App for reporting potholes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
De Sisti

App for reporting potholes

Post by De Sisti »

The above search gave too many vauge responses. Can anyone recommend a decent app (that they've had experience with)
for reporting potholes?

Thank you.
al_yrpal

Re: App for reporting potholes

Post by al_yrpal »

Fixmystreet

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Thanks. I used the on-line CTC fill my hole.
RickH

Post by RickH »

De Sisti wrote:Thanks. I used the on-line CTC fill my hole.

I think you'll find it is called "fill that hole" & there is an android app (& an iPhone version too but I have no 1st hand experience of that version) of the same name that let's you take photos of the offending hole to upload as part of your report. Also uses the phone's GPS to pinpoint the location.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:Fixmystreet

^^ This. Also good for reporting broken lights, fly tips and much more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

RickH wrote:

I think you'll find it is called "fill that hole" & there is an android app (& an iPhone version too but I have no 1st hand experience of that version) of the same name that let's you take photos of the offending hole to upload as part of your report. Also uses the phone's GPS to pinpoint the location.

With the App version you have to open it > take photo > fill in details. I took a couple of photographs and tried to upload them
to the App later on, but that facility wasn't there. In future I will continue to use the CTC web version and FixmyStreet, which
I also used today.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I shudder to think what a seach for an app with that title would throw up :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Doesn't your local authority have their own site to make reports? Surely doing it direct instead of third party is better no?

I simply take a photo and upload it to the LA highways website. I've threatened a court order today if they don't fix the road within one calendar month as the very minimum as the whole section of road has being out of repair for two years. This is made clear in the Highways Act 1980, fed up to the back teeth with them.
Lay cruddy sub std roads then wonder why they fall apart in short order, pay more even over a short period of time to doing it properly, not to mention compo claims and legal/admin costs :twisted:
RickH

Post by RickH »

The utility cyclist wrote:Doesn't your local authority have their own site to make reports? Surely doing it direct instead of third party is better no?

But you have to know what authority the pothole is in to know where to report it.

I came across one last week but I'd no idea which authority owned it - my route was wiggling across probably 3 authority boundaries over a fairly short distance. With something like Fill That Hole I can report it on the spot without having to figure out who to report it to.

Plus there is a record of the report if they claim they didn't know about it later.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I use both apps mentioned above to report a flooded subway and got differing reports from each app but I did get a result in less than a week. The cause was a failure in the power supply to the pumps which resulted in this.

The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

RickH wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Doesn't your local authority have their own site to make reports? Surely doing it direct instead of third party is better no?

But you have to know what authority the pothole is in to know where to report it.

I came across one last week but I'd no idea which authority owned it - my route was wiggling across probably 3 authority boundaries over a fairly short distance. With something like Fill That Hole I can report it on the spot without having to figure out who to report it to.

Plus there is a record of the report if they claim they didn't know about it later.

MY LA have a defined map with exact boundaries, there was a pothole literally a few metres the other side of the county boundary and it wouldn't let me put it in, ergo I entered it in on the bordering counties site.
Even if ine does not have a GPS to hand it's not awfully difficult to fathom which is the responsible authority IME.
mjr

Post by mjr »

As well as the border problem mentioned, some local authority sites hide reports so if someone else is injured by a pothole, they can't prove the council had already been told. Most council sites are also far more difficult to use than fixmystreet, especially if you use any accessibility tools.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Even if ine does not have a GPS to hand it's not awfully difficult for me to fathom which is the responsible authority IME.
FTFY
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I used to report potholes. These days I only report the worst ones as Highways seem to then go an extract punishment where roads have too many potholes reported - by going and surface dressing then next summer!

Plus historically the repairs have been virtually as bad to the holes themselves and you still end-up having to avoid the repaired ones. But more recently they have been using a different machine/technique where the repair appears finished with a fine grit (not enough to slide on) and these are fine to ride over.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:I used to report potholes. These days I only report the worst ones as Highways seem to then go an extract punishment where roads have too many potholes reported - by going and surface dressing then next summer!

And Norfolk's surface dressing is so bad that I report it as damage: https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/664955