about is that I have been given enough room. The white lines are of no interest to me.

Similarly, sometimes cars can pass safely without slowing down first. Sometimes, not always. On long straights that can be the case. So I don't always judge a pass to be substandard just because I didn't detect a slowing down.

Most of the cars passing me don't raise any sense of alarm of even mild concern. Most of my encounters with other road users are fine. If that were not the case I wouldn't cycle on the roads anymore, and if you find most encounters with traffic unpleasant or stressful I wonder why you still do it. That would spoil it for me.

The case we are discussing here is one where the driver did something that I consider truly terrifying, and I do support the court taking it very seriously. But I continue to cycle on roads because seriously worrying encounters with traffic are, for me, quite rare.
The utility cyclist

Bonefishblues wrote:So just to be clear, is your premise that 90% of drivers have, at some point, done one or more of the things on your list?

No, 90% (at best) of drivers that I come across on the roads every time I am out on bike or even in car IME drive below the std of safe driving that shows care and attention.
I think it was already clear what I said as you well know :roll:
The utility cyclist

pwa wrote:
pwa wrote:

I wonder if you and I have a different level of sensitivity to what you consider careless or substandard driving. For example, if a car is passing me at 50mph I couldn't care less of it has all its wheels over the central white lines, or just two, so long as I feel I have been given plenty of space. On some roads around here that would indeed mean all the wheels over the other side, but on some it wouldn't. All I care about is that I have been given enough room. The white lines are of no interest to me.

Similarly, sometimes cars can pass safely without slowing down first. Sometimes, not always. On long straights that can be the case. So I don't always judge a pass to be substandard just because I didn't detect a slowing down.

Most of the cars passing me don't raise any sense of alarm of even mild concern. Most of my encounters with other road users are fine. If that were not the case I wouldn't cycle on the roads anymore, and if you find most encounters with traffic unpleasant or stressful I wonder why you still do it. That would spoil it for me.

The case we are discussing here is one where the driver did something that I consider truly terrifying, and I do support the court taking it very seriously. But I continue to cycle on roads because seriously worrying encounters with traffic are, for me, quite rare.

I've being around, I'm no novice, I ride on dual carriageways, high speed bypass roads and everything else many would not dare to venture, I've ridden in high density traffic since the mid 80s when I cut my teeth going from the outskirts of a mid sized city along major arterial routes including through a major industrial area with HGVs aplenty (a higher % of the vehicles than even now in most areas) and still rode a lot even when I had a decade of car commuting into the big smoke.

It's not sensitivity in the sense you are talking about, it's awareness of people doing stuff wrong that can and does have negative consequences.
If the action/s would make a child or an 80 year old granny riding a bike feel fear of harm then it's lack of care and attention, if it's breaking the law it's at least lack of care and attention (so that's all that I mentioned above) and more likely dangerous, if the action would fail you on a driving test (though the basic test/training is proven to be sub standard in any case) then that's undue care and attention.

Driving isn't a game, it's not something to be taken lightly as at least 90% do in their actions, there are 160,000 reported minor injuries annually in the UK(438 a day), that's reported ones, and only due to motorvehicle technology and safety features is this figure not nearer half a million.
How many close calls/near misses that frighten people, into the hundreds of millions, that's an assault right there, ergo not driving with care and attention/dangerous driving.
Speeding is again a care and attention incident, I'd be surprised if 90% of motorists didn't speed, probably closer to 99.99% but because the standard of driving is so low and police are unwilling to keep the peace in most cases then people will simply drive however they like and not give a stuff.

This is a reality that kills and maims 24,000 people a year, including over 100 deaths and 3000+ serious injuries of people on bikes, I think that in itself is telling despite as I said all the tech in place, massively improved steering, control and braking.

If we continue as we have for decades, over half a century in fact of continually lowering the bar of what is an acceptable driving standard, continually shrugging it off as a non event it will not improve. As I said it's only the tech that is stopping more deaths and injuries and yet cyclists deaths have remained the same (if not gone up because Beyond the kerb's data on cyclist deaths seems to indicate 120 deaths in 2017) and injuries have started going back up as well despite no increase in cycling and despite much higher helmet wearing rates.
Overall KSI have also gone back up again since 2013.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonefishblues wrote:So just to be clear, is your premise that 90% of drivers have, at some point, done one or more of the things on your list?

No, 90% (at best) of drivers that I come across on the roads every time I am out on bike or even in car IME drive below the std of safe driving that shows care and attention.
I think it was already clear what I said as you well know :roll:

No, I didn't know. That is why I asked for clarification, rather more politely than you replied.

That is not my experience of the drivers I encounter by a considerable measure.