Excuses excuses

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Excuses excuses

Postby MikeF » 21 Apr 2018, 3:20pm

"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

pwa

Re: Excuses excuses

Postby pwa » 21 Apr 2018, 3:35pm

I had to do a bit of reading to get any indication how far over the limit she had been. 26 is the figure I got, which makes it a fair cop in my book. The difference between 20 and 26 is significant. But in a way this shows that the system sometimes works because we can be sure that she is now paying a bit more attention in those 20 zones now she realises next time could cost her a lot.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 21 Apr 2018, 3:56pm

What a self entitled [rude word removed]!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Apr 2018, 4:04pm

The most positive thing I get from this is that the police are now - in some places at least - enforcing 20 mph zones. I can't claim to be ..er.. up-to-speed on things like this but for long enough only self-enforcing 20mph zones were permitted and my former colleague Mark Milsom caused a lot of shock and horror :shock: when he made the point at the All Party Cycling Charade.

viewtopic.php?p=639942#p639942

Presumably, the driver here has already benefited from a speed awareness course. I suspect that the timeline for the 9 points means that she isn't on the threshold of a totting up ban.

Apart from that, even this kind of bleating will get the message out to others with a heavy right foot. :D

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 21 Apr 2018, 5:56pm

But it's not just speeding "People caught speeding can pay to attend a driver awareness course instead of having points added to their licence, but Ms Allan said she did not have this option as she was recently caught driving through a red light."

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Apr 2018, 6:37pm

MikeF wrote:But it's not just speeding "People caught speeding can pay to attend a driver awareness course instead of having points added to their licence, but Ms Allan said she did not have this option as she was recently caught driving through a red light."

Sorry, mate, I didn't see that bit. :oops:

I hope it didn't appear that I was sticking up for this person who seems to be laying the foundations for a plea of exceptional hardship if she is caught again.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Apr 2018, 7:14pm

Dangerous and incompetent driver bleats about actually being censured for her inability to drive............no more to be said really

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 21 Apr 2018, 9:23pm

She got pinged for going through a red light. Not everyone does that I reckon. I've gone through on Amber before now (usually because I have a car, van or truck up my tailpipe leading up to the lights and I am not sure they'd stop before hitting me if I stopped as I should). I've never gone through on red. To do that you have to be completely ignoring the amber.

I mean amber lasts long enough such that if your within typical speed zones for areas with lights on junctions if it turns when you're passing you get through on amber. Or if it's red when you're going through you could have stopped before the junction because amber would have been showing for longer than the stopping distance at legal speeds I reckon. Going through on red means you've treated amber not as stop, but as go quicker or you'll get stopped at a red light. Amber means stop unless it's not safe to do so, I was always taught.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 21 Apr 2018, 9:33pm

She'll get another speeding ticket and get off due to exceptional hardship I bet.

BTW does anyone else find it a bit much to use her charity fund raising as a reason why she's a good person who doesn't deserve points for speeding?

She enjoys running and often big running events have lots of charity runners. Many of the biggest events are heavily oversubscribed such that the only way to guarantee a place is to get onto a charity team. These charities are given set numbers of places before the private runners are considered. How many of those charity fundraising runs are about her getting a place on a race and how many are about her actually doing it for the pure charity fundraising? Does that question make me sound too cynical?

Can I just say that whatever good you do in your life it rarely has any relevance to any motoring offence you commit. I helped a kitten out of a tree once so can you please wipe that 3 pointer speeding ticket I got when I was young and driving down a hill on a motorway in a car that could only break a motorway limit on a long downhill? No? OK then can the newspaper please delete all references to this annoying woman doing charity.

BTW I used to volunteer at an animal sanctuary too. Seriously I did.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Apr 2018, 9:50pm

She's had a daft rant and the reporter has taken her to town. She herself says she knows no-one will listen to her :lol:

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 21 Apr 2018, 9:55pm

Self-centred arrogance.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 21 Apr 2018, 10:23pm

Made to feel like a criminal for, er, doing something illegal.

Also
People caught speeding can pay to attend a driver awareness course instead of having points added to their licence, but Ms Allan said she did not have this option as she was recently caught driving through a red light.
takes the cake.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 21 Apr 2018, 10:57pm

“It’s really disappointing. I feel the system isn’t there to help people like me." The system" doesn't usually help law breakers, but sometimes it tries very hard for motorists if they sob hard enough. :evil: It's not as though she's received a complete driving ban - yet.

I do respect the 20mph limit but no one drives at that speed. So other people are the problem not her, but she has a speeding ticket. Hm :?

Username

Postby Username » 22 Apr 2018, 6:39am

I hate the womans excuses, but I agree with her cause. Its her "everyone else does it" thing that pisses me off. Thats irrelevant. When you go fishing do you catch ALL the fish in the sea? You just got seriously unlucky, but as a driver, speeding is just another bill.

“I do respect the 20mph limit but no one drives at that speed. It’s so hard to drive at that speed."

No you don't respect the 20 mph limit, and you generally shouldn't. 20mph is for car parks! 20mph is a decent speed on a bike, but its insane in a car.

pwa wrote:I had to do a bit of reading to get any indication how far over the limit she had been. 26 is the figure I got, which makes it a fair cop in my book. The difference between 20 and 26 is significant. But in a way this shows that the system sometimes works because we can be sure that she is now paying a bit more attention in those 20 zones now she realises next time could cost her a lot.

and someone being a ****in jobsworth in my book. The difference between 20 and 26 is small. Its significant only in percentage, not actual. The difference between 2000 and 2600 is actually big. Anyway this woman will likely be more focused on her speedo than on her surroundings.

The thing with speeding is to drive at a speed that is safe. The safe speed will vary substantially depending on weather, surface, surrounding activity and size/weight of your vehicle. I dont think safety can, or should be quantified so specifically. Rather a speed limit should be the maximum for which you cannot be prosecuted, not a thing for which you WILL be prosecuted if caught exceeding it. The logic hear being that if circumstances are favourable for faster driving, then the law should let you be.

pwa

Postby pwa » 22 Apr 2018, 6:50am

Username wrote:I hate the womans excuses, but I agree with her cause. Its her "everyone else does it" thing that pisses me off. Thats irrelevant. When you go fishing do you catch ALL the fish in the sea? You just got seriously unlucky, but as a driver, speeding is just another bill.

“I do respect the 20mph limit but no one drives at that speed. It’s so hard to drive at that speed."

No you don't respect the 20 mph limit, and you generally shouldn't. 20mph is for car parks! 20mph is a decent speed on a bike, but its insane in a car.

pwa wrote:I had to do a bit of reading to get any indication how far over the limit she had been. 26 is the figure I got, which makes it a fair cop in my book. The difference between 20 and 26 is significant. But in a way this shows that the system sometimes works because we can be sure that she is now paying a bit more attention in those 20 zones now she realises next time could cost her a lot.

and someone being a ****in jobsworth in my book. The difference between 20 and 26 is small. Its significant only in percentage, not actual. The difference between 2000 and 2600 is actually big. Anyway this woman will likely be more focused on her speedo than on her surroundings.

The thing with speeding is to drive at a speed that is safe. The safe speed will vary substantially depending on weather, surface, surrounding activity and size/weight of your vehicle. I dont think safety can, or should be quantified so specifically. Rather a speed limit should be the maximum for which you cannot be prosecuted, not a thing for which you WILL be prosecuted if caught exceeding it. The logic hear being that if circumstances are favourable for faster driving, then the law should let you be.

You say 26 is only a small bit over the 20 limit, but it is different enough to matter. If she had been doing 23 she would have got away with it, and that is her leeway. But there has to be a point where we say enough is enough, we gave her a bit of slack and she took that, and a bit more. She was closer to 30 than 20. Three times. After being caught jumping a red light. There seems to be a pattern to her behaviour, unless she is freakishly unlucky. Her excuse, that everybody does it, leaves me thinking she does this all the time and won't slow down unless she is made to.