Caught out

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Caught out

Post by foxyrider »

Having the option to ride when it suits me rather than when I have the time generally means I can avoid going out in bad weather. Indeed I aborted on Thursday as it was hissing down.

Fast forward to this morning - forecast of cloudy but dry after a few flakes of snow early morning. Look outside, bit of white about but dry so I togged up and set off. A couple of little flurries on the way to the cafe but TBH I was more concerned with the wind.

Set off for the 50km home between snow showers but it wasn't settling even if it was dropping quite hard once or twice. But of course I live on the edge of the Peak District, somewhat more altitude than Robin Hoods gaff which is when it went awry. Oh yes, wave after wave of white stuff assailed me the closer I got to home, now starting to settle on the tarmac.

The last ten kilometres were on roads white over, often with no visibility - I really would've preferred to not be out in those conditions! My brakes froze (semi hydra discs) which made the last drop into Steel City a bit interesting!

Back at home I had to knock a half inch thick coating of ice off my boots and my drivetrain was well coated with ice, sprockets and chainring looking more like a sketch than solid metal - there was even chunks of ice coating the SPD's. Yup, not pleasant at all.

I hope if anyone else has been out today they've had a more pleasant experience and if you have got caught out by The Beast 2 that you got home safely.

PS: it's been snowing off an on all afternoon so there's a good coating up here now - I won't be out on two wheels tomorrow!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Re: Caught out

Post by mjr »

I got caught out in the other way. Near-zero temperatures and snow forecast meant I took the studded bike, but the roads were so dry and the snow didn't settle for ages (it was whipping past too fast in the wind) that I need not have bothered. Oh well, it's all good exercise!

There's a good coating of snow on things here now. I wonder if it will last long enough to ride and look for where this year's tulips are (ready for a flower cycle ride in a month or so) and a pub.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I planned the first half-day ride of the year, 50+ km, made lots of sandwiches to take
Realised it was very cold so I went to a lecture about Greenland only 6 km away instead
There was such a cold wind on the way home, nearly blew my hat off, the Baltic is very high ('bathtub effect'), had to eat a lot and go to bed early, just woke up again :)
Planning 10 000 metres plus tomorrow plus some culture

It will be too hot again soon enough :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Username

Post by Username »

I also got caught yesterday, but was released due to lack of evidence.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Within 5 minutes of setting out of Saturday it had started to snow and I asked Mrs Whoof if she wanted to carry on, she did. For the first hour it snowed for most of the time but it wasn't sticking to the roads. We did 40 km into a head wind and then stopped at a café. The return had a strong tail wind but no snow. All in all a very enjoyable ride.
Yesterday I didn't have to go to work so I did 80 km using a bike with winter tyres. At one point I sat in the sun and out of the wind and drank a flask of coffee and it was very pleasant.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

foxyrider wrote:My brakes froze (semi hydra discs) which made the last drop into Steel City a bit interesting!

What do they use for hydraulic fluid, orange squash?

Seriously, is there any warning about operating temperatures for the fluid?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:My brakes froze (semi hydra discs) which made the last drop into Steel City a bit interesting!

Don't think it was the fluid but rather the actuating mechanism - a lot of the bike arrived home with about 5-10mm of ice - everything except the chain!

It is a serious point though, I guess there is an operating range for the fluid but methinks it should be lower than Saturdays -6c.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

foxyrider wrote:I guess there is an operating range for the fluid but methinks it should be lower than Saturdays -6c.

I would hope so....
whoof

Post by whoof »

foxyrider wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:

Don't think it was the fluid but rather the actuating mechanism - a lot of the bike arrived home with about 5-10mm of ice - everything except the chain!

My neighbour has mechanical disc brakes and his froze during the previous cold snap. So probably is the actuator rather that fluid.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My neighbour has mechanical disc brakes and his froze during the previous cold snap.

I'll stick with the rim brakes - not that I anticipate ever riding at really low temperatures any more
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

whoof wrote:
My neighbour has mechanical disc brakes and his froze during the previous cold snap. So probably is the actuator rather that fluid.

Or maybe it's a maintenance issue? I know a couple of people who commute in Norwegian winter conditions on MTBs with mechanical disc brakes, so I have a hard time imagining that it is a problem with the type of system.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

foxyrider wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:

It is a serious point though, I guess there is an operating range for the fluid but methinks it should be lower than Saturdays -6c.

There are two different fluids in use in hydraulic brakes. Mineral oil fluids have significant deterioration in performance below freezing. This will make brakes sluggish, but not freeze. Glycol based brake fluids are good down to around -20C.

The problem is more likely to be the seals, which stiffen significantly in the cold. That usually just means slightly spongey brakes and a little leakage at the calipers.

Most people I know who ride much in the winter use cable operated brakes at temperatures below around -10 or -15.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
whoof

Post by whoof »

Vorpal wrote:
whoof wrote:

Or maybe it's a maintenance issue? I know a couple of people who commute in Norwegian winter conditions on MTBs with mechanical disc brakes, so I have a hard time imagining that it is a problem with the type of system.

He described it as water running down the cable and then freezing in the brake. A quick internet search and it seems others have similar problems and plenty of advice on how to fix by extending cable housing and lagging etc. So more of a design fault on some models that seems to be pretty easily overcome but better to know about it before setting off and remedying it rather than finding out it has happened at the bottom of a large hill.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

whoof wrote:He described it as water running down the cable and then freezing in the brake. A quick internet search and it seems others have similar problems and plenty of advice on how to fix by extending cable housing and lagging etc. So more of a design fault on some models that seems to be pretty easily overcome but better to know about it before setting off and remedying it rather than finding out it has happened at the bottom of a large hill.

Fair enough!