Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Post by mercalia »

Last edited by Graham on 16 Mar 2018, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
thirdcrank

Re: poor so-and-so nearly meets his maker

Post by thirdcrank »

The injured rider's comments, from the Daily Post link above:
“He fell asleep, it was an accident. I have no idea if the guy that did this to me is a good guy or not, but him going to jail doesn’t really make me feel any better. It means his life will be ruined as he’ll have a criminal record. I’m surprised he got a year, but I think the judge must have been shocked by the footage of the accident.”

A truly charitable view on the part of Gareth Evans. I hope he eventually recovers from his injuries and he's not put off cycling forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:The injured rider's comments, from the Daily Post link above:
“He fell asleep, it was an accident. I have no idea if the guy that did this to me is a good guy or not, but him going to jail doesn’t really make me feel any better. It means his life will be ruined as he’ll have a criminal record. I’m surprised he got a year, but I think the judge must have been shocked by the footage of the accident.”

A truly charitable view on the part of Gareth Evans. I hope he eventually recovers from his injuries and he's not put off cycling forever.

I thought that too.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:The injured rider's comments, from the Daily Post link above:

I thought that too.

+1
reohn2

Re: Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Post by reohn2 »

I can only agree with the previous three posts,whether a 12month prison sentence is justified or another sentence may have been better is debatable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Good bloke, that cyclist. His collar-bone will probably be fine, but tendon injuries can linger. Fortunately, he's at a good age to recover well, and I hope he does.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:I can only agree with the previous three posts,whether a 12month prison sentence is justified or another sentence may have been better is debatable.

I'm afraid that I have to take the view that continuing to drive after twice stopping due to drowsiness is an act of recklessness. Semi-understandable recklessness, perhaps, because we all do things we later recognise as daft. But the opportunity to pull over and make the road safe was ignored by the driver. The court should be influenced by that poor choice and the fact it nearly cost a life.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think the sentencing is fair, probably more so than in most crashes where a motorist is responsible for severe injury or death of a cyclist.

Remember, the motorist is unlikely to serve more than 6 months of his sentence. And it is important that he received a significant ban and must take an extended retest.

It may seem harsh compared to other motorists who are responsible for crashes, but IMO, it is they who have been treated too mildly, rather than this motorists having been treated too harshly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:I'm afraid that I have to take the view that continuing to drive after twice stopping due to drowsiness is an act of recklessness. Semi-understandable recklessness, perhaps, because we all do things we later recognise as daft. But the opportunity to pull over and make the road safe was ignored by the driver. The court should be influenced by that poor choice and the fact it nearly cost a life.

I think that's exactly how the Court saw it.

I've been there in my younger years. The difference was I did pull off the M40 and found somewhere to take a tiny nap because I was lucky enough to recognise the danger, having had a couple of micro-sleeps, which fortunately I had woken up from :shock: (with that exact expression, I suspect). I had however driven home tired many, many times previously, and indeed since.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I can only agree with the previous three posts,whether a 12month prison sentence is justified or another sentence may have been better is debatable.

I'm afraid that I have to take the view that continuing to drive after twice stopping due to drowsiness is an act of recklesness
. .

+1
Maybe there should be a poll on this?
It might be good if the dm etc took it up (driving when tired)
Could be that the driver has ruined the cyclists life and his own, it would be interesting to know where both are in a couple of years
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
There's no doubt the driver was driving dangerously,but one has to ask what good does a jail sentence do in this case(and many others IMHO)?
Going off the reports the driver was formerly of good character before the crash,the report also mentions that the cyclist is unabale to work after the crash due to injuries sustained as a result.
Would it not serve society and the cyclist better if the person who caused his suffering was made to suppliment his income to a large extent until he can work again?
Such a sentence along with the driving ban and extended retest,would serve the community and the cyclist much better than sitting locked up in prison 23 hours a day costing the tax payer to keep him and helping no one in particular.
My 2d's worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I like my original title :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well I'd like to see a longer ban.

It's always struck me as a little funny that there's been a reasonably successful push to make driving while drunk socially unacceptable but driving while tired, which is just as dangerous, is seen as less of an issue.

Of course, a big factor is enforceability. Once breathalysers were invented it was easy to test for. Tiredness much harder to demonstrate.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Username

Post by Username »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:I'm afraid that I have to take the view that continuing to drive after twice stopping due to drowsiness is an act of recklessness. Semi-understandable recklessness, perhaps, because we all do things we later recognise as daft. But the opportunity to pull over and make the road safe was ignored by the driver. The court should be influenced by that poor choice and the fact it nearly cost a life.

I think that's exactly how the Court saw it.

I've been there in my younger years. The difference was I did pull off the M40 and found somewhere to take a tiny nap because I was lucky enough to recognise the danger, having had a couple of micro-sleeps, which fortunately I had woken up from :shock: (with that exact expression, I suspect). I had however driven home tired many, many times previously, and indeed since.

Have you considered sorting yourself out?

reohn2 wrote:There's more than one way to skin a cat.
There's no doubt the driver was driving dangerously,but one has to ask what good does a jail sentence do in this case(and many others IMHO)?
Going off the reports the driver was formerly of good character before the crash,the report also mentions that the cyclist is unabale to work after the crash due to injuries sustained as a result.
Would it not serve society and the cyclist better if the person who caused his suffering was made to suppliment his income to a large extent until he can work again?
Such a sentence along with the driving ban and extended retest,would serve the community and the cyclist much better than sitting locked up in prison 23 hours a day costing the tax payer to keep him and helping no one in particular.
My 2d's worth.

It punishes the person for being negligent. Being in prison is also a physical barrier for putting the public at risk again. You do have a very good point about supplement the cyclists income, but IMO I think its worth the tax money to keep such negligent people out of harms way. Plus the punishment aspect. Sentencing is very weak in this country.