Minor Hit and Run

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Minor Hit and Run

Post by 10020261 »

I have just returned from a fitness ride where a car hit me on the hip as it overtook me.

I didn't lose balance and was not hurt in any way. I shouted to alert the driver but the driver just continued and was soon out of sight. I was able to memorise the car's registration number. I also noted the colour and size of the car and the hair colour and style of the driver. I know the approximate time and the exact location.

Despite emerging from the incident unscathed, I am conscious that a few centimetres closer would have meant serious injury or death. The next cyclist might not have such a lucky escape. What, if anything, do Cycling UK members think I should do next? I've never been hit like this before in 25+ years of cycling - most of that as a member of the CTC/Cycling UK.

Any thoughts welcome.
thirdcrank

Re: Minor Hit and Run

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure we are all glad it wasn't worse.

A lot always depends on what you hope to achieve. However, in the circumstances, unless you have good coroborration (independent witnesses, good headcam footage) not much is likely to happen and even if you have, it's the type of thing the police rarely if ever seem to investigate these days.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Call the police, they won't do anything (except maybe warn the driver - unlikely) might make you feel like you've done something though.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I had a close thing today, I was overtaken on a wide-ish country lane and the driver had to pull in a bit when a car appeared coming the other way over a hump backed-bridge. I hardly had time to mutter "expletive-deleted" under my breath when I heard the sound of a car with it's wheels locked up immediately behind me. I nearly pooed my pants and made a quick exit on to the grass verge. The car then slowly drove past me accompanied by the smell of burning rubber and an apologetic wave from the 30-something lady driver.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am surprised you need an advice. contact the police, it was nearly your life that was affected, you have all the details, atleast make them do the paper work

Post by 10020261 »

Thank you for the advice folks. I have submitted a road incident report on the police.uk website for my area. I'm not expecting much but I feel its worth doing on the offchance something comes of it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hello and glad it was no worse, at worst they will do nothing, but they might take it seriously enough to visit driver and advise of them their future contact, best case scenario is if a section 59 is issued... they then have to behave and watch their driving for 12 months or they can have their vehicle removed and crushed.
Also look out for the emergence of any bruising and photograph it as this will act as evidence.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Please report this to the police! Car/bike accidents are under-reported, and even it it just means that there's an official record of the incident, it all lends weight to the argument that cyclists need better protection from dangerous drivers.

Glad you're okay -- it must have been an absolutely terrifying experience. :(