Cyclist killed at Carlisle - hit by lorry

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Re: Cyclist killed at Carlisle - hit by lorry

Post by Paulatic »

Yes very sad and on a roundabout I’ve used numerous times.
It happened a few days ago and there were still pics, on the day, some of them showing a bicycle. It looked completely untouched and also maybe if an E variety.

Edit: To add here’s the link http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Polic ... 99a54fc-ds Scroll through the first pics.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Headlines from paulatic's link:

Tragedy in Carlisle: Police confirm the death of a cyclist on the A689 Carlisle Bypass
Motorists face huge tailbacks across the city due to the earlier closure of the Carlisle Bypass

The only pics I can see are of the tragedy of huge tailbacks.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

RIP Sir
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I've often felt that lots of driving on remote forest roads where there are few other users of any kind tends to impart a fairly causal attitude to vulnerable road users when they get to busier roads.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wanlock Dod wrote:I've often felt that lots of driving on remote forest roads where there are few other users of any kind tends to impart a fairly causal attitude to vulnerable road users when they get to busier roads.

There’s probably some truth in that. Stick lorries make up a large proportion of HGV traffic in this area. I’ve had a couple of memorable close shaves with them. Run off the road by a wagon and drag. Also very nearly being knocked out On the Eskdalemuir-Ettrick road so no spare room, by a load loaded crossways with a log sticking out proud of the rest. Missed my head by millimetres!

E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Always sad when someone dies before their time. We don't know what went wrong here, except that someone died. Could have been a mistake on either side, or a mechanical of some sort. With a bit of luck there may be witnesses to shed some light on it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Wanlock Dod wrote:I've often felt that lots of driving on remote forest roads where there are few other users of any kind tends to impart a fairly causal attitude to vulnerable road users when they get to busier roads.

And even whilst still on the quieter roads, and towards not quite so vulnerable users. I was once in a car forced into the ditch by a timber lorry, in Glen Spean. We were four strong young climbers so getting back on the road was not too difficult.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Update
The lorry driver has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2019/07/23 ... e-cyclist/

https://truckerworld.uk/2019/07/lorry-d ... e-cyclist/
Last edited by PaulS on 24 Jul 2019, 8:31am, edited 1 time in total.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I was a couple of inches away today from being another stat, sick thing was there was a patrol police car coming from the opposite direction who clearly must have seen what unfolded and did precisely squat :twisted: I looked behind and they just carried on going, It was an absolute shocker, worse I've had in years (last really bad one was a tipper truck cutting across me at 50mph to make a turn off the bypass road!)

I'd already reported an incident earlier in the afternoon where an Arriva bus driver targeted me so he could get to the mini rbt first, deliberately aiming his bus forcing me to brake and close to hitting the kerb. Herts police website states that no witness/no video camera footage equals no investigation and simply compiled for data purposes :twisted: So I rang them instead and told them I want them to uphold the law and investigate my allegation.
it's not been too bad the last few months, plenty of really good driving but it can all go massively wrong in a split second and in some situations you can't do anything about it. This is what narks me about how the police respond far too often, their inaction/failure to folow up/uphold the law and indeed the CPS and the whole so called justice system simply aids the violent assaults/killings on our roads, there's simply no deterrent of any note!

And then we wonder why women, kids, older people hardly ever cycle and those that do are giving up in as many numbers as those starting to cycle, hence why the data shows us cycling miles has increased a tiny amount since the middle of the 00s but actually the numbers cycling has remained pretty static. and many others don't cycle at all
The utility cyclist

pwa wrote:Always sad when someone dies before their time. We don't know what went wrong here, except that someone died. Could have been a mistake on either side, or a mechanical of some sort. With a bit of luck there may be witnesses to shed some light on it.

A mistake by a person on a bike or on foot should rarely ever cost them their lives, our antiquated adversarial and discriminatory system helps motorists get off so often so they don't feel any need to take up the bulk of the responsibility for safety.
A mechanical usually means negligence, particularly when you are operating a large machine that is known to kill and maim massively greater than any type given the numbers.
the snail

Post by the snail »

The utility cyclist wrote: Herts police website states that no witness/no video camera footage equals no investigation and simply compiled for data purposes

Well, without evidence/witnesses, how can there be a conviction, given that they would have to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? OTOH, if you don't investigate, there's not much prospect of getting evidence - and I would have thought the bus might have cameras on board?
The utility cyclist

the snail wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote: Herts police website states that no witness/no video camera footage equals no investigation and simply compiled for data purposes

Well, without evidence/witnesses, how can there be a conviction, given that they would have to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? OTOH, if you don't investigate, there's not much prospect of getting evidence - and I would have thought the bus might have cameras on board?

Ah right, so that one time when there was no witness to another bus driver who'd just tride to wipe me out at 50mph and I banged on his window to let him know he'd just missed me (he had to stop in the queue of traffic at the next junction to the d/c) and then exchanged verbals with the driver (who got off his bus and threatened to put me in hospital) the police couldn't have done anything to me despite their threat of doing me for a public order offence? That's good to know, I shall let the next constable know that next time that crops up :roll:

if you get assaulted/sexually assaulted, have racial or homophobic verbal abuse hurled at you and there's no witness/no 'evidence' other than your say the police won't investigate and can't prosecute, gotcha!

I initially was linked to the online form a 101 online chat, the person never mentioned that that would be the case despite me saying the bus would have CCTV on it. So I rang in.
I was still fobbed off to start with being told to contact the bus company (which I already had), but I insisted that as the standard of driving was so bad and in my opinion the driver deliberately aimed his bus at me so it was an assault that they should investigate the matter properly. I don't waste my time on so called 'trivial' matters as I know plod are even less interested.

I say trivial because that's what most feel about near misses and poor driving standards, it's simply the norm, yet most near misses are actually a common assault as described in law, it's just that the 'justice' system waters these down for people operating motor vehicles so they don't have to face any justice at all for their actions.
Maybe if the powers that be sought to prosecute as per the law to the actual harm done then maybe, just maybe that might be enough of a deterrent for a large % (clearly it isn't going to apply to all) to make them think twice before using their motor as a blunt weapon to get their way.

Or maybe we should just accept our lot, never report matters without 'evidence' so that all the wrong uns in society can simply get away with being POS?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

E2E info
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

The utility cyclist wrote:
I'd already reported an incident earlier in the afternoon where an Arriva bus driver targeted me so he could get to the mini rbt first, deliberately aiming his bus forcing me to brake and close to hitting the kerb. Herts police website states that no witness/no video camera footage equals no investigation and simply compiled for data purposes :twisted: So I rang them instead and told them I want them to uphold the law and investigate my allegation.

I can't say about arriva buses, but I know stagecoach buses are liberally fortified with CCTV front, back and sides, which could equally condemn a poor decision by the bus driver, as it could prove the guilt of another road user. I don't know when your incident occurred, maybe writing a strongly worded letter to the company requiring copy of the CCTV. If it was a while ago or if you never got the bus reg number then it might now be futile.