Cyclist pushed into canal, Manchester

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mike Sales

Cyclist pushed into canal, Manchester

Post by Mike Sales »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/manchester-pusher-fears-revived-after-man-hurled-into-canal

Police chiefs have tried to allay fears that there is a “Manchester pusher” stalking the city’s waterways, after a cyclist was hurled into a canal at night.

Rumours of a possible serial attacker have been revived after a 34-year-old office worker was thrown into the city’s Bridgewater canal then kicked back in as he tried to save himself from drowning.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Postboxer

Re: Cyclist pushed into canal, Manchester

Post by Postboxer »

I hope they catch who did this and soon. I'm not sure if any CCTV covers the canal tow path, although there must be lots of cameras around Old Trafford football ground for monitoring fans.

There was a documentary about 'The Pusher' which I don't think contained any reference to any survivors, indeed, this is the first story I've heard about someone surviving being pushed in the canals, which is why I don't think the pusher exists. It would be interesting to see if the survivor has injuries from being kicked back in, and whether he survived by swimming to the other side, away from the attacker.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know specifically about the Bridgewater but isn't the usual way to save yourself from drowning in a canal to stand up (apart from near locks which the Bridgewater is notable for its general lack of)?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

RickH wrote:I don't know specifically about the Bridgewater but isn't the usual way to save yourself from drowning in a canal to stand up ...?

Yes. I, too, don't know the Bridgewater but canals far more often suffer from lack of depth. However a generally shallow one can have deep patches.

Owners of the remaining old working boats from the cargo-carrying era, which have deeper drafts then modern cruising boats, often complain of running aground due to shallow spots, and owners of the deeper draft steel hull cruisers sometimes also complain of grounding or having to proceed very slowly 'hunting' the deep water. In a narrow channel, increased water pressure between the hull and the channel sides will tend to 'nudge' a slow-moving boat away from the side and so keep it centred in the deeper channel even when the helmsman cannot see where the deep water is (it all looks the same on the surface): too much speed loses this effect and leads to grounding.

Generally canals are supposed to be fit for boats with 0.9m (3ft) draft, although in practice that can mean only a narrow strip getting that deep, hence it is canal etiquette that modern vessels give way to any working boats they meet, as the working boats hunt the deeper water.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

has always been my fear when riding along narrow canal paths, ending up in the water.
seems like the urban myth isnt a myth as some one has survived such an attack?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The Bridgewater is a fairly deep canal. 5ft is typical, I think, and there are sections that are significantly deeper.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

mercalia wrote:seems like the urban myth isnt a myth as some one has survived such an attack?

The mythical element is the idea that a serial murderer has killed several people by pushing them in canals like this. Given the high likelihood of surviving such an attack, the lack of earlier reports of failed attempts to drown anyone strongly suggests a myth. If someone really had killed, say, 10 people by pushing them into canals, I would expect 50-plus reports of people pushed in and surviving.

By far the greatest hazard of falling in a canal is getting crushed between the boat and the bank. In the absence of a moving boat the next risk is harm from ingesting polluted water. Being drowned is a very rare consequence. My sister used to live on a narrow boat and while she never fell in, most of her neighbours had at some time or other, generally through familiarity breeding contempt of the risks. Painting the side away from the towpath, to save the bother of turning the boat round so they could paint standing on dry land, had caused a few dips.

The BBC article reports that there have been 17 "unexplained" deaths "in water" in Greater Manchester in the last 11 years. However when someone is found drowned, 'unexplained' generally means the evidence cannot confirm whether the death was accidental or a suicide. There was no suggestion that anyone last seen cycling was among the earlier casualties. It is also unclear whether 'in water' included rivers, reservoirs, etc, where drowning hazards are greater, as well as canals.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Could many of the unexplained deaths be alcohol related?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

This reminded me of this dreadful incident along the Leeds Liverpool canal several years back.

A thief stole a cyclist's bike as he was drowning in the water.

It beggars belief.

http://road.cc/content/news/49982-inque ... g-cyclists.

I lived in Leeds at the time and am now more wary/aware whilst on towpaths .
Nu-Fogey
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I'm watching a documentary on TV with narrow boats on a canal shown. Everyone in shot is wearing an automatic inflation life jacket. Soon we will have to wear one as well as a helmet and hiviz if riding on the tow path.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Mike Sales wrote:I'm watching a documentary on TV with narrow boats on a canal shown. Everyone in shot is wearing an automatic inflation life jacket.
Isn't that just the TV production company's H&S requirement? Don't recall ever seeing lifejackets worn on the few canal trips I've been on.
"42"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

RickH wrote:I don't know specifically about the Bridgewater but isn't the usual way to save yourself from drowning in a canal to stand up (apart from near locks which the Bridgewater is notable for its general lack of)?

I'm not sure if you think that this somehow mitigates pushing somebody in. :?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

squeaker wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I'm watching a documentary on TV with narrow boats on a canal shown. Everyone in shot is wearing an automatic inflation life jacket.
Isn't that just the TV production company's H&S requirement? Don't recall ever seeing lifejackets worn on the few canal trips I've been on.

I do realise that towpath cyclists are not at present expected to wear a life jacket.
I was wondering whether these lifejackets were a precursor to a further spread of the H&S mentality. Cyclists on TV always wear a helmet.
Also, it does seem a ridiculous precaution, if canals are generally three feet depth.
I am a yottie who seldom wears a LJ.
That is twice now I have used the H word. I suppose this thread may be moved to the ghetto.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

jgurney wrote:The BBC article reports that there have been 17 "unexplained" deaths "in water" in Greater Manchester in the last 11 years. However when someone is found drowned, 'unexplained' generally means the evidence cannot confirm whether the death was accidental or a suicide. There was no suggestion that anyone last seen cycling was among the earlier casualties. It is also unclear whether 'in water' included rivers, reservoirs, etc, where drowning hazards are greater, as well as canals.

I believe that a very large proportion of deaths in water are due to people falling in while intoxicated.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Annoying Twit wrote:
jgurney wrote:The BBC article reports that there have been 17 "unexplained" deaths "in water" in Greater Manchester in the last 11 years. However when someone is found drowned, 'unexplained' generally means the evidence cannot confirm whether the death was accidental or a suicide. There was no suggestion that anyone last seen cycling was among the earlier casualties. It is also unclear whether 'in water' included rivers, reservoirs, etc, where drowning hazards are greater, as well as canals.

I believe that a very large proportion of deaths in water are due to people falling in while intoxicated.

Drunks should wear a LJ then? As well as a ******.