Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Conwy driver jailed for head-on crash with cyclist

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I agree with Barks

There is far too much driving associated with outdoor activities such as munroing
Do obsessive munrobaggers need psychiatric help?

Would it be possible to petition for a ban on the three peaks challenge?

You could say the same about Audax / Sportive events.

I agree,though the results of cycling whilst tired and fatigued is less likely to cause danger to others,it's not without possibility.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I agree with Barks

There is far too much driving associated with outdoor activities such as munroing
Do obsessive munrobaggers need psychiatric help?

Would it be possible to petition for a ban on the three peaks challenge?

You could say the same about Audax / Sportive events.

I agree,though the results of cycling whilst tired and fatigued is less likely to cause danger to others,it's not without possibility.

I'm thinking more of getting in the car after the event. See story upthread.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'm assuming that you have some advice to offer? How do you avoid driving when tired?

I'm not sure that 'tired' per se is the problem. There are degrees of tired. The problem is that when someone is tired enough to be impaired.

Someone who has pulled over twice to rest certainly knows that he is tired enough to be impaired. In a similar situation, once, I got a room on a cheap motel, and continued my journey after sleeping. TBH, I probably didn't sleep as long as should have before I continuing, but I was no longer so tired that I was in danger of falling asleep while driving.

Many people drive when they haven't had a full night's sleep, or are even sleep deprived (i.e. new parents). Is that a problem? Only if they cannot remain awake and alert.

Don't drive if you are tired and:
-Are yawning a great deal
-feel drowsy
-at any point cannot remember the last few miles
Find a safe place to stop and rest; preferably proper rest (like a night's sleep)

It should never get to the point that you nod off, start drifting in your lane, hitting the rumble strips, etc.

Poster was clear that I need to "sort myself out" so I was naturally wanting to understand how (and indeed how such a diagnosis had been reached, based on such a paucity of evidence) I should do that.

Or I wonder if said poster might have been indulging in the sport of rushing to judgement? :lol:

As you rightly said, there are degrees. That episode happened to me over 30 years ago. I have never forgotten it, so frightening was it, and have never had a repeat.

Not sure the advice of Barks would prove terribly effective when phoning an employer to tell them I was tired, so wouldn't be coming to work - at least in the world I inhabit, but I'm grateful nonetheless.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I'm thinking more of getting in the car after the event. See story upthread.

I only saw your post after I posted mine,though my concerns still stands for tired cycling.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:I'm thinking more of getting in the car after the event. See story upthread.

I only saw your post after I posted mine,though my concerns still stands for tired cycling.

I don't think I've ever felt that I was going to nod off while cycling, though I've heard of others doing it and waking up in a hedge.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Not sure the advice of Barks would prove terribly effective when phoning an employer to tell them I was tired, so wouldn't be coming to work - at least in the world I inhabit, but I'm grateful nonetheless.
. A lack of planning on your part should not impinge on others. Where I work we have a word called ‘PressOnItis’ and our research into accidents cites this as a major cause of fatalities and serious injuries, clearly shown within the sequence described in the original incident described at the start of the post. Travelling back from a weekend on the Hills or commuting to work after an all night party do not justify the risk appetite - plan a days leave after such occasions or don’t do them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Barks wrote:
. A lack of planning on your part should not impinge on others. Where I work we have a word called ‘PressOnItis’ and our research into accidents cites this as a major cause of fatalities and serious injuries, clearly shown within the sequence described in the original incident described at the start of the post. Travelling back from a weekend on the Hills or commuting to work after an all night party do not constitute such reason, precisely the opposite - plan a days leave after such occasions or don’t do them.

I'm grateful. If one feels tired at work, as can happen, what would the advice be?
Barks

Post by Barks »

7 Key Points

Press-on-it is a dangerous mental state that can affect even the best and most experienced operators.
Many accidents are caused, or suspected to be caused or contributed to by press-on-itis.
Unreasonable pressure to get to the destination, whether self-generated or externally-imposed, can cause individuals to decide to continue to their planned destination despite conditions being unsuitable to do so.
Company policies must truly place safety first and reward safe decision making.
Good training that stresses awareness of the dangers of press-on-itis, setting boundaries, sound knowledge of rules and procedures, disciplined adherence to minima and performance requirements, and planning to deal with potential situations will act as defenses against unsafe conditions.

If you task at work involves potential danger to you or others your employer has a duty to support you. Your journey to and from work is your choice, If you are tired from your personal activities or perhaps even if slightly unwell yet still able to do your day’s work then use public transport, get a lift from a colleague or just about anything other than get in your car and drive. There are alternatives.
Last edited by Barks on 16 Mar 2018, 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mercalia wrote:I like my original title :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What was your original title please, could we vote on it?

It's still on early posts in the thread

poor so-and-so nearly meets his maker

Re the injured rider, I think his comment about the judge's view on sentencing rather than his own is perceptive. Historically, the reason most prosecutions are conducted in the name of The Crown is that it's the public interest which counts rather than individual attitudes, forgiveness or desire for retribution.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Barks wrote:7 Key Points

Press-on-it is a dangerous mental state that can affect even the best and most experienced operators.
Many accidents are caused, or suspected to be caused or contributed to by press-on-itis.
Unreasonable pressure to get to the destination, whether self-generated or externally-imposed, can cause individuals to decide to continue to their planned destination despite conditions being unsuitable to do so.
Company policies must truly place safety first and reward safe decision making.
Good training that stresses awareness of the dangers of press-on-itis, setting boundaries, sound knowledge of rules and procedures, disciplined adherence to minima and performance requirements, and planning to deal with potential situations will act as defenses against unsafe conditions.

Yes, but what should I do, practically, in real life?
Barks

Post by Barks »

Pls see edited post above.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Driving is inherently dangerous. When does the tipping point occur?
Barks

Post by Barks »

That expected of a competent driver is the best the law appears to provide
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You seem to have expertise in the area so I was looking for your insight and advice, which may be useful to others?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One useful tip might be to do better than the law expects
Keep comfortably below the maximum speed limit for example
Leave bigger gaps when following to increase safety margin
&c, &c
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies